• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U2 ~ In the Name of Love (Jesus Christ)

FFH

Veteran Member
The person who put this video together understands the lyrics perfectly and perfectly illustrates what Paul David Hewson (Bono) was trying to convey.

This is a perfect song for this season.

Who is Jesus?

One man come in the name of love (Jesus Christ's birth)
One man come and go (Jesus Christ's birth, death and resurrection)
One man come here to justify (Jesus Christ's sufferings in Gethsemane and on the cross)
One man to overthrow (Jesus Christ's second coming)
In the name of love!
One man in the name of love (Jesus Christ)
In the name of love!
What more? In the name of love! (What more could Jesus Christ and our Eternal Father have done to show us their infinite love for us !!!)

One man caught on a barbed wire fence (Jesus Christ and a reference to his crown of thorns)
One man he resists (Judas Escariot, or he could be referring to Peter, who tried to prevent Christ from being crucified)
One man washed on an empty beach (Peter, or he could be referring to Jesus Christ's baptism)
One man betrayed with a kiss (Judas Escariot)

In the name of love!
What more in the name of love?
In the name of love!
What more? In the name of love!

...nobody like you...there's nobody like you... (Jesus)

Mmm...mmm...mmm...
Early morning, April 4 (Martin Luther King) Note: Jesus Christ died April 3rd
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky (Martin Luther King)
Free at last, they took your life (Martin Luther King)
They could not take your pride (Martin Luther King)

In the name of love!
In the name of love!
In the name of love!
What more in the name of love...

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
... Maybe this makes Bono the antichrist. He's helping world peace, donating to charities (like prince William) writes about Jesus, thinks he's amazing. He's a celebrity with a LOT of attention, good and bad, and he could just as well be in the running, especially since he wrote those lyrics.

FFH

Veteran Member
... Maybe this makes Bono the antichrist. He's helping world peace, donating to charities (like prince William) writes about Jesus, thinks he's amazing. He's a celebrity with a LOT of attention, good and bad, and he could just as well be in the running, especially since he wrote those lyrics.
No, Paul Hewson is a genuine Christian. I did some more research on him and found out he's Catholic. My wife's a former Catholic. There are many good and great Catholic believers that have done a lot to contribute to my faith and to the world.

I get chills when I hear this song.

Chills are from the Spirit of the Lord, testifying to our spirits, that what we're hearing is good and from a good source.

"Burned by the fire of love (Jesus Christ)" ~ Paul Hewson (Bono)

U2 - In God's Country

Even with all the bad that's in this country, which Paul Hewson points out in this song, it still remains God's country, and Paul Hewson feels that, which is not felt NEARLY as strong as in other parts of the world. The Spirit of the Lord rests upon the U.S., because there are people who worship the Lord and send Christian missionaries out into the world, from the U.S., more than any other country in the world.

I'm ensign70000 on YouTube.

U2 ~ In God's Country "Proclaim Liberty to the Captives"

Doctrine and Covenants 138: 31 (LDS scripture)
And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repent of their sins and receive the gospel

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Yeah, but FFH, you haven't met him personally. How on EARTH would you be able to tell if he's the anti-christ or not simply based on "I don't think he is because he made songs about Jesus" .... because really, other people that you have said could be anti-christ figures are just as likely as Bono. Bono is even more suspicious because he does so many good things. Just look, he could be fooling all of us! The antichrist is someone who pretends to spread the goodness of God's word, but then does what Satan wants.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
While Bono does write about Jesus and God, this isn't a case of that. This song is about Martin Luther King Jr., the whole thing, not just that one part. Sure, you can interpret it to be about Jesus, but you could interpret it to be about many people.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
While Bono does write about Jesus and God, this isn't a case of that. This song is about Martin Luther King Jr., the whole thing, not just that one part. Sure, you can interpret it to be about Jesus, but you could interpret it to be about many people.
Who's he talking about when he says, "One man betrayed with a kiss"?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Who's he talking about when he says, "One man betrayed with a kiss"?

OK, you got me, but the idea is to compare them. The song is about MLK still. As I said, you can interpret it anyway you want, though. That's the beauty of U2's songs, you can do that with pretty much all of them.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
OK, you got me, but the idea is to compare them. The song is about MLK still. As I said, you can interpret it anyway you want, though. That's the beauty of U2's songs, you can do that with pretty much all of them.
Well, sure....and I doubt Bono would mind differing interpretations. ;)

I've always taken the song to be about both men...Jesus and MLK. Both came in the name of love and died for it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Yeah, but FFH, you haven't met him personally. How on EARTH would you be able to tell if he's the anti-christ or not simply based on "I don't think he is because he made songs about Jesus" .... because really, other people that you have said could be anti-christ figures are just as likely as Bono. Bono is even more suspicious because he does so many good things. Just look, he could be fooling all of us! The antichrist is someone who pretends to spread the goodness of God's word, but then does what Satan wants.
Those who sing and profess Jesus Christ as the way to salvation cannot be an antichrist.

His song lyrics clearly testify of Jesus Christ as the one who died for our sins, therefore disqualifying him as a possible antichrist, but rather a force for good in this world.

The following "In the Name of Love" U2 song lyric, "One man come here to justify," clearly speaks of Jesus Christ and his atonement.

Clearly this puts Paul Hewson in line with a belief that Jesus Christ died for his sins.

Paul was raised by a Roman Catholic father and a Protestant mother.

"Paul David Hewson was brought up in Glasnevin, Dublin. His mother, Iris, was Protestant, and his father, Bob, was a Roman Catholic. When asked whether he would call himself a Catholic or Protestant, the singer is reported to have said, "I always felt like I was sitting on the fence."

Meaning he's somewhere between Protestant and Roman Catholic.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Paul Hewson uses Martin Luther King as an example to illustrate Christ's sacrifice for us, in dying for us, so that we might live again with him.

Bono is trying to illustrate this scripture, by paralleling Martin Luther's death.

John 15: 13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Christ layed down his life for us.

FFH

Veteran Member
After reading this article there is no doubt that Paul David Hewson is a Christian, who believes in Jesus Christ as his Savior and Redeemer.

He clearly professes to be a Christian, who believes in Jesus Christ in this article and many of his songs are based on his walk with Christ. He even has prayer meetings with his band members.

Read this article and then tell me Bono is not a Christian and that none of his songs are references to his walk with the Lord.

Read this article: Orientation Online
BONO-2.jpg

Bono talks to the congregation at St. Paul United Methodist Church in Lincoln, Neb., about the AIDS crisiss in Africa. A UMNS photo by Dick Hay.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Paul David Hewson speaking...

“What can I give back to God for the blessings he’s poured out on me?” Bono asked countless times during the Elevation tour.“I’ll lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our Father, I’ll fulfill a promise I made to him.” (prelude to “Where the Streets Have No Name,” Live From Boston DVD, 2000) If his words have a biblical ring, it’s because he’s loosely quoting Psalm 116."

Read this article: Orientation Online

Before Bono sings "Where the Streets Have No Name, in this video filmed in Boston during their Elevation tour of 2001, he says "What can I give back to God for the blessings he’s poured out on me? I’ll lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our Father, I’ll fulfill a promise I made to him.”

"Where the Streets Have No Name"

A song clearly expressing a longing for heaven.

Elevation Tour Boston 2001

U2 Where The Streets Have No Name

I wanna run
I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name
Ha...ha...ha...
I want to feel
Sunlight on my face
I see the dust cloud disappear
Without a trace (a possible reference to the resurrection of the saints from off this earth)
I want to take shelter from the poison rain
Where the streets have no name (A clear unmistakable reference to Heaven)
Ho...ha...

We're still building
Then burning down love
Burning down love
And when I go there
I go there with you
It's all I can do

The city's aflood
And our love turns to rust
We're beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust
I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain

We're still building
Then burning down love
Burning down love
And when I go there
I go there with you
It's all I can do

Our love turns to rust
We're beaten and blown by the wind
Blown by the wind
Oh, and I see our love
See our love turn to rust
Oh, we're beaten and blown by the wind
Blown by the wind
Oh, when I go there
I go there with you
It's all I can do.

Web-Second-Coming.jpg

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I get chills when I hear this song.

Chills are from the Spirit of the Lord, testifying to our spirits, that what we're hearing is good and from a good source.

I am curious FFH, I can get chills from songs as well. as atheist. And those songs, e.g. Nine inch Nails are not really always "religion-friendly"..

How does that work then? :shrug:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I have to disagree with your interpretation of "Where The Streets Have No Name". That tune is off the Joshua Tree album. Joshua Tree, California (I lived there) is (or was) a town where the streets have no name. It's also "high on the desert plain" above Palm Springs. He wants to feel "sunlight on his face" because it rains all the freakin time in Dublin.

Bono is probably still a Christian but I don't think that particular song is about heaven. He simply wants a vacation. :p To go back to....Where The Streets Have No Name.

Last edited: