• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism/Veganism and You

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
They are a result of all the extra nutrition where a river meets the sea, and this happens whether the source is from agricultural or natural vegetation, though obviously agricultural runoff is generally more intensely nutritious..

What we humans call garbage, is often vital nutrition and habitat for animals. In the middle of the ocean, in places once devoid of life, vegetation and fish thrive among floating garbage. It may not sound pretty to us, or mesh with our Little Mermaid visions of life under the sea, but the real wildlife is glad of it.

All this is not to say that humans are not guilty of any negative environmental impacts, staggering quantities of birds, large migrating species and birds of prey, are killed by pulmonary barotrauma- having their lungs sucked out by vacuums created by wind turbines, vastly more than the gulf oil spill killed - and every single year

Some comments are so totally devoid of wisdom that they don't deserve reply>

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would love to know where it is that you (or your religious tradition) stand(s) on the topic of vegetarianism and veganism. What does your religion say about it? What do you personally think about it? Are you considering or have you ever considered becoming a veg(etari)an? Are you now? If you are, how has your life been changed? How do you feel? Thanks a million for your wonderful responses! Blessings!
Hindus are great for vegetarianism (less only than the Jains). Some people think all Hindus are vegetarians. Figures show that some 30% are. There is no concept of being Vegan in India. Milk products are gratefully accepted and revered.

My tradition says vegetarianism is better. No less, no more, and then it leaves things to choice and tradition (even for beef. Our current Deputy Home Minister, Kiran Rijuju, is a Hindu and beef is not prohibited in his tradition). I think that is a correct stance.I was a vegan for two months and I liked it. But hankering for taste won.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
I don't think you can blame all those things on just animal farming. Like the ocean dead zones and the gigantic garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean.
The problem in general is human exploitation of Earth's resources, but animal agriculture and overfishing don't have to be the largest contributors to these environmental issues to be a part of the problem.

Know it all.

Shaman.
But...but...Jesus was a meat eater.
In only one (1) text it says that Jesus might have eaten part of a fish just to prove that He had really come back from the dead, and I see that one text as He might have only eaten the honeycomb, see Luke 24:42-43.

In other places Jesus fed the multitude "fish and loaves" but it does not say that Jesus ate the same.

In a old Testament prophesy about the coming Messiah it declares that = "... he had done no violence ..." per Isaiah 53:9 and so if Jesus ate any meat (eat violence) then He could not have been the true Messiah.

Know it all.

Shaman.
I'd say that we are given dominion over the animals, they are to be treated with respect as God's creations, but not equals, they are for our benefit one way or another.

So eating meat doesn't have to mean being cruel.. or something to feel bad about.
Lots of people quote the Bible saying people have dominion over the animals, but none ever quotes the following verses which tells people to be vegetarian:

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. KJV, Genesis 1:28-30
----------------

So it says DOMINION and directly thereafter it says to eat only the herb and fruit - not to eat the animals.

Know it all.

Shaman.
I do note that near the end of the book of Romans it was said to cut the vegetarians some slack respecting concience
That is correct.

It also says that people who are weak in faith eats only only herbs (vegetables), per Romans 14:1-2

I myself am weak in faith and by eating only vegetables it makes me stronger in the faith.

The correct translation would be like this = A person eats only vegetable in order to strengthen their faith.

Christianity has misinterpreted this text because of their vanity thinking that they are STRONG in faith so they can eat meat or anything, and they see it as weakness to not eat meat, and that is wrong. If they were truly strong in the faith then there are mountains that need to be moved, and there are miracles needing to done, and they do not have the humility to see their own faith as weak, and their faith is weaker by eating the animal meats.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible also gives Israelites dominion over other tribes, and masters over slaves and servants.
I wouldn't take it too seriously.

arthra

Baha'i
While we Baha'is do not forbid eating meat we nonetheless believe in the future meat eating will become less common.. whether this may be due to economics as raising cattle takes quite a bit of land and resources or because vegetables will also be more recognized as a healthy diet, I'm unsure or perhaps a combination of factors.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
While we Baha'is do not forbid eating meat we nonetheless believe in the future meat eating will become less common.. whether this may be due to economics as raising cattle takes quite a bit of land and resources or because vegetables will also be more recognized as a healthy diet, I'm unsure or perhaps a combination of factors.
Couldn't it be the realization that four-legged people deserve the same moral consideration as bipeds?
Baha'i is a progressive revelation; a progressive expansion of man's moral universe. First we learn to extend moral consideration to other tribes and races, then to whole other nations, eventually to all sentient, feeling creatures.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't have any religious policies concerning it, and while I couldn't go full vegetarian (I love seafood way too much) due to health, disgust at factory farming, and thinking about the animal being eaten I did cut way back on the amount of meat I eat, some days I don't eat any, and I'll be eating even less once I'm back out on my own again.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't have any religious policies concerning it, and while I couldn't go full vegetarian (I love seafood way too much) due to health, disgust at factory farming, and thinking about the animal being eaten I did cut way back on the amount of meat I eat, some days I don't eat any, and I'll be eating even less once I'm back out on my own again.
Is the fact that an action gives us pleasure, despite being in some way problematic, a legitimate excuse for continuing it?

Chakra

Premium Member
Couldn't it be the realization that four-legged people deserve the same moral consideration as bipeds?
Baha'i is a progressive revelation; a progressive expansion of man's moral universe. First we learn to extend moral consideration to other tribes and races, then to whole other nations, eventually to all sentient, feeling creatures.
If religion is the only reason why people go vegetarian/vegan, then there is a big problem.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hi, everyone! I hope everyone's lives are going beautifully! Because the Bahá'í Holy Writings exhort us to be kind to animals, treating them with the utmost dignity and respect, and I the fact that I've been contemplating this for a few years, I'm now re-considering becoming a vegetarian.

I would love to know where it is that you (or your religious tradition) stand(s) on the topic of vegetarianism and veganism. What does your religion say about it? What do you personally think about it? Are you considering or have you ever considered becoming a veg(etari)an? Are you now? If you are, how has your life been changed? How do you feel? Thanks a million for your wonderful responses! Blessings!

Going strictly by the Bible, at Genesis 9:3-4, Jehovah God allowed animals to serve as food for mankind, from Noah onward. Only blood should be avoided (emptied / drained out as much as possible.)

But if a person wants to be vegan, that's perfectly fine, too; the Bible doesn't say anything against veganism.....my wife is a total vegan. I don't think I could do it, though! I love my beef, cheese, and milk! Oh, well.

Take care, my friend.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Going strictly by the Bible, at Genesis 9:3-4, Jehovah God allowed animals to serve as food for mankind, from Noah onward. Only blood should be avoided (emptied / drained out as much as possible.)

But if a person wants to be vegan, that's perfectly fine, too; the Bible doesn't say anything against veganism.....my wife is a total vegan. I don't think I could do it, though! I love my beef, cheese, and milk! Oh, well.

Take care, my friend.

Indeed, Hockeycowboy. Thank you for your awesome opinion! Take care!