• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Congress Approves Keystone XL

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The House and Senate version don't match, so a joint committee will try and iron out the differences, and then there'll be another vote before going to the POTUS. There are pros and cons to Keystone, so I do have mixed reactions. This is heavy oil, and if it spills and gets into a river or aquifer, there'll be hell to pay. We had such a spill with that kind of oil here in Michigan on the Kalamazoo River, and it's been over two years and still hasn't been successfully cleaned up the last time I heard.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Future generations will be writing essays on the following question:

"Why did our parents ignore the overwhelming scientific evidence of global climate change and continue to invest in dirty energy?

metis

"Why did our parents ignore the overwhelming scientific evidence of global climate change and continue to invest in dirty energy?
My snarky response to your question: Because the pseudo-conservatives value money and political power as being more important than science and truth.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My snarky response to your question: Because the pseudo-conservatives value money and political power as being more important than science and truth.

It has also been argued that the fundamental problem is capitalism itself. That system is not designed to serve the greater good - it focuses on short-term profit and tends to exploit resources (both non-human and human) to get there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

We're investing in dirty energy whether Keystone happens or not. The trick isn't to hinder access to oil, but rather to address consumption & better alternatives. I favor high fuel taxes, conservation friendly building codes, & environmental quality regulation.

Lusius Fire

Cold Skin, Warm Soul
It has also been argued that the fundamental problem is capitalism itself. That system is not designed to serve the greater good - it focuses on short-term profit and tends to exploit resources (both non-human and human) to get there.

Wow, so poignant and succinct. You said it. "Free market" capitalism is ruining this world. (Free to ruin life for everybody.)

metis

Especially at the corporate level since in most cases the only common denominator between the investors is to make money. A private business owner can have a company that reflects the morality of the owner(s), otoh. Let me give two example of the latter.

I saw an elderly lady putting fruit into her purse at a local fruit market close to where I live, so I pointed her out to a manger. He whispered that she's quite poor, and even though she comes in pretty much daily to do the same thing, they just ignore it.

In another case, a close friend of mine and his brother and sister owned a garden center, and they choose to not be open on Sunday for religious reasons. But if they were involved as investors in a corporation that owned the garden center, I doubt very much that their religious desires would be met.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow, so poignant and succinct. You said it. "Free market" capitalism is ruining this world. (Free to ruin life for everybody.)
A high fuel tax is as free market a solution as possible. Consumers would then decide how much to drive, what cars/trucks to buy, & what alternatives are viable. Think of capitalism as your friend (lover?) instead of the enemy (ex-wife?).

metis

A high fuel tax is as free market a solution as possible. Consumers would then decide how much to drive, what cars/trucks to buy, & what alternatives are viable.

Wow, you and I agree on something, thus a tell-tale sign this world must be coming to an end. :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow, you and I agree on something, thus a tell-tale sign this world must be coming to an end. :(
The world will end. The sun will exhaust its hydrogen, & become a red giant whose diameter encompasses Earth's orbit. But even if we survived that, the universe will die of heat death in less than a trillion years. We're doomed!

metis

The world will end. The sun will exhaust its hydrogen, & become a red giant whose diameter encompasses Earth's orbit. But even if we survived that, the universe will die of heat death in less than a trillion years. We're doomed!
But with the heat from the red giant we can at least barbeque. I'll bring the marshmallows and I'd appreciate it if you bring the beer.

TurkeyOnRye

Another way to look at it is that there is a selective component that determines who gets into positions of power. There's evidence to show that many CEOs, CFOs etc. are psychopaths. Because profit is the sole means by which a company survives, highly-manipulative un-empathetic individuals tend to float to the top of the chain. The problem seems to be the profit = survival model that is capitalism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another way to look at it is that there is a selective component that determines who gets into positions of power. There's evidence to show that many CEOs, CFOs etc. are psychopaths. Because profit is the sole means by which a company survives, highly-manipulative un-empathetic individuals tend to float to the top of the chain. The problem seems to be the profit = survival model that is capitalism.
This contrasts with politicians, who rise to power for their sincerity, magnanimity, honesty, &.....<snicker>....high ethical stand......<guffaw!>... competen...<milk shoots out nose>.....I just can't keep this up!

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

If either they or these schooling institutions exist.