• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Raids Iranian Consulate

linwood

US forces have stormed an Iranian consulate in the northern Iraqi town of Irbil and seized six members of staff.

The troops raided the building at about 0300 (0001GMT), taking away computers and papers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6251167.stm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/11/iraq.main/index.html

They also arrested a number of people at the consulate.

Now I`m not really too informed on international law but aren`t embassies/consulates considered the very ground of their originating homeland?

In essence if you invade an Iranian consulate you`ve invaded Iran?

If this BBC report proves true you`ve got to wonder about the depths of stupidity our president can dive to.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Bombing Somalia, invading "Iran"... and some wonder why most of the world, including Europe and South America, considers the US their greatest threat. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
linwood said:
Now I`m not really too informed on international law but aren`t embassies/consulates considered the very ground of their originating homeland?

Yes, that's my understanding too.

If this BBC report proves true you`ve got to wonder about the depths of stupidity our president can dive to.

Who wonders? :shrug:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
linwood said:

That's what one of the linked articles claim and what I've always thought also. They better have better insider information to back up this breech of protocol than they did concerning WMD's. America looks like a renegade nation otherwise.

I'll have to follow this story. Thanks linwood.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
linwood said:

Yebo. A raid on a consulate is considered an invasion of the represented country's territory and, therefore, an act of war.

Question now is, what are the Iranians going to do about it?

Ghetto rulez.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm...

Either the information given to the US forces was inadequate, or a fast one is being pulled, or the US commanders didn't care, and want to precipitate war...

I say this because, apparently the US command was under the impression that this building had not diplomatic status, and was not a consulate...

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Djamila said:
Bombing Somalia, invading "Iran"... and some wonder why most of the world, including Europe and South America, considers the US their greatest threat. ;)

That is pretty funny because the only reason all of Europe isn't either Goose stepping and speaking German or slaving away under the hammer and sickle is because of the U.S.A. Most of South America thinks we are such a crappy country that they walk hundreds of miles to sneak in. :cool:

If we didn't have crazy Jihadis blowing crap up all over the planet the US would not have to go around cleaning up the garbage.

EDIT: also, the CNN article says this:

In Washington, a U.S. official confirmed that six Iranian officials were detained for questioning. But he disputed accounts that troops broke open a consulate gate and conducted a raid.
"No shots were fired. No altercation ensued," said the official. "It was a knock on the door and, 'Please come out.' "
The official also explained that the Iranians in question were not inside an officially designated diplomatic consulate or embassy-like building.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Buttercup said:
America looks like a renegade nation otherwise.

More of a playground bully. Noone respects America enough to grant the way cool title of renegade.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Iran already committed an act of war when they began fighting us in Iraq. We have every right to fight back (at least, within Iraq itself).

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
comprehend said:
EDIT: also, the CNN article says this:"
In Washington, a U.S. official confirmed that six Iranian officials were detained for questioning. But he disputed accounts that troops broke open a consulate gate and conducted a raid.
"No shots were fired. No altercation ensued," said the official. "It was a knock on the door and, 'Please come out.' "
The official also explained that the Iranians in question were not inside an officially designated diplomatic consulate or embassy-like building."
Isn't it amazing how purposely omitting these words enables some to put such a strong anti-American, and possibly inaccurate spin on the story. Thank you for pointing out the potentially misleading nature of the thread title.

PureX

Veteran Member
CaptainXeroid said:
Isn't it amazing how purposely omitting these words enables some to put such a strong anti-American, and possibly inaccurate spin on the story. Thank you for pointing out the potentially misleading nature of the thread title.
Yes. It's usually a good idea to wait until the "breaking news" has subsided, and the actual facts begin to come out.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I'd be surprised if any embassy in Irbil is recognized as an official "embassy-type building".

The term, in most the western world, would be consulate - since the embassy isn't in the capital city.

The same laws still apply, and I'm sure if there ever is an exception for not having the proper paperwork done with the host country, Iraq would be it.

The Iranians, and the Kurdish hosts, say it was an embassy - so...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is The Bush administration trying to provoke Iran to some act that could be used as a casus belli, and give the US an excuse for a military incursion?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Even in the Bush administration isn't stupid enough to put American soldiers on the ground in Iran. It doesn't matter what the circumstances, the Iranian people will fight. It's simply the culture, the nature of the people. Imagine if the Mexican army invaded Texas for some purpose - the reason is absolutely irrelevant, the people would rise up en masse regardless of their views.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Djamila said:
Even in the Bush administration isn't stupid enough to put American soldiers on the ground in Iran. It doesn't matter what the circumstances, the Iranian people will fight. It's simply the culture, the nature of the people. Imagine if the Mexican army invaded Texas for some purpose - the reason is absolutely irrelevant, the people would rise up en masse regardless of their views.

I hope you're right, but I've learned that it is sometimes foolish to underestimate the foolishness of the Bush administration.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Seyorni said:
I hope you're right, but I've learned that it is sometimes foolish to underestimate the foolishness of the Bush administration.

Maybe the Bush Administration isn't scared of Iran. In the Afghan war, they fought hard, but were out matched. The Iraqis had a huge army, but were too scared to really put up a fight. Either way, they were easy wars for America. (The peace is what we suck at)

greatcalgarian

Radio Frequency X said:
Iran already committed an act of war when they began fighting us in Iraq. We have every right to fight back (at least, within Iraq itself).

I thought I read somewhere Cheney has stated the exact word or comment as above:D

greatcalgarian

Radio Frequency X said:
Maybe the Bush Administration isn't scared of Iran. In the Afghan war, they fought hard, but were out matched. The Iraqis had a huge army, but were too scared to really put up a fight. Either way, they were easy wars for America. (The peace is what we suck at)

Right, sound like Rumsfeld is still the Defence secretary.:p

linwood

CaptainXeroid said:

The thread title is a direct quote from the BBC article.
It is telling that I`m just as ready to believe Iraqi and/or Iranian statements as I am my own governments.
I wasn`t like this 6 years ago...go figure.
Considering the country that established the compound(Iran) and the country hosting the compound(Iraq) state it is a consulate is more than enough for me to believe..hey..It`s a consulate.
It makes sense to me.

Oh, the Kurdish government where the consulate is located also stated it was a ...consulate.

Considering I wouldn`t trust the sincerity of anything coming out of my presidents mouth leads me to believe ..it was a consulate.

I could be wrong...we`ll find out.
:)

But really, how surprised would you be to hear we started a war with Iran?
Would it shock you?

I doubt it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When Iran overran the American embassy and took hostages in 1979 the US screamed that this was an invasion, a kidnapping, and an Act of War.

When the US does the same thing in 2007 to Iran it's barely mentioned in the mainstream press and no-one seems to see any historical parallels.