• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbelievable - This makes me so mad

jonny

I was reading an article today on Mitt Romney and the obsticles that he has to overcome with his presidetial campaign. The reporter included this paragraph:

"I think it's the biggest stumbling block of his candidacy," said Matt Barron, a political analyst. "(Southern, right-wing Christians) freak out at Mormonism. It conjures up so many horrible and evil things to them, fairly or unfairly."

Those "horrible" things include the fact that Mormons pray to their founder, Joseph Smith -- a human -- rather than the spiritual Jesus that Catholics and Protestants hold at the center of their worship. There's also the unusual strictness with which Mormons abstain from drinks containing caffeine or alcohol, and the fact that Mormons wear garments under their clothes as a continuous reminder of faith.
What the hell?!? In an article where she's trying to demonstrate how people are ignorant of Mormonism, she makes the most ignorant mistake I have ever seen a journalist make.

MORMONS DO NOT PRAY TO JOSEPH SMITH!!!!!

Don't believe everything you read. Rebecca Fater is obviouly an ignorant journalist who doesn't check her facts. Anyone who wants to point out her ignorance can email her at [email protected]. I already sent one off.

She also said that "Mormonism states that aborting a fetus at any time is wrong." This is also false. Mormonism states that in cases of rape, incest, or when the mother's life is in danger that she can make the decision for herself.

If you want to read the entire load of garbage, you can check it out here:
http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_3450183

Is the Lowell Sun a Newspaper or a Tabloid?

jonny

I guess what frustrates me is that even if she corrects it, the damage is already done. How many people in Mass. are going to read that article and get this misinformation?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
yeah, i must say, that was truly stupid of her...*sigh* This just more proof that people are suffering from ignorance

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
jonny said:
I was reading an article today on Mitt Romney and the obsticles that he has to overcome with his presidetial campaign. The reporter included this paragraph:
Don't get too riled up.
If you wern't getting a lot right, they would not fear you so much.
It is the same as the Black white thing... driven by fear.

Just stick with it and don't get provoked.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

jonny

Terrywoodenpic said:
Don't get too riled up.
If you wern't getting a lot right, they would not fear you so much.
It is the same as the Black white thing... driven by fear.

Just stick with it and don't get provoked.
Thanks for the advice. I try not to get too riled up by this stuff, but it makes me pretty frustrated. This is so basic!

I was very polite in the email that I sent her before anyone gets the idea that I told her off. :D

jonny

That we don't pray to Joseph Smith and that we do pray do God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. I did call it an ignorant mistake though. :)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Buttons* said:
yeah, i must say, that was truly stupid of her...*sigh* This just more proof that people are suffering from ignorance

and the sad part is that people rely on articles like that for their information. That'd be like me trying to get information on Islam from Pat Robertson.

Smoke

Done here.
I hope that was her very first attempt at journalism. Really, really, bad.

I did find it amusing that she contrasted Joseph Smith to Jesus -- Smith being "a human" and Jesus being "spiritual."
Now, back to writing obits for Ms. Frater, I hope.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Those "horrible" things include the fact that Mormons pray to their founder, Joseph Smith -- a human -- rather than the spiritual Jesus that Catholics and Protestants hold at the center of their worship.
Don't Catholics pray to Mary, and some saints?

Bishka

Veteran Member
That makes me angry also. I highly dobut Romey will win or get very far, because this country will probably have a woman or black president before they ever have a Mormon president.

Smoke

Done here.
beckysoup61 said:
That makes me angry also. I highly dobut Romey will win or get very far, because this country will probably have a woman or black president before they ever have a Mormon president.
I hope if we ever do have a Mormon president, it ain't Mitt Romney. ;)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Darkdale said:
and the sad part is that people rely on articles like that for their information. That'd be like me trying to get information on Islam from Pat Robertson.
you mean pat isn't the expert :eek:

jonny, the chance are that Romney got information by googeling mormonism........ and i think most the LDS members here will varify that the the majority of internet sites with info on mormonism are wrong

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Sometimes bad press can be a good thing. It get's your name mentioned more. Look at all the bad press Shrub got, and he still won. Saying something off the wall like that peaks people's curiosity, bringing him more to the spotlight. I'm sure the question will be asked of him again, with this time more people listening. ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sometimes bad press can be a good thing. It get's your name mentioned more. Look at all the bad press Shrub got, and he still won. Saying something off the wall like that peaks people's curiosity, bringing him more to the spotlight. I'm sure the question will be asked of him again, with this time more people listening. ;)
Bad publicity is how Emenim sold millions of albums, how Brokeback Mountain got lots of people seeing, even though many were originally outraged by the plot, Shrub as you mentioned got re-elected, and many other things. Maybe due to that article, there will be some people converting to Mormonism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll be writing a letter. (Non-angry, but pointed.) It's a shame when people reveal their ignorance like this.
Is it possible for you to write an angry message?

I think to aviod things like this, the only rule in "freedom of press" is unless its noted as fiction, it should contain information cited from credible sources. That would prevent alot of misunderstandings in society, and might just make the world a more peacefull place.