• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

Audie

Veteran Member
"Phony" isn't the word I would use. Paul's message is the same as the story of the "serpent"/snake with respect to Genesis 3:4. The snake story was that if you brake God's Commandments you will not die. The consequences are the same, for "everybody will die for their own iniquities/sins" (Jeremiah 31:30). The only change in an instance, blinking of an eye, is if one is standing under a nuclear bomb, the perishable will perish.
So what euphemism would you prefer for
a fictitious story intended to make people
think he was " chosen of god" and so immune to
snakebite?

Audie

Veteran Member
Lack of understanding comes from being among the "wicked"/lawless (Daniel 12:10). The Moslems have enough faith to blow themselves up for a hoped for 72 virgins, which by the way, there aren't that many virgins to go around. The JWs, the Amish, as well as others. have faith that they are all among the 144,000 of Revelation. Sorry, but there are many more JWs and Amish than there are 144,000 available spots. I would suggest that they take remedial math, but the schools of today use modern math, whereas apparently 1 + 1 doesn't necessarily equal 2.

Daniel 12:9-10 9 He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end. 10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.
Sooo..where has a person been if they think
the snake story is true, or that there was a literal
" noahs ark"?

2ndpillar

So what euphemism would you prefer for
a fictitious story intended to make people
think he was " chosen of god" and so immune to
snakebite?
I don't think he was "immune to snakebite", I think that comes from another story. As he was the son of the "devil", and the "devil" is the father of lies, I think he could be called a liar, but he believed so well in the lie, that I think you have to go with the term "chump". There is a disease called Saint Paul's disease, which is a kind of epilepsy, whereas the patients go blind and have visions. There is more to the story. There are many people who think they are a revived Julius Caesar, such as the 1/2 the patients in old insane asylums. and people such as Mussolini, and Patton. You can't take everything at face value. You have to look under the rock.

2ndpillar

Sooo..where has a person been if they think
the snake story is true, or that there was a literal
" noahs ark"?
The history of great floods is written within geology. It is also written in world histories, with the best from the Sumerians, the land from which Abraham came. It is also found in the ancient stories of India, etc.. If you read Matthew 13, Yeshua says his message is given in parables, which is to say, when looking back at Daniel 12:10, that the "wicked" may have ears, but they will not hear. Which is to say, the message is put forward in such a way that while you may have eyes, you can not see. If you are truthful, and look for the truth, with patients and perseverance, then you can expect to find it if you look under the right rock. Not all is as it appears.

Audie

Veteran Member
The history of great floods is written within geology. It is also written in world histories, with the best from the Sumerians, the land from which Abraham came. It is also found in the ancient stories of India, etc.. If you read Matthew 13, Yeshua says his message is given in parables, which is to say, when looking back at Daniel 12:10, that the "wicked" may have ears, but they will not hear. Which is to say, the message is put forward in such a way that while you may have eyes, you can not see. If you are truthful, and look for the truth, with patients and perseverance, then you can expect to find it if you look under the right rock. Not all is as it appears.
First tell me what you are arguing for.
A world wide thing. All dead but the
ones on the boat?

Of course there is geological history of lots of
floods. Keep that in mind.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't think he was "immune to snakebite", I think that comes from another story. As he was the son of the "devil", and the "devil" is the father of lies, I think he could be called a liar, but he believed so well in the lie, that I think you have to go with the term "chump". There is a disease called Saint Paul's disease, which is a kind of epilepsy, whereas the patients go blind and have visions. There is more to the story. There are many people who think they are a revived Julius Caesar, such as the 1/2 the patients in old insane asylums. and people such as Mussolini, and Patton. You can't take everything at face value. You have to look under the rock.
The idea was about being protected by God,
not snakes in particular.

And the story is phony.

Keep focus!

2ndpillar

The idea was about being protected by God,
not snakes in particular.

And the story is phony.

Keep focus!
What story? And Paul's Lord, whom he called on in Jerusalem, was Augustus Caesar to save his life from the Zealots. As for Paul's supernatural overseer, that was according to Paul, Satan, who supposedly put a thorn in Paul's side, according to Paul. I think all Paul said was that he spoke for God, not that God protected him. If God protected him, then Nero wouldn't have strangled him. As for what God said about Paul, who he called "Favor" (Zech 11:10), was that he along with Peter, were to be the two "staffs", shepherds, to "pasture the flock (Gentile church) doomed for slaughter"(Zech 11:7), and that all three of the shepherds, which would include Judas Iscariot (Zech 11:12-13), would be annihilated in the same month (generation). A generation is about 30 to 40 years. Judas was supposedly hung around 30+ A.D. and Peter was hung around 60 + A.D., and Paul was strangled around 60 + A.D. I have to assume they hung on their trees (wooden crosses) throughout the night and therefore were cursed (Dt 21:23).
Deuteronomy 21:23 you must not leave the body on the tree overnight, but you must be sure to bury him that day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse.

jimb

Premium Member
Look, of all the snakes in Malta, only one is venomous. The one venomous snake that does exist there has weak venom only strong enough to kill rats and small animals

Let's look at the story in more depth -

"28 Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. 2 The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold. 3 Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand. 4 When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.” 5 But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects. 6 The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god."

Why would the native population think these things when there are no snakes on the island that are nearly this venomous? I suspect a fisherman's tale at best, and an outright lie by Paul in all likelihood. His story can, and should be, dismissed for what it is

Then go ahead and dismiss it -- in your own mind. Personally, if it says that "the people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead", then that's what I accept. You're "jumping through hoops" to disprove this story. Why is that?

jimb

Premium Member
Audie, Jayhawker, 2ndpillar, and other cynics...

I used to be like you. I went out of my way to be clever and and all-knowing, until I was saved by Jesus Christ. I feel sorry for you all, wallowing in negativity and trying to show how smart you are. But then I discovered God's love and I have had "the peace that passes all understanding" for 47 years. Believe me, it's a lot better than trying to show others how smart you are, which is nothing but an ego trip.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I used to be like you. I went out of my way to be clever and and all-knowing, until I was saved by Jesus Christ. I feel sorry for you all, wallowing in negativity and trying to show how smart you are. But then I discovered God's love and I have had "the peace that passes all understanding" for 47 years. Believe me, it's a lot better than trying to show others how smart you are, which is nothing but an ego trip.

In your personal opinion, of course. Otherwise, your proclamation may be interpreted as proselytizing, which is frowned upon on this forum.

jimb

Premium Member
Sorry, I will add the context for those without a bible to look it up. Peter, Paul and Judas (Zech 11:12-13) were chosen by the LORD per Zechariah 11, and Peter and Paul, were called "Favor" and "Cords", and were the two shepherds taken to "pasture" the "flock (Christian church) doomed for slaughter".(Zechariah 11:7). Paul was the "false prophet" of Revelation 16 & 20:10, but one of the "false prophets" so well described in Matthew 7:12-15. The approximately 2 billion Christians would be just part of the "many" led down the wide path to destruction per Matthew 7:12. Other false prophets would be the imaginary Muhammad, from the imaginary Mecca of the 6th century, which number around 1.5 billion, to followers of the false prophet Marx, and his communist and Marxist Progressives of the U.S., numbering around 1.4 billion from China alone.

Daniel 12:9 He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end. 10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.

Acts 22:6-8 clearly describes what happened to Paul. "As I was en route and near Damascus, about noon a very bright light from heaven suddenly flashed around me. Then I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ He said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.’ " (my emphasis)

So you didn't provide the relevant context. You provided references from the Old Testament, then added your personal interpretation of Revelation and an absurd reference from Matthew: Jesus talking about how to treat others. (Which you should read carefully.) And then follow that with another out-of-context quote from the Old Testament. Do you understand "eisegesis"?

Finally you bring in Muhammad and Karl Marx from seemingly nowhere to (dis)prove your point. Listen, if you can't stick to the subject and discuss things rationally, why post anything at all?

2ndpillar

First tell me what you are arguing for.
A world wide thing. All dead but the
ones on the boat?

Of course there is geological history of lots of
floods. Keep that in mind.
Yeshua and God both spoke in parables (Isaiah 6:8-9 & Mt 13:13-14). A parable is the use of language which gives a broad overview without being specific enough for the wicked to understand the hidden message. For God, a day is not necessarily a day, but can be a thousand years, or a month can be used as a generation, as stated in the Tanak. In Daniel and in Revelations, an emperor was represented as a beast, or a head of a beast, or a horn of a beast, or a statue. Empires were imaged as mountains and as beasts. The "devil" was referenced as the "serpent', or "Satan", or the "dragon", etc. Isaac Newton studied the bible most of his life to find its secrets of creation, and while he was one of the foremost scientists of all times, he only scratched the surface with his many writings, which because of the church, most of those writings have only become recently available. Poor Galileo wrote down his findings in a fictional book and wound up being put before the Inquisition and wound up broken and then locked up in his house for the rest of his life. As stated by Daniel 12, all his hidden until the "end of the age". The door is now open, but only the truthful in all things will peer under the rock. Whether one lies to themselves or to others, liars will be left outside of the gates (Rev 22:14-15). One has to seek the truth, which means one has to know geology, science, history, as well as have the light which is found buried in the bible, along side of the "message" of the "devil" (Mt 13). Newton noted he found the philosophy stone, and I believe he did, but he couldn't figure out how to use it. He was too early in the discovery period. Knowing the geometry of DNA doesn't help if you don't know what DNA is. Even if you do know somewhat about DNA, and particle and wave physics, you still have problems putting things together. I am way past the mandatory retirement age, and my interest now is why people do what they do, not on the physics of creation. I can tell you how things end, and where (Zech 12), as it is fairly well laid out in the bible, but the timing is a bit difficult, even if Newton pointed between the 2030 to the 2040, I disagree, for he seemed to be using a solar calendar (Gregorian/Julius), and the Jews used a lunar calendar. It is good to be an honest skeptic, but at some time you have to make a deeper dive, or just become a boring atheist, or agnostic. Probably better than being a hypocritical "believer" (Christian/Moslem/Hindu/Marxist Progressive, etc.) If your entirely honest, which often calls for independence, then you should have no trouble finding every truth, but not without perseverance and patience. Being you don't appear to trust government then you have one foot up.

jimb

Premium Member
In your personal opinion, of course. Otherwise, your proclamation may be interpreted as proselytizing, which is frowned upon on this forum.

a) Of course it's my personal opinion.
b) I am discussing the subject at hand. If you consider that proselytizing, what are others doing? They are trying to convince me of their beliefs. Isn't that also proselytizing?

Example: 2ndPillar wrote, "If you read Matthew 13, Yeshua says his message is given in parables, which is to say, when looking back at Daniel 12:10, that the "wicked" may have ears, but they will not hear. Which is to say, the message is put forward in such a way that while you may have eyes, you can not see. If you are truthful, and look for the truth, with patients and perseverance, then you can expect to find it if you look under the right rock. Not all is as it appears." Isn't that also proselytizing? In fact, you could say that anyone who is trying to convince another person to agree with them is proselytizing.

Finally, the title of this thread is "Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation". Isn't that a perfect example of proselytizing???

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
Yeshua and God both spoke in parables (Isaiah 6:8-9 & Mt 13:13-14). A parable is the use of language which gives a broad overview without being specific enough for the wicked to understand the hidden message. For God, a day is not necessarily a day, but can be a thousand years, or a month can be used as a generation, as stated in the Tanak. In Daniel and in Revelations, an emperor was represented as a beast, or a head of a beast, or a horn of a beast, or a statue. Empires were imaged as mountains and as beasts. The "devil" was referenced as the "serpent', or "Satan", or the "dragon", etc. Isaac Newton studied the bible most of his life to find its secrets of creation, and while he was one of the foremost scientists of all times, he only scratched the surface with his many writings, which because of the church, most of those writings have only become recently available. Poor Galileo wrote down his findings in a fictional book and wound up being put before the Inquisition and wound up broken and then locked up in his house for the rest of his life. As stated by Daniel 12, all his hidden until the "end of the age". The door is now open, but only the truthful in all things will peer under the rock. Whether one lies to themselves or to others, liars will be left outside of the gates (Rev 22:14-15). One has to seek the truth, which means one has to know geology, science, history, as well as have the light which is found buried in the bible, along side of the "message" of the "devil" (Mt 13). Newton noted he found the philosophy stone, and I believe he did, but he couldn't figure out how to use it. He was too early in the discovery period. Knowing the geometry of DNA doesn't help if you don't know what DNA is. Even if you do know somewhat about DNA, and particle and wave physics, you still have problems putting things together. I am way past the mandatory retirement age, and my interest now is why people do what they do, not on the physics of creation. I can tell you how things end, and where (Zech 12), as it is fairly well laid out in the bible, but the timing is a bit difficult, even if Newton pointed between the 2030 to the 2040, I disagree, for he seemed to be using a solar calendar (Gregorian/Julius), and the Jews used a lunar calendar. It is good to be an honest skeptic, but at some time you have to make a deeper dive, or just become a boring atheist, or agnostic. Probably better than being a hypocritical "believer" (Christian/Moslem/Hindu/Marxist Progressive, etc.) If your entirely honest, which often calls for independence, then you should have no trouble finding every truth, but not without perseverance and patience. Being you don't appear to trust government then you have one foot up.

GREAT POST! THANKS!

2ndpillar

As this is a debate platform with regards to Scripture, you are free to debate your supposedly better point of view. Please use your 47 years of investment in the traditions of men to debate. You have probably more years invested in this topic than the pope. Oh, wait, maybe you don't agree with the pope or his church, who offers you salvation down another wide path. In what way are you "saved". Are you going to escape "sleep"/death, as your false prophet tells you? Have you been freed from sin, and no longer need your doctor? Was Paul "saved" by Augustus Caesar, his Lord, while in Jerusalem, or by "Jesus", a name which did not exist until the 17th century A.D.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
a) Of course it's my personal opinion.
b) I am discussing the subject at hand. If you consider that proselytizing, what are others doing? They are trying to convince me of their beliefs. Isn't that also proselytizing?

I was just giving you a friendly reminder about Rule 8 because you are new to Religious Forums. It was not intended as a chastisement.

If you have a question regarding another member's post, you need to ask the forum staff.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was just giving you a friendly reminder about Rule 8 because you are new to Religious Forums. It was not intended as a chastisement.

If you have a question regarding another member's post, you need to ask the forum staff.
Good to see you back. I had something I wanted to share with you - three Beatles songs that our band covered. I'd have sent this privately, but it looks like you don't accept private messages.

My wife, who was also in the band, has been attaching stock videos to these cassette recordings, and has finished these three. We also have versions of Don't Let Me Down and Free As A Bird, but they're not ready to upload yet. Hope you like these. Please forgive the lack of sound engineering expertise. We just started recording and playing and couldn't pay attention to sound levels and the like:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Then go ahead and dismiss it -- in your own mind. Personally, if it says that "the people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead", then that's what I accept.

But why? Why would you in Initially accept it as true? It seems more likely to me to be an exaggeration or a fisherman's tale based on ignorance that there's no deadly snakes on Malta at best if not an outright lie. It is what it is

In my area there are also no deadly snakes. If I saw that someone was bitten by one, it'd be interesting and would possibly make for a fun story, but I wouldn't be bothered. Why would these people assume he was gonna die?

I mean it's an island. What's on the island is what's on the island. There's not gonna be any surprise vipers that swam across the Mediterranean Sea just to hide in some sticks on a remote island in the sea, and even if someone somehow smuggled it onto the island and it escaped where Paul then had the worst luck of all time and just happened to go to the one random pile of sticks that this foreign viper happened to be in, folks are still going to assume that it wasn't a big deal that he got bit since the local snakes are harmless anyways

Occam's razor - seems more likely to just be a lie

You're "jumping through hoops" to disprove this story. Why is that?

What hoops am I jumping through? I'm simply stating why the story doesn't make sense