• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarian "Fastfood"

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Just FYI, any food snobs who may be reading this should stop for your own benefit. We will not be talking about high cuisine here.

One of my many fantasies which will go unfulfilled (because I have too many of them and they're all impractical) is to open up a veggie diner or fastfood restaurant. I'm not vegetarian but I often prefer to eat vegetarian and one of my mild frustrations is the lack of good veggie junkfood/fastfood/comfort food/soul food. I don't know what to call it but what I'm refering to is the stuff you would find in a burger joint, diner, or cafeteria. Look, I like quinoa and tempeh as much as the next person but there's only so much "health food" I can eat. (And hold the alfalfa sprouts, please.) Sometimes what I really want is a chili cheese dog, or nice spicy buffalo wings or shepherds pie. (yummm...shepherd's pie....) The problem is that often no veggie versions exist or if they do they're... not good. So since there seem to be a lot of vegheads on RF (and honestly I use that term with affection), I'm hoping someone can help me out. Afterall, the more satisfying the veggie version the less often I'll be eating the meat version.

So if anyone has a good recipe for veggie shepherd's pie or mock buffalo wings, please share! Or other types of recipes for veggie version of diner food.

In the mean time, I'll confess what finally spurred me to post on this topic: pigs in a blanket. Yes, I had a craving for little cocktail weenies wrapped in a crescent roll. So what I did was stop by the grocery store on the way home and buy a pack of tofupups and a can of Pilsbury crescent rolls. (I just love those pop-open cans!) I cut the pups in half and rolled each half in a doughy triangly and baked as instructed. The results were... bland and kinda mushy. Tofupups just don't have the same texture as cocktail weenies, which is both a good and bad thing. I'm gonna try smartdogs next to see if that makes a difference. Any suggestions on how to zest up the flavor and/or texure?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm culinary challenged, so I can't offer much advice but I will say that I've recently become enchanted with veggie burritos. They're wonderful.

And I agree that fast food offers very few yummy veggie choices.

I saw in the grocery store, a meatless version of ground beef. Would that work in shepherd's pie?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
This isn't very "fast food" in nature but if you like feta cheese and tomatoes...I have a recipe for a very good Greek Spaghetti...totally meat free.

Hacker

lilithu said:
Just FYI, any food snobs who may be reading this should stop for your own benefit. We will not be talking about high cuisine here.

One of my many fantasies which will go unfulfilled (because I have too many of them and they're all impractical) is to open up a veggie diner or fastfood restaurant. I'm not vegetarian but I often prefer to eat vegetarian and one of my mild frustrations is the lack of good veggie junkfood/fastfood/comfort food/soul food. I don't know what to call it but what I'm refering to is the stuff you would find in a burger joint, diner, or cafeteria. Look, I like quinoa and tempeh as much as the next person but there's only so much "health food" I can eat. (And hold the alfalfa sprouts, please.) Sometimes what I really want is a chili cheese dog, or nice spicy buffalo wings or shepherds pie. (yummm...shepherd's pie....) The problem is that often no veggie versions exist or if they do they're... not good. So since there seem to be a lot of vegheads on RF (and honestly I use that term with affection), I'm hoping someone can help me out. Afterall, the more satisfying the veggie version the less often I'll be eating the meat version.

So if anyone has a good recipe for veggie shepherd's pie or mock buffalo wings, please share! Or other types of recipes for veggie version of diner food.

In the mean time, I'll confess what finally spurred me to post on this topic: pigs in a blanket. Yes, I had a craving for little cocktail weenies wrapped in a crescent roll. So what I did was stop by the grocery store on the way home and buy a pack of tofupups and a can of Pilsbury crescent rolls. (I just love those pop-open cans!) I cut the pups in half and rolled each half in a doughy triangly and baked as instructed. The results were... bland and kinda mushy. Tofupups just don't have the same texture as cocktail weenies, which is both a good and bad thing. I'm gonna try smartdogs next to see if that makes a difference. Any suggestions on how to zest up the flavor and/or texure?
I agree, I think that there should be more vegetarian friendly fast food joints, or better yet, more organic/vegetarian places!:yes:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
dawny0826 said:
This isn't very "fast food" in nature but if you like feta cheese and tomatoes...I have a recipe for a very good Greek Spaghetti...totally meat free.
The reason why I wrote "fast food" in the thread title (as opposed to junk food or comfort food, etc) was because it can also mean dishes that are fast/easy to prepare. Because honestly, asside from holidays I won't cook any recipe thats overly complicated.

Your feta and tomatoes pasta sounds like it might be simple, so it sounds like something that I would cook. So yes, please share. :yes:

The other thing I'm always looking for is good ideas for veggie sandwiches. (I have a panini press that grills both sides and makes the sandwich really crispy/toasty. I love grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are delish too. The peanut butter gets all warm and melty. mmmmmm.....

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
lilithu said:
The reason why I wrote "fast food" in the thread title (as opposed to junk food or comfort food, etc) was because it can also mean dishes that are fast/easy to prepare. Because honestly, asside from holidays I won't cook any recipe thats overly complicated.

Your feta and tomatoes pasta sounds like it might be simple, so it sounds like something that I would cook. So yes, please share. :yes:

The other thing I'm always looking for is good ideas for veggie sandwiches. (I have a panini press that grills both sides and makes the sandwich really crispy/toasty. I love grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are delish too. The peanut butter gets all warm and melty. mmmmmm.....

Cool. :)

I originally saw this in a Cooking Light book but I tweaked it.

It's pretty easy and you can tweak it to your tastes.

You'll need:

Whole Wheat Pasta
Tomatoes (I like to use either Four Large Garden Tomatoes or 6-8 Roma Tomatoes)
4 oz. feta cheese
Olive Oil
Chopped Green Onion (Per your taste)
1/2 cup Chopped White Onion
Lots of Fresh Garlic (Per your taste)
Basil 1 Tbsp. (or More...suit your tastebuds)
Oregano or Italian or Greek Seasoning 1 Tbsp. (or More...suit your tastebuds)
Juice of one lemon or several squirts of a that liquid lemon stuff.

As you can see, I truly am culinary challenged.

Still, I love this recipe because you can alter it to suit your tastes and you can't really go wrong. Basil and tomatoes are beautiful together and the Oregano and lemon juice give the dish a nice kick.

You'll heat your olive oil (I use a one to two teaspoon fulls) in a pan with fresh Garlic. I use lots. And then you'll add chopped tomatoe, chopped onion and seasonings and you'll saute until it's all tender. You'll add your lemon juice last.

You can have your pasta boiling while you do this.

When your pasta is done and your sauteed mixture is ready...you'll take it and pour it over and then toss into your pasta...you'll also add your feta cheese and toss that in there too.

This is so good. My entire family loves this spaghetti, even my two year old. It takes no time at all to make...it's full of flavor and it's healthy too.:D

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
There's a fantastic healthy Mexican restaurant here where the menu is about 80% vegetarian. They have things like sweet potato tamales, roasted veggie enchiladas with different combinations of vegetables and great sauces. They have veggie tacos and burritos, vegetarian chile rellenos. I was amazed how many traditionally-styled Mexican dishes could be reworked in a delicious and healthy vegetarian way.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
lilithu said:
Well, that would eliminate me.

One of my many fantasies which will go unfulfilled (because I have too many of them and they're all impractical) is to open up a veggie diner or fastfood restaurant. I'm not vegetarian but I often prefer to eat vegetarian and one of my mild frustrations is the lack of good veggie junkfood/fastfood/comfort food/soul food.
Would you mind opening it in Salt Lake? I'd be an everyday customer. Seriously. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Pssst...........a little secret:

If you have a natural/organic supermarket in your area (like Wild Oats national food chain), you can go to their buffet for some "fast food" that's organic and meat-free. They do offer meat-based food choices, but I stopped by our local Wild Oats one day after our dharma discussion group and chowed down on some awesome Kung-Pao Tofu on a bed of rice. It cost me a little more than $4.00 for a container of that dish and some Naked Green Juice, and I was in heaven and still eating healthy.

Personally, I'd love to see a vegetarian/vegan fast-food chain, too, that serves good-tasting soy/tempeh burgers, mock-chicken tofu wraps, and oven-baked potato wedges. Get a juice bar in there, too, and it's all set to go. :)

Peace,
Mystic

FatMan

You can't go wrong with a falafel from a street cart in NYC.

Well you can, but not until the next day!!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm with MysticSang'ha. I'd love to see a chain of vegetarian fast-food joints.
True, I can get veggie stuff at Wild Oats or my local Co-Op, but it's prohibitively expensive.
I never eat out.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I know a great recipe for a fantastic snack with no suffering for animals involved.

First get an apple, then eat it. ;)

FatMan

Jaiket said:
I know a great recipe for a fantastic snack with no suffering for animals involved.

First get an apple, then eat it. ;)

The screams from the apple can sometimes be deafening though.

syoonsh

You should try to look for Korean side dishes which is mostly they are

made from vegetables...either you can eat with rice or other entrees you like.....

or see a picture below which I posted and you'll have an idea what I am talking about...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Seyorni said:
I'm with MysticSang'ha. I'd love to see a chain of vegetarian fast-food joints.
True, I can get veggie stuff at Wild Oats or my local Co-Op, but it's prohibitively expensive.
I never eat out.
Yeah, it's weird. There's a huge potential market for it, and no one capitalizing on that. The closest thing we have to veggie fast food is Oodle Noodle.

FatMan

syoonsh said:
You should try to look for Korean side dishes which is mostly they are

made from vegetables...either you can eat with rice or other entrees you like.....

or see a picture below which I posted and you'll have an idea what I am talking about...

Kimchee.....yummm

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
doppelgänger said:
There's a fantastic healthy Mexican restaurant here where the menu is about 80% vegetarian. They have things like sweet potato tamales, roasted veggie enchiladas with different combinations of vegetables and great sauces. They have veggie tacos and burritos, vegetarian chile rellenos. I was amazed how many traditionally-styled Mexican dishes could be reworked in a delicious and healthy vegetarian way.
Sounds great! As long as the rellenos aren't fried in lard aren't they vegetarian anyway?

Yeah, I find gems here and there. In SoCal theres a small chain of restaurants called Senior Fish. As their name suggests they're not vegetarian, rather they specialize in seafood - fish tacos, ceviche tostadas, scallop burritos , all delish - BUT they have a potato taco on the menu that is heaven. It's potato and other seasonings folded into a corn tortilla and quickly deep-fried. Almost like a somosa but better. :drool:

And in another restaurant in SoCal I used to the greenbean tacos all the time.

And in NYC there is this grrreeat Cuban restaurant that serves authentic vegetarian Cuban food. The black bean and advocado torta is my favorite. Anyone who goes there also has to get the roasted corn. Man, I'm hungry.

In my neighborhood in DC there is an old family-owned restaruant named Ben's Chili Bowl. This is NOT health food. It's chili, chili burgers, chili dogs, chili fries... but they make a veggie chili. So I can go, hang out with friends, and partake of chili cheese fries which is one of my favorite comfort foods.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Have you tried the Morning Star Farms microwave meals? Thier corn dogs are really good. Hot dogs are good too when you put some Boca chili on them. I really like thier nuggets with some duck sauce too.

FatMan

MaddLlama said:
Have you tried the Morning Star Farms microwave meals? Thier corn dogs are really good. Hot dogs are good too when you put some Boca chili on them. I really like thier nuggets with some duck sauce too.

If you are in NY what are you doing fooling around with the frozen stuff? Grab a falafel!!