• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UAE Probe to Mars

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I love it when the world comes together to explore the greatest frontier.

I hope exciting discoveries await.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It’s great that we have the desire to explore our universe...

Unfortunately, such endeavors take a lot of money!!!

Money that would be better spent on feeding the world’s hungry & homeless. Fixing problems here, at home.

More misplaced priorities. And evidence of our inability to successfully govern ourselves, as a species.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Money that would be better spent on feeding the world’s hungry & homeless. Fixing problems here, at home.

More misplaced priorities. And evidence of our inability to successfully govern ourselves, as a species.
Space exploration is surprisingly cheap compared to other government spendings and it has return on investment. You won't feed many hungry with a science budget.
Go to the military or to the subsidies for mega corporation if you need some serious money.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Personally I think we can, and should, spend money on both. Exploration of new places has never disappointed us in the long-term. Imagine if humans had never explored anything outside of their caves somewhere in Africa. That was home, dangit! We had priorities there! Yet thank goodness we had the drive and curiosity to leave the nest!

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I disagree. Part of the essence of being human is our drive to explore. Learning more about the universe and how we fit into it is part and parcel of who we are as a species.

I agree that we have many problems here on Earth that need to be addressed. But the spin-offs of our space programs often lead to new technologies that help us to work on these problems. Plus there is the sheer unification of seeing our species step out into the universe. That alone is priceless.

Most of the issues, like homelessness and poverty, are matters of political will, not just of financing. All too often we ignore the suffering of others because we see them as inferior, whether because they have lost a job, or because they live in a place we see as lesser.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
UAE Probe to Mars
The title conjured up some disturbing images.
It better get permission from Mars first.

I like space exploration becoming more diverse.
While the Moon landings were dramatic, the
remote sensing/exploration is far more interesting.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Most of the issues, like homelessness and poverty, are matters of political will, not just of financing.

I agree with that!
Still, IMO, the few benefits derived from space exploration don't outweigh the costs.

I'd be interested in what benefits you believe we've acquired through these endeavors? Experiments in zero gravity & the vacuum of space, don't require trips to Mars.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with that!
Still, IMO, the few benefits derived from space exploration don't outweigh the costs.

I'd be interested in what benefits you believe we've acquired through these endeavors? Experiments in zero gravity & the vacuum of space, don't require trips to Mars.

We don't know what we don't know.

Like the Europeans who left the Old World to explore the New, there are no guarantees. But the effort has consistently paid off in the long term to explore new places and learn more about the world around us.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
For the opening of Mars Month, the United Arab Emirates managed to put a probe, 'Hope', into orbit around Mars. This is the first Mars mission by an Arab government.

China and the US are next in line this month:

UAE “Hope” probe successfully reaches Mars, two more following shortly

Fingers crossed for this mission.

One I have my eye on:

https://www.nasa.gov/perseverance

It arrives at Mars in six days.

Landing will be tricky!

upload_2021-2-12_8-42-41.jpeg

Many innovative technologies used. One really neat component (though they used one right off the shelf, a commercial product!) - first time ever - will be a microphone:

Microphones On NASA's Rover Will Record Audible Sounds On Mars