• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use it or loose it?

agorman

Premium Member
Hi, I have a maybe ridiculous fear if I try the "think of nothing" meditation.

I'm afraid if I stay prolonged periods of time without thinking, someday I won't be able to think anymore. And thus, I won't be able to do anything anymore, like work or communicate with other people, etc. :eek:

But I know a guy who meditates like that, without thinking, for 8 hours every Saturday and that didn't happen, so what do you guys say about this? Thank you...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm afraid if I stay prolonged periods of time without thinking, someday I won't be able to think anymore. And thus, I won't be able to do anything anymore, like work or communicate with other people, etc. :eek:

But I know a guy who meditates like that, without thinking, for 8 hours every Saturday and that didn't happen, so what do you guys say about this? Thank you...

Ha Ha Ha!!!! Zombie Buddhists! :OP

Luminous

non-existential luminary

How much do you think during your sleep? perhaps it is dangerous to sleep. :D
And If you don't ride a bike for a while, you'll never be able to ride a bike ever again! hahahahahahah
It is hard for the young to meditate because they are not likely evolutionarily supposed to... you should meditate once you've already had children and need some calm :)
some people are probably inept at meditation,
meditation is dangerous because it may open your hypnogotic gate, allow persuasions to manifest easily within your subconscious. however, the hypnogotic gate opens right before deep sleep. so maybe sleep is also dangerous in that way. hahhahahah good question though.

Last edited:

agorman

Premium Member
How much do you think during your sleep? perhaps it is dangerous to sleep.

Well, the brain actually works a lot during sleep, although I'm not sure if it thinks the same way as when awake.

meditation is dangerous because it may open your hypnogotic gate, allow persuasions to manifest easily within your subconscious.

Dangerous... Huh? What do you mean by persuasions? Do you mean the ajna chakra opens and someone may see things he or she isn't used to? The dangers of clairvoyance?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It is hard for the young to meditate because they are not likely evolutionarily supposed to... you should meditate once you've already had children and need some calm :)
Mmm, I disagree with this--I've been meditating since I was about 13. Sometimes it's a bit tricky, depending on my mindset and stress levels, but I've not found it any easier getting older or having kids - just notice I have less time to do it without being harassed for something. ;)

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Well, the brain actually works a lot during sleep, although I'm not sure if it thinks the same way as when awake.

Dangerous... Huh? What do you mean by persuasions? Do you mean the ajna chakra opens and someone may see things he or she isn't used to? The dangers of clairvoyance?
No, I mean Pscychology and the dangers of hypnosis. Are you saying the brain does not work when you meditate? that might be dangerous, yes :p

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!

Hmmmmm. I've never been successful with that sort of meditation, but there are so many other styles that it's not funny. My own school's primary meditation style is mantra chanting, rather than silent sitting of whatever type.

I sure wish I could do a 8 hour meditation without thinking. That would be a feat. But I think that is not the idea in meditaion. It is just to have as few running (monkey) thoughts as we can. I do some hour of meditation daily and I haven't gone stupid yet, I think!

Enjoy your meditation.

zer0

Just because the brain is active in deep sleep does not mean that you are thinking. If your definition of thinking is that the brain is active then I see your fears. Meditation is not looking to shutdown your brain, that would be death.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

So far as my understanding goes, the dhyana/zen approach is not about trying to 'think of nothing', but about the training of the mind to be in a state of stillness whereby there are no conceptual thoughts present to disturb it.

When the mind state of cessation of thoughts is present, what is present is not 'nothing' but the pure reality for which human minds thinks endlessly in the attempt conceptualize/realize. Concerning this 'pure reality' that is realized when the mind is still, nothing can ever be said of it because description involves mind conceptualizing movement which obscures IT.

agorman

Premium Member
So, ben d, dhyana it's about remaining in a state of impartial observation? Again, how do you go about living your life if you don't ever conceptualize? If you don't plan what you're going to do next, if you don't express yourself in concepts, etc?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So, ben d, dhyana it's about remaining in a state of impartial observation? Again, how do you go about living your life if you don't ever conceptualize? If you don't plan what you're going to do next, if you don't express yourself in concepts, etc?

Excellent questions agorman. :)

Clearly it is not possible to function in 'this world' in the stilled mind state, so aspirants will sooner or later give up and live in world's consensus conceptual reality of mind along with the rest of humanity or stay the 'path' and realize 'enlightenment'. Of course there is a third possibility for those who spend their life practicing meditation part time but as the saying goes,..'one cannot serve two masters without serving one second best!'

Concerning the transition from functioning in a state of 'normal' conceptual mind reality to that of realizing ultimate non-conceptual mind reality, it should be understood that there is due process that may take many many years of difficult trials hardships, but eventually as disciple passes away, the Buddha emerges.

While the Tathagata, in his teaching, constantly makes use of conceptions and ideas about them, disciples should keep in mind the unreality of all such conceptions and ideas. They should recall that the Tathagata, in making use of them in explaining the Dharma always uses them in the semblance of a raft that is of use only to cross a river. As the raft is of no further use after the river is crossed, it should be discarded. So these arbitrary conceptions of things and about things should be wholly given up as one attains enlightenment. -Buddha ...

nevaya

Nevaya, this is a DIR forum.
Ya, and if this guy can go 8hrs a day everyday without a thought, he's gonna get stupid or at least not any more intelligent, socially speaking, so what will happen when you get old if studies show if you dont use it you lose. Just trying to be helpful.:sarcastic

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
With respect nevaya, your thoughts about aspiring Buddhists who meditate for long periods becoming stupid or socially dysfunctional are not altogether unusual, but do please consider that the sincere aspirant's goal is one that is free from samsara*.

* Samsara is the cyclical world of suffering produced by the mind which clings to the objects of perception in a constant round of desire, ignorance, and frustration. As such it is a distorted, confused view which only ends with the realization of nirvana - so it does end with Buddhahood.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Ya, and if this guy can go 8hrs a day everyday without a thought, he's gonna get stupid or at least not any more intelligent, socially speaking, so what will happen when you get old if studies show if you dont use it you lose. Just trying to be helpful.:sarcastic
Take a look at some of the studies that have been done showing brain scans of long-time meditators. You might find the results interesting.........

www.andynewberg.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation_(alternative_medicine)

Meditation changes brain structure, confirms new research

TurkeyOnRye

The point of meditation is to expand awareness to the point that mental activity only appears to be still. It's not about shutting anything off. If you want to turn off the mind, go to bed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Doesn't work that way as your not dealing with actual cessation of thought. :O)