• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Coastal Flooding Caused by Global Warming is Happening Now

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So which credible climatologist has stood up, waving a clenched fist, and proclaimed to the world that this is definitely and exclusively caused by GW/CC? And, by the way, here's the conclusive and irrefutable proof. Anecdotal evidence is just that-anecdotal.
The proof is in the stats that have been collected for over 200 years now, and have shown a worldwide warming trend that has raised world temperatures to the hottest on record. The proof is in the CO2 measurements that clearly show a rising rate over the last century, and it has been known for around that period of time that CO2 tends to trap heat, thus causing what is called "the greenhouse effect". The proof is in the rather obvious change in weather patterns that we have been seeing over the last couple of decades especially. The proof is in the retreat of glaciers in most locales in the world and the shrinking or the ice mass in the Arctic Circle around the world.

Common sense says to "prepare for the worst but hope for the better". The problem with all too many people is that they don't understand the science and then they blindly follow the dictates of right-wing politicians with politically-motivated agendas. Common sense says that if we reduce carbon emissions that there are spin-off benefits such as reducing pollution, conserving natural resources, long term money saving, etc.

OTOH, if we just play some sort of idiotic waiting game, and then we find out that the climate scientists were right all along, there could be hell to pay as time is of the essence. For us to guess wrong in this case could be catastrophic, but taking sensible actions to curb emissions makes so much sense and on so many different levels.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Somehow, I've got a feeling that deniers will continue to deny even if evidence slaps them in the face.

climate-change-signs.jpg

gwcritics.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The proof is in the stats that have been collected for over 200 years now, and have shown a worldwide warming trend that has raised world temperatures to the hottest on record. The proof is in the CO2 measurements that clearly show a rising rate over the last century, and it has been known for around that period of time that CO2 tends to trap heat, thus causing what is called "the greenhouse effect". The proof is in the rather obvious change in weather patterns that we have been seeing over the last couple of decades especially. The proof is in the retreat of glaciers in most locales in the world and the shrinking or the ice mass in the Arctic Circle around the world.

Please, point to one scientist that has ever appeared on any news program and proclaim this with documented, totally conclusive proof. That's all I ask.
Common sense says to "prepare for the worst but hope for the better". The problem with all too many people is that they don't understand the science and then they blindly follow the dictates of right-wing politicians with politically-motivated agendas. Common sense says that if we reduce carbon emissions that there are spin-off benefits such as reducing pollution, conserving natural resources, long term money saving, etc.

OTOH, if we just play some sort of idiotic waiting game, and then we find out that the climate scientists were right all along, there could be hell to pay as time is of the essence. For us to guess wrong in this case could be catastrophic, but taking sensible actions to curb emissions makes so much sense and on so many different levels.

Please, just list one credible climate scientist that has appear on any bona fide news program and has proclaimed this with documented and undeniable proof in his well-educated hands. That's all I ask.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please, just list one credible climate scientist that has appear on any bona fide news program and has proclaimed this with documented and undeniable proof in his well-educated hands. That's all I ask.
There are thousands of articles in scientific journals, and warming pops up all the time in news stories all over the world-- except in the US.
Just Google

BSM1

What? Me worry?
There are thousands of articles in scientific journals, and warming pops up all the time in news stories all over the world-- except in the US.
Just Google

That's not what I asked. If this CC is such a pending disaster surely there is one scientist with the courage and the proof to demand an appearance on the nightly news.

metis

Why does it have to be a "news program"? And if I did have one in mind, what difference would that make to you anyway? Do I believe for one minute you would accept his/her testimony? Ya, maybe when hell freezes over-- which is far less likely under global warming that we know is happening. :p

How about reading some serious science books or articles from a source like Scientific American on the subject. Nah, I'm sure that wouldn't impress you at all either.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why does it have to be a "news program"? And if I did have one in mind, what difference would that make to you anyway? Do I believe for one minute you would accept his/her testimony? Ya, maybe when hell freezes over-- which is far less likely under global warming that we know is happening. :p

How about reading some serious science books or articles from a source like Scientific American on the subject. Nah, I'm sure that wouldn't impress you at all either.

You are either totally missing the point or simply not willing to admit defeat. There never was any catastrophic Global Warming, nor is there any catastrophic Climate Change. Prove me wrong.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

"200 years" is a cherry picked time frame.
Why?
It starts with the end of the Little Ice Age, but before
the industrial revolution was fully under way.
Such unscientific rationalization makes it difficult for us to
convince the deniers of the reality of GW, & the risks of AGW.

metis

You are either totally missing the point or simply not willing to admit defeat. There never was any catastrophic Global Warming, nor is there any catastrophic Climate Change. Prove me wrong.
There has been times when there were no polar ice caps whereas tropical and sub-tropical organisms have been found in Greenland, for example. Sea levels used to be substantially higher then present. What you simply cannot get through your head is that this warming trend is based on real numbers collected for over two hundred years and are not based on models or projections.

Need some literature to convince you, although I know it won't, try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene–Eocene_Thermal_Maximum

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's not what I asked. If this CC is such a pending disaster surely there is one scientist with the courage and the proof to demand an appearance on the nightly news.
There are plenty of them -- but don't expect any to be given much time on the mainstream TV news. The corporations that own the Big Four are also the corporations that own the fossil fuel industries.
If you find reading the actual scientific findings tedious I'd suggest Googling some documentaries to watch.