• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine has become a dictatorship, it's official

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The presidential elections were scheduled for March 31st, but they will not be held.
And please, spare me the martial law thing: a wartime can even last twenty years. That would make twenty years of martial law.
And by the way, martial law is itself, dictatorship, because there is no democratic vote.

Look at Russia. They are at war, but they still held elections.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The presidential elections were scheduled for March 31st, but they will not be held.
And please, spare me the martial law thing: a wartime can even last twenty years. That would make twenty years of martial law.
And by the way, martial law is itself, dictatorship, because there is no democratic vote.

The U.S. still held elections even during the Civil War.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Gee, I wonder if there's a difference between suspending elections during wartime and suspending elections during a LITERAL INVASION THAT YOU ARE SUFFERING.

If you really want democracy to be restored in Ukraine, put the blame where it actually belongs: On Russia. Demand they stop their invasion and retreat over their own borders. Stop spreading fascist propaganda.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Gee, I wonder if there's a difference between suspending elections during wartime and suspending elections during a LITERAL INVASION THAT YOU ARE SUFFERING.

If you really want democracy to be restored in Ukraine, put the blame where it actually belongs: On Russia. Demand they stop their invasion and retreat over their own borders. Stop spreading fascist propaganda.
For the record: during WW2 we were also invaded by the allies, we made peace with them, and then we held new elections.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

You say it's "official".
Have a press release from Ukraine that you can link?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the record: during WW2 we were also invaded by the allies, we made peace with them, and then we held new elections.

Didn't Mussolini get voted out in 1943 by his own party? After that, the new leader of Italy surrendered.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Yes, we understand your love for strongmen. Probably why you like Trump -- you have that in common.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Didn't Mussolini get voted out in 1943 by his own party? After that, the new leader of Italy surrendered.
Officially, because all Italians (none excluded) were sick and tired of the war.
So Fascists voted out Mussolini, so the king would nominate another Prime Minister. Who said "Fascism is over. War continues".

Underground, behind the scenes: Mussolini was in on it. He wanted to escape from the Nazis' rage and vengeance, by pretending he was victim of his fellow fascists. The king arrested him (I mean...in a ski resort hotel...a ski resort hotel in Abruzzo doesn't sound like "prison")...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Are you a sockpuppet of Putin?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Officially, because all Italians (none excluded) were sick and tired of the war.
So Fascists voted out Mussolini, so the king would nominate another Prime Minister. Who said "Fascism is over. War continues".

Underground, behind the scenes: Mussolini was in on it. He wanted to escape from the Nazis' rage and vengeance, by pretending he was victim of his fellow fascists. The king arrested him (I mean...in a ski resort hotel...a ski resort hotel in Abruzzo doesn't sound like "prison")...

The Nazis were able to send commandos to rescue Mussolini and reinstall him as a puppet dictator in northern Italy, while the fighting continued from 1943 until nearly the end of the war in 1945. There may have been a few Italians who still supported Mussolini, but he had to be propped up by Hitler's waning military might. Italy became a battleground between Germany and the Western Allies. The Italians were treated better by their enemies than by their friends. The Italians welcomed the Allied armies as liberators.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Nazis were able to send commandos to rescue Mussolini and reinstall him as a puppet dictator in northern Italy, while the fighting continued from 1943 until nearly the end of the war in 1945. There may have been a few Italians who still supported Mussolini, but he had to be propped up by Hitler's waning military might. Italy became a battleground between Germany and the Western Allies. The Italians were treated better by their enemies than by their friends. The Italians welcomed the Allied armies as liberators.
I am from the South. To us, war ended in 1943. Because Americans managed to conquer all the South, including Naples.
Despite Nazis' attempt to reconquer Sicily back.
By the by, my grandparents kept a missile fired by the Nazis in the harbor, and I still have it.
Of course it's empty. It's an interesting piece of history.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Odd sexual references and winking faces don't really help. Only fools, fascists and the deluded think Russia just held a free and fair democratic election.
Really? Maybe in your country there's such a narrative.
In other countries they say that Russians are all wicked and they elected another wicked man, Putin, who is like them.
:)
So they believe they were free and fair democratic elections.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...which is what Ukraine should do. Make peace with the Russians.
Ukraine has other ideas.
Unlike Italy, there's no love for Putin,
or to become under his boot.
Considering what the Americans did in Japan...
yes, we consider ourselves the smart ones. :)
Japan attacked USA.
USA ended that war ASAP, thereby avoiding
even more deaths.
Italy sided with Hitler, who was the aggressor.
Italy went along with his plan to exterminate
millions of people, & conquer the continent.
Italy was (perhaps still is) ready to assist any
predatory misanthrope.