• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Religious Tolerance on the Rise

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We need only a definition.....
To judge someone harshly not based upon their individual traits, but
instead upon a general view of a group into which they're pigeon holed.

I thought political stances were individual traits that people were supposed to take responsibility for - among other reasons because they are expected to change them if they want to?

What am I missing here? Who is being pigeon holed, and by whom?

It fits where it fits, eg, the "basket of deplorables" scenario.

What of that scenario? I don't think Hillary should have retracted herself, for what it is worth. It sent the entirely wrong message.

People can legitimately disagree on not just politics, but also religion, economics, culture, etc.

Fair understanding is a thing in short supply.

I would say so!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Outside of Hindus and Buddhists, all the religions mentioned in this polls believe other Gods are false and belief in no Gods is wrong.

I have to ask - who taught you that? This is not at all my understanding of those other traditions. With the possible exception of Evangelicals.

Uhm, there's much bias here and it really depends who you ask. Even the article suggests this so sorry, I can't agree to how accurate this poll is without a breakdown of who and what was being asked.

PEW describes their methods in detail. You're free to read them, if you'd like. Granted, depending on what your working knowledge is of survey methodology, it may not mean a lot for you. They use standard, well-accepted practices, though. In other words, yes, it's accurate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought political stances were individual traits that people were supposed to take responsibility for - among other reasons because they are expected to change them if they want to?
What am I missing here? Who is being pigeon holed, and by whom?
People in any political group are not identical.
To allow for individual diversity is wise.
What of that scenario? I don't think Hillary should have retracted herself, for what it is worth. It sent the entirely wrong message.
I would say so!
Hillary committed bigotry, demonizing people who simply prefer someone else to her.
She now (apparently) regrets it too.

suncowiam

I have to ask - who taught you that? This is not at all my understanding of those other traditions. With the possible exception of Evangelicals.

PEW describes their methods in detail. You're free to read them, if you'd like. Granted, depending on what your working knowledge is of survey methodology, it may not mean a lot for you. They use standard, well-accepted practices, though.

Your definition of religion has always been broad but that is your own personal definition.

Why do you think atheists and Muslims are so low on the list? Any possible merrits concerning the reasons I have mentioned.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That's a possibility too. Not sure if I know an Evangelical right now. I did in the past - and he was quite the interesting fellow. Very respectable, but that may have been symptomatic of the inter-religious dialogue group I met him at. He would say to your face that he believed us Pagans were going to hell, but that he still respected us as persons. It was rather refreshing at the time.
my brother-in-law is like that

Jumi

If you were to rate these groups on your own warmness thermometer, what would you rate? This is mostly for the thought experiment, not to debate other people's responses, but I guess if you all want to go in that direction, feel free!

Atheists - 100°
Buddhists - 100°
Catholics - 100°
Evangelical Christians - 100°
Hindus - 100°
Jews - 100°
Mainline Protestants - 100°
Muslims - 100°

Body temperature, right? No ones dead to me.

Here's the thing, there are lots of good people in each and lots of bad apples. You should have the liberty to believe what religion you want.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Hillary committed bigotry, demonizing people who simply prefer someone else to her.
As I said: entirely the wrong message. You should know better, but still.

Servant_of_the_One1

Muslims 100%
Unitarian Christians 20%
Jews 5%
Atheists 0,0001%
Shias 1%
Universalists 60%
Hindus ,Buddhists,Trinitarians and other forms of polytheist groups 0,5%

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

It would have been better to not drag her into this considering the evil one now in the White House with his minions.

Sonny

Yeah, that's something I've never understood about PEW. I'm tempted to compose a letter backed with some research citations demonstrating that it makes no darned sense for them not to list that demographic. There are more of us in America than there are Hindus, by most estimates I've seen. I suspect it is because Paganism is (erroneously) not considered a "world religion."
Shouldn't they have added hedonism and evolutionists, too? I guess they can't add all of them bc, these days, every thing is somebody's religion so the list would be very long, or so it seems to me.

Sonny

Atheists and White Evangelicals abhor each other. :p
Religious groups tend to rate themselves most positively

Both atheists and white evangelicals rate each other at 33 degrees and 29 degrees respectively, the most negative ratings of all.
That's too bad bc I don't hate atheists or any other group. We are all in this together. I may disagree with them on religious points of view but as a human being they are equal with the same temperature as me, to me.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Telling this:-
Evangelical Christians, rated relatively warmly at 61 degrees, are the only group for which the mean rating did not change since the question was last asked in 2014.
Not only that, but if you follow the link to the site their rating did not change among Democrats or among Republicans. 53 temp among Democrats. 71 temp among Republicans. There were flat lines not just for the whole but for each group, demonstrating a complete failure to interact and exchange ideas.

Sonny

It would have been better to not drag her into this considering the evil one now in the White House with his minions.
You must have forgot that the evil Kenyan-born man with a fake SS# left Office about a month ago. All of us understand. But a new and better man is now President and you simply keep forgetting that. It's an easy mistake to make.