• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Crisis

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
How can this be "solved" ?

- in the immediate short term
- in the longer term

I mean realistically, possibly, practically, likely, politically doable. Best case? Worst case?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

- in the longer term

I mean realistically, possibly, practically, likely, politically doable. Best case? Worst case?

It will only be solved once people are educated and taught to think critically, which is highly unlikely. Also, get rid of that two party system as it was inevitable that it would create polarization between left and right. There should be an in between party. As KAT-KAT said, history repeats itself.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

- in the longer term

For the short term you need Community leadership to step up. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone that wants to. The children did it in Parkland and during various other uprising there was a focused leadership. Until they have a focus it is difficult to stop.

For the long term you need to rebuild government which realistically is not going to happen without a larger revolt. All the civil unrest problems in the US are currently created by our government, which has become govern for wealth. Government is no longer interested in what's best for the United States but what's best for them to hold on to power and money

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
It will only be solved once people are educated and taught to think critically, which is highly unlikely. Also, get rid of that two party system as it was inevitable that it would create polarization between left and right. There should be an in between party. As KAT-KAT said, history repeats itself.
I don't know about an "in-between" party. The polarization is mostly around wedge issues to produce this vitriol and distract everyone away from what the government is really doing. Keeping everyone focused on these wedge issues allows both parties to keep people from thinking outside of the box created by these wedge issues.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I don't know about an "in-between" party. The polarization is mostly around wedge issues to produce this vitriol and distract everyone away from what the government is really doing. Keeping everyone focused on these wedge issues allows both parties to keep people from thinking outside of the box created by these wedge issues.

HAHA! That is actually a very good point.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Dems & Pubs are the in-between parties.
How so?
Those of us on the extreme fringes see the Big Two parties
fighting over the few percentage voters in the middle who
could go either way. The other voters will vote for their
party no matter who runs. (2016 is one example of terrible
choices getting nearly all the votes between them.)

Instead, I say that we need more 3rd party voters.
Some anti-war extremists to curb Ameristan's appetite for
military foreign adventurism. Some anti-tax types to cut
back on wanton spending. I'm sure you could think of
radical changes you'd like. But you won't get "radical"
from the Big Two....just more of the same old same old.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The Dems & Pubs are the in-between parties.
How so?
Those of us on the extreme fringes see the Big Two parties
fighting over the few percentage voters in the middle who
could go either way. The other voters will vote for their
party no matter who runs. (2016 is one example of terrible
choices getting nearly all the votes between them.)

Instead, I say that we need more 3rd party voters.
Some anti-war extremists to curb Ameristan's appetite for
military foreign adventurism. Some anti-tax types to cut
back on wanton spending. I'm sure you could think of
radical changes you'd like. But you won't get "radical"
from the Big Two....just more of the same old same old.

The more parties the better IMO. The Dems and Pubs are definitely not as extreme as some people but I think the two parties create a perception that there are only two views to the uneducated. Why is it only two parties at the moment anyway?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The more parties the better IMO. The Dems and Pubs are definitely not as extreme as some people but I think the two parties create a perception that there are only two views to the uneducated. Why is it only two parties at the moment anyway?
We have many parties, but the Big Two dominate.
I think this is because they really do represent about 90% of voters,
the continual carping about how awful they are notwithstanding.
People complain about the wars, but then they vote for candidates
who started & continued the wars. They complain about high taxes,
but then vote for candidates who tax & spend.

The one thing voters have in common is that they like to complain.
But actually doing something to effect change....not so much.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I'm feeling pretty jaded and cynical and I have a hard time seeing a path out of the current situation for the US. The fact the US is circling the failed state drain is tragic, but what's even worse is that once the US goes, you'll take most of the Western World with you. The crash is coming, the only question is ' how bad will it be'?

PureX

Veteran Member
The solution is simple. We need to vote every incumbent candidate out of office in every election, regardless of their party affiliation, unless and until we get someone in office that has shown themselves willing to ACT (not just talk) to stop the wholesale corruption of our legislative branch of government by legalized bribery.

Both parties have been totally corrupted by the people who pay for their political campaigns, for their many perks in office (dinners, vacations, travel, etc.), for their family members high-dollar-do-nothing jobs, and for their own high-dollar-do-nothing jobs when they leave public office. All these in exchange for legislation favoring the wealthy people and corporations that are paying them, and at the expense of their representing the American people. It's why our legislative representatives no onger represent the best interests of the people thy are supposed to be representing. They have been corrupted by all that legalized bribe money.

And nothing can or will change so long as that bribery remains legal. Yet it's the people who are taking all that bribe money that determine whether or not it's legal. And they, of course, have determine that it is.

So the only way for us to stop the bribery and corruption is to throw them ALL out of office, and keep throwing them out until they get the message and start acting to stop the bribery and corruption of their own legislative houses.

This is no longer a republican vs democratic issue. And we have to stop voting as if it is. We have to start voting with the idea of cleaning out BOTH sides of the isles of Congress and the Senate. Because they are ALL CORRUPT at this point. And nothing can change until that corruption is mitigated, because they are making the laws that control how our society functions.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

- in the longer term

In the immediate short term, the only thing we can do is try to appeal for calm and restore order. Regardless of where anyone stands on politics, most people don't want this disruption and chaos in their lives. There's an added complication of all this happening in the wake of societal lockdown due to the coronavirus, along with escalating foreign policy rhetoric and sanctions.

Much of what we're seeing now could have been (and was) foreseen, at least in a generalized way. Ever since the Reagan years, a small minority of people have warned that our policies were irresponsible and reckless, while the vast majority simply laughed and said "don't worry, be happy." I guess they're not laughing now.

Part of the problem we're having at present is that there seems to be a widespread inability to recognize our own mistakes, as a country. This phenomenon has appeared to be more magnified since the 2016 election. I've noticed more and more people who are woefully out of touch and short-sighted.

As for long-term solutions, if you're asking about "politically doable" solutions, I'm not sure if there is one at present. Part of the problem is within the political culture itself, as well as an excess of emotionalism in political rhetoric. There are too many "sacred cows" and false idols in high places - and both parties revere them and use them. (One example is excessive worship of the police or anyone in uniform, which is a malady that can be discerned among most mainstream political factions.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Clearly we need an online survey of each voter on policies and what changes s/he'd like to see. Click on 'analyse', and the candidates most in line with his or her views will appear.

Just vote for the one most in accord.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I agree a two party (essentially) system and FPTP voting are outdated and problematic. They are prone to disenfranchising many people, meaning they feel little in the way of representation or investment in the political system.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The solution is simple. We need to vote every incumbent candidate out of office in every election, regardless of their party affiliation, unless and until we get someone in office that has shown themselves willing to ACT (not just talk) to stop the wholesale corruption of our legislative branch of government by legalized bribery.

Both parties have been totally corrupted by the people who pay for their political campaigns, for their many perks in office (dinners, vacations, travel, etc.), for their family members high-dollar-do-nothing jobs, and for their own high-dollar-do-nothing jobs when they leave public office. All these in exchange for legislation favoring the wealthy people and corporations that are paying them, and at the expense of their representing the American people. It's why our legislative representatives no onger represent the best interests of the people thy are supposed to be representing. They have been corrupted by all that legalized bribe money.

And nothing can or will change so long as that bribery remains legal. Yet it's the people who are taking all that bribe money that determine whether or not it's legal. And they, of course, have determine that it is.

So the only way for us to stop the bribery and corruption is to throw them ALL out of office, and keep throwing them out until they get the message and start acting to stop the bribery and corruption of their own legislative houses.

This is no longer a republican vs democratic issue. And we have to stop voting as if it is. We have to start voting with the idea of cleaning out BOTH sides of the isles of Congress and the Senate. Because they are ALL CORRUPT at this point. And nothing can change until that corruption is mitigated, because they are making the laws that control how our society functions.
In practice, how can this be achieved? Is it realistic to vote for other parties? Do people need to start up new parties, that could push for power?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Democratic empowerment of all people. You just base all your political decisions around that.
Amd end up with people like Pence who hack and chop at minority rights. And this day amd time, with misleading information so widely available and easily accessible like never before, with those believing able to seek out and reinforce eachother like never before, democracy must be balanced out. And not by a winner take all system either. More like a proportionate representation where candidates and actions of politicians are subject to something basically akin to an IRB review (with this required to be secular in nature). Today especially we have too many people fearing for their rights, amd a democratic vote partially explains that concern.

PureX

Veteran Member
In practice, how can this be achieved? Is it realistic to vote for other parties? Do people need to start up new parties, that could push for power?
Realistically, both parties are totally corrupted, and are passing into law whatever legislation their rich sponsors give them and tell them to pass. And this has been going on for many decades. It's why our government officials cannot make responsible decisions on behalf the well-being of the country or it's citizens, anymore. And it's why they never will, again, unless we stop the wholesale corruption caused by legalized bribery.

We have to stop thinking in terms of parties. It does not matter which party is in power, or even how many there are if they are all corrupted by the same corporate sponsored lobbying. And because these are the lawmakers of the land, they are the only ones who cam make that lobbying (bribery) illegal, again. And they certainly are not going to do so of their own accord. We have to make them do it.

So we are going to have to CLEAN HOUSE. We have to get rid of these life-long toadies for the rich corporate lobbyists, and if they are replaced by another one, we have to get rid of them, too. And we have to keep getting rid of them in every election unless and until we get someone in there that ACTS to stop this legalized lobbying by passing laws that make it illegal, again. (Once upon a time it was illegal to pay legislators for passing favorable legislation.) The message has to be sent to them that if they will not represent the well-being of the nation and its people honestly and fairly, they cannot keep their positions.

This corruption happened because 'we the people' let it. And now we need to face up to our neglect, take responsibility for all the damage it's caused, and take action to repair it. And that starts by clearing both legislative houses out (House and Senate), and starting anew.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Realistically, both parties are totally corrupted, and are passing into law whatever legislation their rich sponsors give them and tell them to pass. And this has been going on for many decades. It's why our government officials cannot make responsible decisions on behalf the well-being of the country or it's citizens, anymore. And it's why they never will, again, unless we stop the wholesale corruption caused by legalized bribery.

We have to stop thinking in terms of parties. It does not matter which party is in power, or even how many there are if they are all corrupted by the same corporate sponsored lobbying. And because these are the lawmakers of the land, they are the only ones who cam make that lobbying (bribery) illegal, again. And they certainly are not going to do so of their own accord. We have to make them do it.

So we are going to have to CLEAN HOUSE. We have to get rid of these life-long toadies for the rich corporate lobbyists, and if they are replaced by another one, we have to get rid of them, too. And we have to keep getting rid of them in every election unless and until we get someone in there that ACTS to stop this legalized lobbying by passing laws that make it illegal, again. (Once upon a time it was illegal to pay legislators for favorable legislation.) The message has to be sent to them that if they will not represent the well-being of the nation and its people honestly and fairly, they cannot keep their positions.

This corruption happened because 'we the people' let it. And now we need to face up to our neglect, take responsibility for all the damage it's caused, and take action to repair it. And that starts by clearing both legislative houses out (House and Senate), and starting anew.
I'm still not understanding by what means though (perhaps because I don't know much of the US system). The two big parties seem to have a stranglehold and presumably any new candidates will continue as before? Other parties or sufficient independents can't seem to get a look in (funding?). Which kind of leaves me with mass non-voting, which I don't imagine is about to happen; and even if it did the illegitimacy of any government (because of very low participation) would not prevent it from attempting to hold on to power?