• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unconventional Positions in Judaism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flankerl

Why are you asking for the jewish opinion when you dont care for it?

Also this is your friend.
Enter_Key.jpg

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It's the "And God" part that I'm concerned about. What would God consider appropriate and what my wife and I consider appropriate may not be the same. How would I know?

you could consult the Hebrew scriptures. The mosaic law was clear that a man could not have sex with a man in the way a man would have sex with a woman.
God viewed it as unnatural, turning the one practicing it into one contrary to nature, and condemned the practice of sodomy.

So you need to ask yourself if God would accept the same unnatural act being performed on a woman.

Then there is the health and wellbeing of your partner to consider. There are numerous health problems associated with sodomy such as ulcers, tears of the bowel leading to infections and hemorrhoids...these are all things you need to take into consideration too.

Rakhel

I understand what you are saying, rakhel. I've said it more than once myself that there are different sects within Judaism and that they behave, think, and teach differently. That's not a hard concept to understand. That's how it is in most religions, which is why I've stated on more than one occasion that Judaism is no different from any other religion with respect to that. I just feel it makes absolutely no sense at all for there to be such disagreements within one religion -- no matter what the religion is.
So let me get this straight. You would rather people not think and just do what they are told? Do you seriously believe that's what Judaism, or any religion for that matter, is about?

Well, you might have a case with Scientology, but that's another issue altogether.

TalAbrams

Unbelievable! Can this many people really believe that this deplorable act is natural and permissible?
Do we not defile ourselves enough by omission or ignorance?
Just the subject, alone, should be considered unspeakable.
How dare they who would speak in favor of this act even mention Torah!
Shame! Shame on you.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Yeah, can't explain that any more than I already have. You're missing the whole point. You're thinking rank and specific position. I'm speaking association.

:facepalm: Seems like you are missing the big picture.....

Pope is infallible when it comes to certain things..Rabbis are not infallible.

Pope is one man who is the head of the whole Catholic Church; world wide.

There is no Rabbi like that.

Pope hold great power and no one can over rule him. Rabbis can diss other Rabbis all they want and you wont be excommunicated or declared a heretic.

Levite

Higher and Higher
you could consult the Hebrew scriptures. The mosaic law was clear that a man could not have sex with a man in the way a man would have sex with a woman. God viewed it as unnatural, turning the one practicing it into one contrary to nature, and condemned the practice of sodomy. So you need to ask yourself if God would accept the same unnatural act being performed on a woman. Then there is the health and wellbeing of your partner to consider. There are numerous health problems associated with sodomy such as ulcers, tears of the bowel leading to infections and hemorrhoids...these are all things you need to take into consideration too.

Most of which health problems can be avoided with due care and diligence.

In any case, the Leviticus prohibtions on men having sex with men in the way one does with a woman has never been connected in halachah with what kind of sexual relations are or are not permissible to a married couple. And since there is even room for debate about what the prohibtions in Leviticus mean, and even more room to debate what its intentions were, it seems to me that it doesn't make much sense for us to introduce it into the halachah today, when it has never been so connected before.

...And all that stuff makes perfect sense to you because by golly only Jews (at least some of them) can understand all the complexities that is Judaism.

I would imagine that a non-Jew who had sufficient education and training could understand Jewish Law and tradition as well as a trained Jew. Most non-Jews I have ever met simply have not been inclined to take the time and devote the resources to acquiring the education and training. Which, to me, makes perfect sense: after all, how many Americans without legal expertise decide to become lawyers certified in French law with degrees in French history and culture? If one isn't a part of a society, one usually lacks motivation to take the time and effort to become a legal expert in the laws and culture of a society not one's own.

And, in fact, not all Jews feel inclined to do so anyway, which is why the practice arose of only motivated individuals acquiring that education and training, with the rest of the people depending on them to interpret the laws and customs and be judges. Just, say, in American society, not everyone becomes a lawyer or a judge: rather, those are specialized professions, for those who feel motivated to acquire the education and training.

I, personally, find it -- let’s see um, what’s the word -- disorganized to have one person saying this and this one saying that and they’re all saying, “It’s the truth! It’s the truth!” “Interpretation! Interpretation!”... Just, not my thing. I actually feel that truth should be organized and consistent.
That's part of a worldview that holds that there is one truth, and one way to view that one truth. Judaism embraces truths, not truth, and holds space for people seeing those truths in different ways.

I mean to me having the Sabbath appear as -- now what was it you said -- ? Oh, yeah the fourth one down on the commandments list (thank you, so helpful; I mean you have to be a genius to remember these ten rules) -- doesn’t explain why the Passover and the Atonement and Feast of Tabernacles, etc., isn’t listed but kept.
Passover: see Exodus 12-13, Exodus 23:15, Leviticus 23:5 ff., Deuteronomy 16:1-16
Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement): see Leviticus 16, Leviticus 23:27-32, Exodus 30:10, Numbers 29:7-11
Sukkot (Feat of Tabernacles): see Exodus 23:16, Leviticus 23:34-43, Deuteronomy 16:13-16, Deuteronomy 31:10-13

In the meantime, I have to say...I’ll believe that “god” spoke to any one group of people giving them “laws and commandments” ...just about the time pigs sprout wings and fly through a hell that has frozen over...so to speak.
I don't recall anyone demanding that you believe anything.

It’s just too bad you can’t speak to the Rabbi I spoke to that implied that sex for pleasure could corrupt the mind. Your whole “sex is for pleasure too” explanation might be helpful to him.
Yes, it is too bad. That rabbi is laboring under a misapprehension.

Unbelievable! Can this many people really believe that this deplorable act is natural and permissible?
Do we not defile ourselves enough by omission or ignorance?
Just the subject, alone, should be considered unspeakable.
How dare they who would speak in favor of this act even mention Torah!
Shame! Shame on you.

There are several teshuvot (responsa) from the Gaonic period that discuss this matter, and several from the Tosafists, and all agree it is permissible for a married couple. The Rabbanim seem also to permit it (I recall Nedarim 20b off the top of my head, but I know there are other citations I don't have memorized) to married couples.

And certainly plenty of modern rabbis have ruled that the responsibility of the husband to provide gratification to his wife can include whatever acts between the two of them that they deem mutually satisfactory.

These ****ot (halachic rulings) are common everywhere except for the Haredi world.

Last edited:

thebigpicture

you could consult the Hebrew scriptures. The mosaic law was clear that a man could not have sex with a man in the way a man would have sex with a woman.
God viewed it as unnatural, turning the one practicing it into one contrary to nature, and condemned the practice of sodomy.

So you need to ask yourself if God would accept the same unnatural act being performed on a woman.

Very true. And that's just common sense.

Then there is the health and wellbeing of your partner to consider. There are numerous health problems associated with sodomy such as ulcers, tears of the bowel leading to infections and hemorrhoids...these are all things you need to take into consideration too.

The problem with a lot of people is that if they want to do something bad enough, they will just ignore all the factual and solid reasons they shouldn't.

thebigpicture

(Laughs!) How you got this:

So let me get this straight. You would rather people not think and just do what they are told? Do you seriously believe that's what Judaism, or any religion for that matter, is about?

Out of this:

I understand what you are saying, rakhel. I've said it more than once myself that there are different sects within Judaism and that they behave, think, and teach differently. That's not a hard concept to understand. That's how it is in most religions, which is why I've stated on more than one occasion that Judaism is no different from any other religion with respect to that. I just feel it makes absolutely no sense at all for there to be such disagreements within one religion -- no matter what the religion is.

...is beyond me. (Laughs) In any case, since you brought up the whole “telling you what to do” subject...The last time I checked, the Torah and the Old Testament were filled with rules and regulations (have you forgotten the laws and commandments?), meticulously so. And I could be mistaken, but the last time I checked, rules and regulations told people what to (and not to for that matter) do. Religions are filled with rules that tell people what to do. Hell, you’re told what to do in daily life. You have to follow the rules of the land. You get told what to do every day of your life. Try remembering and reflecting on that the next time you pass up a speed-limit sign.

Without rules and regulations there is chaos. Therefore, rules and regulations are a good thing. Having ten thousand different interpretations of the same rule -- not so much, which is the point I was making. The one you completely missed.

That is precisely what he thinks.

See the above response. It applies to you as well.

thebigpicture

:facepalm: Seems like you are missing the big picture.....

Pope is infallible when it comes to certain things..Rabbis are not infallible.

Pope is one man who is the head of the whole Catholic Church; world wide.

There is no Rabbi like that.

Pope hold great power and no one can over rule him. Rabbis can diss other Rabbis all they want and you wont be excommunicated or declared a heretic.

No, you keep missing the point I'm making. Goodness sakes. I am completely baffled how you're missing the point, but you're somehow missing it. It's obvious in the fact that you keep mentioning rank and power. I'm not talking about rank and power. Plain and simply put -- When a person hears the word "Pope" they know it deals with Christianity. When a person hears the word "Rabbi" they know it deals with Judaism. "Pope" is synonymous with Christianity. "Rabbi" is synonymous with Judaism. Now, I don't understand how on earth you don't understand that or how you can think to debate it. It is a plain and simple fact that the Pope is a Christian. A Rabbi is a Jew. Both are sought after for advice and leadership, regardless of their position in hierarchy. Just the original post in itself is a clear example of that. GunsandMoses mentioned how he sought out advice from his Rabbi. Now I honestly don't see how this can be more clear.

blackout

Violet.
No, you keep missing the point I'm making. Goodness sakes. I am completely baffled how you're missing the point, but you're somehow missing it. It's obvious in the fact that you keep mentioning rank and power. I'm not talking about rank and power. Plain and simply put -- When a person hears the word "Pope" they know it deals with Christianity. When a person hears the word "Rabbi" they know it deals with Judaism. "Pope" is synonymous with Christianity. "Rabbi" is synonymous with Judaism. Now, I don't understand how on earth you don't understand that or how you can think to debate it. It is a plain and simple fact that the Pope is a Christian. A Rabbi is a Jew. Both are sought after for advice and leadership, regardless of their position in hierarchy. Just the original post in itself is a clear example of that. GunsandMoses mentioned how he sought out advice from his Rabbi. Now I honestly don't see how this can be more clear.

No. When a person hears the word "Pope" they know it deals with ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

"Pope" is in no way "synonymous" with "Christianity".
Your choice of comparison is also lame in many other ways,
as previously pointed out.
Why not just admit it. :shrug:

thebigpicture

I would imagine that a non-Jew who had sufficient education and training could understand Jewish Law and tradition as well as a trained Jew. Most non-Jews I have ever met simply have not been inclined to take the time and devote the resources to acquiring the education and training. Which, to me, makes perfect sense: after all, how many Americans without legal expertise decide to become lawyers certified in French law with degrees in French history and culture? If one isn't a part of a society, one usually lacks motivation to take the time and effort to become a legal expert in the laws and culture of a society not one's own.

And, in fact, not all Jews feel inclined to do so anyway, which is why the practice arose of only motivated individuals acquiring that education and training, with the rest of the people depending on them to interpret the laws and customs and be judges. Just, say, in American society, not everyone becomes a lawyer or a judge: rather, those are specialized professions, for those who feel motivated to acquire the education and training.

That's part of a worldview that holds that there is one truth, and one way to view that one truth. Judaism embraces truths, not truth, and holds space for people seeing those truths in different ways.

Understanding the Torah has obviously been quite a task for you, having studied and researched for years and years. But, the truth of the matter is that not everyone finds the Torah that hard to understand. In all actuality, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand the Torah (oral or literal). I’ve read the Torah and I’ve spoken to several Rabbis (you included) and have yet to be stumped by anything. I just think that maybe you are making it more complex than what it really needs to be. Anything can be complex, if you gather under the umbrella of, “This can be interpreted in many ways.” And you can pretty much make anything logical in life -- all you have to do is interpret it until it becomes logical. The simple illogical statement, “The square-shaped, gray ball is round and white,” can be made to seem logical by someone simply saying, “Well it can be true. It depends on how you interpret it. Gray is the product of black and white, so technically it can be considered not only white, but black to boot. And technically there could very well be a circle within the square because the ball can be burst and molded into a circle.” Constantly falling back on the interpretation factor comes off as simply being a safety net. I know you’ve said several times how there are so many interpretations and that’s why it could be confusing and difficult to arrive at a total truth or truths (as you’re pretty emphatic about that little word), and I’ve personally spoken to other Rabbis and Jews and they also seem to deal with the matter by resolving to that reasoning. And maybe that reasoning works within the Jewish community, but the rest of us see things that are so obvious for what it actually is. Some of us feel that if something doesn’t make sense, it just doesn’t make sense. It’s not because of interpretation, it’s because it just doesn’t make sense. If something doesn’t make sense to me, I don’t try to interpret it into making sense and fitting a desired mode. I don’t say, “Well, maybe there’s just a hidden solution that I have yet to find within a different interpretation.” And the fact that it doesn’t make sense doesn’t mean it’s because it’s so complex that it just takes years and years to realize how it makes sense...it’s just that there’s no making sense of it, period. And no amount of education, research, and studying is going to make it make sense. I know it may not be your intention, but the way you speak of your religion, it can easily lead a person to think that it is something that can be seen as all smoke and mirrors. “Nothing is what it appears to be. Ooooh.... It is all but an illusion,” when in fact I find that the foundation of it is pretty straight forward.

Passover: see Exodus 12-13, Exodus 23:15, Leviticus 23:5 ff., Deuteronomy 16:1-16
Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement): see Leviticus 16, Leviticus 23:27-32, Exodus 30:10, Numbers 29:7-11
Sukkot (Feat of Tabernacles): see Exodus 23:16, Leviticus 23:34-43, Deuteronomy 16:13-16, Deuteronomy 31:10-13

It's too bad you went to all that trouble to list all those scriptures because I'm already very aware of these scriptures. The problem is, I didn't say that the "holy" days I mentioned weren't in the Torah or the Old Testament. I said they were not listed in the Ten Commandments. You know, the ten rules given to Moses? Those "holy" days aren't mentioned there. You made a point about the "Sabbath" being in the Ten Commandments, which justified keeping it. The point I, then, made was that the days (and others) I mentioned are not in the Ten Commandments.

I don't recall anyone demanding that you believe anything.

So true. And I don't recall saying that anyone was demanding I believe. I guess you...misinterpreted.

Yes, it is too bad. That rabbi is laboring under a misapprehension.

I'm sure he'd beg to differ. But that's the problem with so many people seeing one thing so differently.

Most of which health problems can be avoided with due care and diligence.

In any case, the Leviticus prohibtions on men having sex with men in the way one does with a woman has never been connected in halachah with what kind of sexual relations are or are not permissible to a married couple. And since there is even room for debate about what the prohibtions in Leviticus mean, and even more room to debate what its intentions were, it seems to me that it doesn't make much sense for us to introduce it into the halachah today, when it has never been so connected before.

Wait a minute, so are you saying that you don't believe homosexuality is a sin? I just want to make sure I'm correctly understand what you're saying.

There are several teshuvot (responsa) from the Gaonic period that discuss this matter, and several from the Tosafists, and all agree it is permissible for a married couple. The Rabbanim seem also to permit it (I recall Nedarim 20b off the top of my head, but I know there are other citations I don't have memorized) to married couples.

So if an unmarried couple does it, it's not permissible because there's not supposed to be sex before marriage. But, if you're married, pretty much anything goes. Is that a correct assessment?

And certainly plenty of modern rabbis have ruled that the responsibility of the husband to provide gratification to his wife can include whatever acts between the two of them that they deem mutually satisfactory.

So let me get this straight, if she wanted to sleep with another woman, it'd be permissible because it pleases her. Is that correct?

thebigpicture

No. When a person hears the word "Pope" they know it deals with ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

"Pope" is in no way "synonymous" with "Christianity".
Your choice of comparison is also lame in many other ways,
as previously pointed out.
Why not just admit it. :shrug:

Why on earth would I admit something that's not true. Maybe that's the kind of thing you're accustomed to doing. Me...not so much. Anyone will tell you that the Pope is associated with Christianity. If you don't get it, that's your shortcoming. You can take a person with absolutely no religious education at all and list the four words "Pope", "Rabbi", "Judaism", and "Christianity" and they'd still be able to correctly match which should be grouped together. It's absolutely unbelievable how something as plain and simple a fact as the Pope is a Christian and a Rabbi is a Jew gets debated on this thread. I've never seen anything like it.

blackout

Violet.
Why on earth would I admit something that's not true. Maybe that's the kind of thing you're accustomed to doing. Me...not so much. Anyone will tell you that the Pope is associated with Christianity. If you don't get it, that's your shortcoming. You can take a person with absolutely no religious education at all and list the four words "Pope", "Rabbi", "Judaism", and "Christianity" and they'd still be able to correctly match which should be grouped together. It's absolutely unbelievable how something as plain and simple a fact as the Pope is a Christian and a Rabbi is a Jew gets debated on this thread. I've never seen anything like it.

Many Christians
do not even believe the Pope is Christian.

I'm going to list four words,
"Nun", "Rabbi", "Judaism", and "Christianity".

Rakhel

You are confusing, like most people do, Judaism with Christianity. We are not committed to just the "Ten Commandments"(which is a Christian term. We are committed to the whole law. All 613.

You want religion to be confined within your definition so you know where you stand and can denigrate it. The problem with that is religion is not confined to a box. it is all around the box. Inside and out of it.

But you know what? If you refuse to look at the big picture, there is no further point in attempting to show it to you.

Have a good day, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.