• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU Identity (and who in the Spirit of Life's name am I?)

Lucian

Theologian
I would actually respond to the question "Are you a Christian?" with "Yes, I am a Unitarian!". I don't think Unitarianism has left its Christianity - it's just the mainstream English-speaking that has done that, along with some non-English speaking congregations as well. I have a problem with how to associate with them, since I'm a Christian, I intend to pass this tradition (which is almost 2000 years old, while institutionally almost 500 years in the form of the Hungarian Unitarians) forward as it has been, as Christian, and I don't consider all religions equally true (while accepting that wisdom is wisdom wherever it appears), would not want to take part in another religion's worship (only to observe), and yet at the same I belong to the same ICUU with others who claim they are no longer Christian. Also, it seems that every time there is a UU discussion, it's about American political or social issues, or 1960s social activism, which are very distant and impossible topics.

applewuud

By the way, welcome back Lilithu:D. You have been missed!

A crucial piece of the UU identity, to me, is that "revelation (and therefore our religion) is not sealed". Most religions have arrived at specific creeds and ceremonies, and decided on particular holy texts, as the ultimate and last word that should not be deviated from. So your blending of Hindu, Muslim, Christian, and even Baha'i practices and ideas is a good example of a syncretic religion (although most UUs don't know what "syncretic" is).

Like scientists, we draw on previous ideas and experiment with new ones in an effort to find better knowledge. We don't think that the ideas of people in the Bronze Age or medieval times can't be improved upon. We're open to looking at cultures outside our own.

Historically, our story is of those pilgrims who came to a new world to find God outside the existing church structures; the pilgrims who weren't "Puritans" (seeking to impose their own orthodoxy on everyone), but true pilgrims on a search through life, wherever it might take them. We're the Pilgrims who kept on pilgriming.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I'm somewhat familiar with Emerson, but don't have a fully expressed knowledge of his writings about Eastern and Western spiritual language, and am interested to know if you would recommend anything to pick up, as I myself would tend to say Buddhism and Christianity are two foundational blocks in my Spiritual home... 'Me'. :)

:namaste
I don't know how familiar you are with the Hindu concepts of atman and Paramatman, roughly translated as self and UltraSelf** or soul and UltraSoul. If you read Emerson's essay "The OverSoul," in it he describes his view of God. Not only does it sound like the Hindu view, but he actually calls it "OverSoul." At first I thought that was a really odd coincidence, but later I read that Emerson and the other Transcendentalists studied Hindu and Buddhist texts. And Emerson wrote a poem entitled "Brahman."

(**The Buddha claimed anatman, no-self. But some folk claim that anataman is Paramatman. Certainly when Buddhist talk about us all having Buddha-nature it seems that way.)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I don't know how familiar you are with the Hindu concepts of atman and Paramatman, roughly translated as self and UltraSelf** or soul and UltraSoul. If you read Emerson's essay "The OverSoul," in it he describes his view of God. Not only does it sound like the Hindu view, but he actually calls it "OverSoul." At first I thought that was a really odd coincidence, but later I read that Emerson and the other Transcendentalists studied Hindu and Buddhist texts. And Emerson wrote a poem entitled "Brahman."

(**The Buddha claimed anatman, no-self. But some folk claim that anataman is Paramatman. Certainly when Buddhist talk about us all having Buddha-nature it seems that way.)

I know the concept well..... Hindu and Buddhist....
Sort of see them as apophatic vs catophatic difference, two side of the same coin.

Will look up these poems. Thank UU ;)

We're the Pilgrims who kept on pilgriming.

I really like this.

I am still trying to discover my own spiritual identity, and Unitarian Universalism is part of that journey for my boyfriend and I. We dearly love the church and what it has to offer!

I only wish that there were more young adults to talk to.

I have one question though. I have heard about the criticism that exists with Unitarian Universalists not being UU enough because they adopt a hyphen with another spiritual label.

Some say that such UU's can not find wealth in their own spiritual tradition that they have to 'borrow' from others. Others say that it is just part of the ever-evolving UU paradigm.

What do y'all think of this?

Maija

However, things began to change as I myself began my transition as a transsexual woman last year. Although I had legalised my name according to my religious community, I quickly lost faith. I reasoned, how can I support a religious community that can not even allow same-sex marriage, when it has been part of our Canadian identity for about ten years now?

Hi Gaura :)

I was wondering which religious community you were referring to in this statement? This is not a challenge question, just clarification.

I hope you find your religious home or with the assistance of your course on creating your own theology, are able to create that strong spiritual identity within you that doesn't feel the need to rely on labels..at least I'm working on that.

Much love and warm thoughts..

Hi Gaura :)

I was wondering which religious community you were referring to in this statement? This is not a challenge question, just clarification.

I hope you find your religious home or with the assistance of your course on creating your own theology, are able to create that strong spiritual identity within you that doesn't feel the need to rely on labels..at least I'm working on that.

Much love and warm thoughts..

I was actually thinking of two in mind: SCS Math (Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math), and ISKCON (the International Society for Krishna Consciousness).

But for me, it could be extended to any religion that is against same-sex marriages, such as the Catholic Church, or the Haifan Baha'i Faith.

On an unrelated but somewhat related note, I took this wonderful UU course at the church, called "Building Your Own Theology" and it was very helpful! It was too American for my taste, but I still enjoyed the process and the togetherness the course fostered!

I would actually respond to the question "Are you a Christian?" with "Yes, I am a Unitarian!". I don't think Unitarianism has left its Christianity - it's just the mainstream English-speaking that has done that, along with some non-English speaking congregations as well. I have a problem with how to associate with them, since I'm a Christian, I intend to pass this tradition (which is almost 2000 years old, while institutionally almost 500 years in the form of the Hungarian Unitarians) forward as it has been, as Christian, and I don't consider all religions equally true (while accepting that wisdom is wisdom wherever it appears), would not want to take part in another religion's worship (only to observe), and yet at the same I belong to the same ICUU with others who claim they are no longer Christian. Also, it seems that every time there is a UU discussion, it's about American political or social issues, or 1960s social activism, which are very distant and impossible topics.

You know, I feel this invisible polarisation between Christian Unitarianism, and Unitarian Universalism, and it's somewhat confusing and a struggle, i'll bet!

I myself am at a loss at the strange disconnection between the two movements. Canada has traditionally called the faith tradition 'Unitarianism,' especially with its continuity and affinity with the movement's history in Britain, but being that the term seems more akin towards a Christian definition, I find that 'Unitarian Universalism' is much better and more accurate to describe the Canadian presentation of its religious values.

Do you know about DRUUMM? Diverse and Revolutionary Unitarian Universalist Multicultural Ministries. It's the main people of color group
within the UUA. Sometimes some of the members are a little too angry for my tastes, but in general i've found it to be a comfort since there are so few of us within UUism. There is also a young adult caucus but I can't tell you much about them since I am not. :p

I wish there were more connectivity with the UUA in Canada, but I don't think there is much of an extension with DRUUMM, but I will check them out anyways. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

applewuud

It would be very helpful for you to go to a General Assembly in the U.S. sometime. There, all the "hyphens": UU Christians, UU Pagans, HUUmanists, UUs for Jewish Awareness, have their own booths in the exhibit hall with their own literature to peruse. There are breakout sessions where different groups present speakers in their own interest area, and I've really enjoyed those a lot. You would enjoy the fact young adult special interest groups and meetings at GA, as well.

You mention a tension about "hyphenation", I think it comes from the UUA office that felt we were becoming split by these hyphens; they cut funding from these groups (largely for budget reasons, but still..). At the church/fellowship/congregation level I don't feel such tension...except perhaps by the humanists, who in many UU churches had it all to themselves and are a bit upset by the increasing "god talk" and by the acceptance of what they see as superstition; similar to what Sam Harris complains about in "The End of Faith", that religious moderates serve as a "cover" for religious fundamentalists. There were several Huumanist presentations at GA over the year which were asking whether humanists can stay within the UUA or should withdraw. :no:

It's ironic to me, because our tradition is richest in its humanist and liberal roots. We draw from the humanist side of other religions, not from the authoritarian sides--that's a core of our identity.

Last edited:

seeker57

I attended GA this past June and found exactly what you described. There were many sub-groups in the exhibit hall.

But we all came together in the big auditorium for communal services. It was a wonderful experience.

As for how we describe Unitarian Universalism, I think it is important to understand, as someone already pointed out, that we are not finished with revelation and our faith tradition is always growing and changing.

We just had a service a few weeks ago in my congregation talking about how, for UUs, revelation is still occurring. The universe is still unfolding, mankind is still learning, nature is still revealing itself.

As was mentioned, other faiths have their dogma set in stone. They have their truth, their set doctrine and their creeds, and don't expect that to change or evolve.

However, I, for one, relish the idea that we are still evolving and, in fact that Unitarian Universalism itself is still evolving.

So, how to describe Unitarian Universalism?

The Rev. Angela Herrera, associate pastor at First Unitarian in Albuquerque, described UU faith as this:

"Unitarian Universalism is a living tradition with ancient roots. We covenant to walk together without a creed. And, because each person is a sacred part of the web of life, we work for justice and care for the earth."

I do believe Unitarian Universalism is its own faith that started as a liberal Christian tradition and has now evolved beyond that.

But, our faith has grown by examining other traditions and looking at different aspects of other faith traditions. Through this, we are able to get another glimpse of the divine, or of nature, etc. It is because of this I really don't have any trouble incorporating hyphenated UUs into our congregation.

I hope this made some sort of sense.

Peace,

Seeker

Last edited: