• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA and perceived threats

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I was listening to a US commentator (Cal Thomas) regarding the Chinese visit to the US on the radio this evening. He was saying that China poses a huge threat, greater than the Islamic threat, to the USA.

Is there any way that this apparent perception of threat as being everywhere can be addressed?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Does he mean in a different way to violence and terrorism or does he actually mean the Chinese will do that? (I am not suggesting Islam = terrorism, but cannot see how he could say that)

He was talking about Chinese development of a stealth bomber and Chinese interests in Asia. He was also talking about the value of the Chinese currency against the dollar. I took him as meaning China constitutes both a military and an economic threat to the USA.

Onkara

Thanks Stephen, sorry I deleted my post as I was struggling to find a way to word my question :eek:

I think that is certainly something to consider. Economically they are looking long term, if they can produce a product cheaper than the USA then they will do it. After all consumers will buy the cheapest given identical/similar products. It isn't what they have today, it is what they will have in 50 - 100 years from now.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
My government has become so paranoid it perceives just about anything as a threat. I don't watch the news because of their nonsense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My government has become so paranoid it perceives just about anything as a threat. I don't watch the news because of their nonsense.
They don't pay attention to all threats...only their political pets. As for China, I see them as being more economic ally than threat.
Yeah sure, they steal technology & brand identity, but they make the cheap crap we want & lend us the money to buy it. Of course,
this suggests that our problems are largely internally caused. Militarily, their increasing economic might & their hegemony will pose
ever greater competition with America. As we slack off on technological & commercial achievement, we'd better start figgering out
how to cooperate with them.

I'm not sure just whom this is supposed to offend....maybe everyone......
http://www.nma.tv/hu-jintao-jets-washington-2/

Last edited: