• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarian "Fastfood"

d.

_______
FatMan said:
If you are in NY what are you doing fooling around with the frozen stuff? Grab a falafel!!
exactly! anything falafel qualifies as top-notch junk food.

i'm like you lilithu - sometimes only greasy and spicy can satisfy me - and my favourite food of all time is fried halloumi cheese. it's so good i almost faint just thinking about it. i don't think it's terribly unhealthy, but it certainly satisfies my junk food cravings.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
FatMan said:
You can't go wrong with a falafel from a street cart in NYC.
I've never thought of New York falafels as anything particularly special, sorry. Pizza yes. :drool: The best falafel that I ever had was in Paris, in the Marais. The food in Paris was sooo good, and I didn't eat in fancy schmancy restaurants. I feasted on food from street vendors and shops. Crepes and pastries and falafel and grilled cheese sandwiches made in a press. I splurged on buying a panini press just because of the yummy sandwiches in Paris.

Now Toronto... one of the reasons why I want to live in Toronto is because they sell veggie dogs in their hotdog carts, along with like a dozen different kinds of condiments from all different ethnicities. It was awesome. And I had the best bubble tea in Toronto too.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
MaddLlama said:
Have you tried the Morning Star Farms microwave meals? Thier corn dogs are really good. Hot dogs are good too when you put some Boca chili on them. I really like thier nuggets with some duck sauce too.
Yeah, I love Morning Star Farms corn dogs. Also their sausage patties are delish. I actually prefer them over the "real" thing. But their bacon sucks, incredibly salty and dry.

Never tried Boca chili; it's so easy to make good veggie chili. I make one with mushrooms when I'm feeling meaty and one with garbanzo bean and squash when I'm feeling veggie. :p Plus I'm not a big fan of Boca burgers - I prefer Morning Star and Dr. Praegers - so I was less inclined to try the chili.

Veggie nuggets are ok. There's a company that makes spinach ones and broccoli ones which I prefer over the ones that are trying to be chicken. The ones that are mock chicken are dry and I have to dunk them in sauce to make them palatable. Sometimes they do the trick. Sometimes they just make me want the real thing all the more. When I get a real craving for spicy chicken wings I still have to go to my local Cluck U and pick up half a dozen with the nuclear sauce.

Kate's Corner in the Bowery in NYC specializes in vegetarian soul food, where I can get collard greens without worrying that they've been cooked with ham and grits without lard. Anyway, they make a veggie buffalo wing from tofu that's really good - not dry at all. Man, I miss New York.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Hmm, vegie fast-food. I hope you go through with that. Just remember to bring a store down here. I'm having (have)a bunch of stores opening near me, and I wouldn't mind walking across the street to pick up a vegie burger before going to work out, jumping to the movies, and grabbing a book.

FatMan

divine said:
and my favourite food of all time is fried halloumi cheese. i don't think it's terribly unhealthy, but it certainly satisfies my junk food cravings.

It's fried and it's cheese. Two major components to unhealthiness. The only thing that would hit the trifecta is if it were fried pepperoni cheese.

Hey, that actually sounds good.;)