• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Value Judgements: Misotheism

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The "hatred of God" or "hatred of the gods" (from the Greek adjective misotheos (μισόθεος) "hating the gods" or "God-hating" – a compound of, μῖσος, "hatred" and, θεός, "god").

Misotheism - Wikipedia

Is this a better way to describe those that are Militant Atheists? A Misotheist. This seems more appropriate in my eyes, but maybe not from an Atheist's perspective?

epronovost

That's absurd. Such "militant atheists" don't hate God or gods. They hate religious people (and their values), not their imaginary friends. Misotheist could actually describe more accurately the attitude of some Christian sects toward the Satan as some sort of hated adverserial deity.

Bear Wild

This may be a better question for a different thread, but what "Values" do all "Religious" people encompass?

They find something sacred and important in the world or in the supernatural. They try to find a meaning that connects them and their world. For me it is this precious sacred world. I am not truly atheistic yet definitely not theistic in the Abrahamic world of a single god. I do not believe in the supernatural but celebrate this natural world of ours. But like all groups there are those atheists that are repulsed by anything claiming religion and there are those atheists that embrace religion and its meaning to humans. The same is true for humans too. I like to believe there is enough mystery in this world that allows me to Celebrate Hertha and feel Thor's presence while giving respect to Cailleach without needing to believe in the supernatural. And yet I hold evolution in reverence and respect what science has taught me while passionate about what nature has also taught me without a single experiment.
That may all sound a bit confusing but somehow I have an amazing peace and felling of connection in the strange balance.

epronovost

I think he's probably referring to the Christian hegemony that we have in the U.S.

No, some atheists have the same contempt for New Age woo as for Abrahamic religious dogmas or that of neopagan. There are commonlalities between all those religious groups.

syo

The "hatred of God" or "hatred of the gods" (from the Greek adjective misotheos (μισόθεος) "hating the gods" or "God-hating" – a compound of, μῖσος, "hatred" and, θεός, "god").

Misotheism - Wikipedia

Is this a better way to describe those that are Militant Atheists? A Misotheist. This seems more appropriate in my eyes, but maybe not from an Atheist's perspective?
Nah. Atheists just don't know. Hate doesn't appear.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Misotheism - Wikipedia
I am a strong atheist but I do not hate Gods and Goddesses of my own religion* or those of other pagan religions. The problem is created by the followers of Monotheist / Abrahamic religions, who honk horns in a zone of silence. See in various forums. They would hog all discussions, quoting at length from their scriptures, singing the praises of their God / Allah or his so-called prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / Mahdis, and if you ask them for proof, they have absolutely none. They all have their holy duty to take their message to even those people who do not desire it. That creates conflicts. Would you like a loud-speaker to blare benefits of snake oil in your neighborhood day and night?
* I am an atheist, but I am still a staunch Hindu. Hinduism accepts my kind of atheism.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I am a strong atheist but I do not hate Gods and Goddesses of my own religion or those of other pagan religions. The problem is created by the followers of Monotheist / Abrahamic religions, who honk horns in a zone of silence. See in various forums. They would hog all discussions, quoting at length from their scriptures, singing the praises of their God / Allah or his so-called prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / Mahdis, and if you ask them for proof, they have absolutely none. They all have their holy duty to take their message to even those people who do not desire it. That creates conflicts. Would you like a loud-speaker blare benefits of snake oil in your neighborhood day and night?

Only certain religious groups prosyletize like that, and I wasn't implying all Atheists are Militant atheists. I am more meaning those who like your prosyletizing friends you mentioned, are going around just as vehemently demeaning and trying to undermine those practicing their faith, and are trying to mind their own business. Like the Atheist friend of mine who constantly posts about how every religious person is Ignorant, for having belief and faith. Or that Religion, or God, somehow only applies to their religious background,of which they now vocally despise. Which in my opinion is unnecessarily hostile to those who hold these beliefs/views/values.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That's absurd. Such "militant atheists" don't hate God or gods. They hate religious people (and their values), not their imaginary friends. Misotheist could actually describe more accurately the attitude of some Christian sects toward the Satan as some sort of hated adverserial deity.

Are you a "militant atheist?"

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Because it prevents us to be critical of it. Something sacred cannot be criticised or abandonned under any circumstances.

I find that untrue. I abandon things that are Sacred quite frequently, after critical analysis, or a change in views.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Because it prevents us to be critical of it. Something sacred cannot be criticised or abandonned under any circumstances.
Buddhas 'Kesamutti Sutta' (also known as Kalama Sutta - how to get out of a hold that anything has on your hair):

"Thus, the Buddha named ten specific sources whose knowledge should not be immediately viewed as truthful without further investigation to avoid fallacies:
Oral history, Traditional News sources, Scriptures or other official texts, Suppositional reasoning, Philosophical dogmatism, Common sense, One's own opinions, Experts, Authorities or one's own teacher"
Kesamutti Sutta - Wikipedia

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Then they were not sacred in the first place. They were a fancy of yours.

Who are you to know and suppose my values? It's obvious you have know understanding of what Sacred means, outside of a dictionary.

The act of Sacrificing a Sacred object is an act of Reverence and Worship in my tradition. And the more Sacred the item, the better. It goes to the Fire, so it goes to the Gods.

Also, to change ones mind and views as one grows is not the indication of a passing "Fancy" either, it's an indication of growth and change.

You appear mighty pessimistic.