• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"U.S. Image Suffers as Publics Around World Question Trump’s Leadership"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I think it is you that does not like America, and you are just making opinionated assumptions about the rest of the world.
Why would I dislike America? The creators of Popeye's Chicken and practically every show that is awesome.
I mean yeah Trump is an *******, but that's not America. Where I live if you do not mock something, it means that you dislike it. We mock everything and everyone, especially ourselves. If I were to go by your comment, I would have to assume that Americans are touchy af.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wouldn't even expect the big city sophisticates or Ivy League graduates to take a step back and take an objective, analytical look at the big picture. If they did, they wouldn't be in such a panic over Trump nor attributing America's purported "tarnished image" to Trump.

It's difficult to be optimistic or to give Trump the benefit of a doubt considering that there has been nothing but bumbling buffoonery right out of the gate.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Why would I dislike America? The creators of Popeye's Chicken and practically every show that is awesome.
I mean yeah Trump is an *******, but that's not America. Where I live if you do not mock something, it means that you dislike it. We mock everything and everyone, especially ourselves. If I were to go by your comment, I would have to assume that Americans are touchy af.

"f I were to go by your comment, I would have to assume that Americans are touchy af."

You are the one that seems to be upset.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
"f I were to go by your comment, I would have to assume that Americans are touchy af."

You are the one that seems to be upset.
You're the one accusing me of disliking because I pointed out that there's a long running joke outside the US that you're obnoxious. Stereotypes, man, don't shoot the messenger.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
You're the one accusing me of disliking because I pointed out that there's a long running joke outside the US that you're obnoxious. Stereotypes, man, don't shoot the messenger.

Actually what you said was:

I mean no offence when I say this because Americans are awesome peeps, but the rest of the world has not viewed American politics as sane or rational since before I was born. Course when Trump was announced as Prez everyone facepalmed but America hasn't had the greatest rep worldwide for years.

To which I pointed out that the data does not support your assessment (with the exception of Trump of course).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
PG_2017.06.26.US_Image-00-0.png

PG_2017.06.26.US_Image-00-1.png

U.S. Image Suffers as Publics Around World Question Trump’s Leadership

It seems the world dislikes Trump even more than Americans do.
What? America is somehow now the world equivalent of the Kardashians or something?

They are not in charge of our Constitution and they certainly have their own concerns than concern themselves with an image issue of another foreign country they have no control over.

Whining and moaning about Trump being simply gawd awful and the end of all civilization may commence.

Keep on Trump spamming. Great job I might add!!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No, I don't get you, as that was favorable view of the U.S., but perhaps you have alternative data, something other than just your opinion. Did you perhaps conduct your own global survey? Or is this just something you think is the case, based on nothing but your own personal views?

Clearly some people have always held favourable or unfavourable views of the US.
In the UK it does not even follow political lines.
I have found that people that I have met, tend to like Americans individually. But think that the USA has rather moronic political, economic, religious, and social views, when viewed collectively.
So there was absolutely no surprise when they elected Trump, who is some sort of absurd archetypal American.

In the real world Americans, as do all people, fit on to a scale from Zero to 100% on likeability, just as they do on about every other measure that can be applied.
Unfortunately the ones that we notice most, are at the bottom end of these scales.

Twilight Hue

It's difficult to be optimistic or to give Trump the benefit of a doubt considering that there has been nothing but bumbling buffoonery right out of the gate.
I'll agree he's crass. No arguement there.

But it's still too early to tell if his policies are going to be beneficial or detrimental yet. People are simply too impatient nowadays. It takes time.

Right now it's all revenge politics going back and forth with little or no progress or foresight to look at the overall picture.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's a mystery why being led by a buffoon has not improved the perception of America abroad.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
As though the bumpkins who voted for her were any more analytical?
To be fair, I don't put anyone on this forum in the "bumpkin" category when referring to Trump. I understand why some voted that way and most here are critical of Trump, too. Well... except for @YmirGF because he is a big meanie mouse.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
To which I pointed out that the data does not support your assessment (with the exception of Trump of course).
But the data you are looking at only says "favourable" vs "unfavourable". It doesn't really give a full picture of how America is viewed in the world. A genius scientist and a lovable dufus might both be viewed favourably. Which do you think is the better analogy for how the world views the U.S?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's not a question of that. If America's image suffers that much solely due to Trump, then our image couldn't have been that great to begin with.

Besides, I have to question why certain politicians, pundits, and others at that level of society are so much more concerned with what people in other countries think about America, while constantly denigrating and ridiculing what Americans think about America. You dismiss them as "backwater bumpkins," but what does rhetoric like that do for America's image?

Quetzal

Premium Member
If America's image suffers that much solely due to Trump, then our image couldn't have been that great to begin with.
Maybe, maybe not. I think international perception is almost solely determined by the leadership because there is nothing else they can see/experience.

Twilight Hue

Besides, I have to question why certain politicians, pundits, and others at that level of society are so much more concerned with what people in other countries think about America, while constantly denigrating and ridiculing what Americans think about America.
Isn't it though? :0)

For decades, the common citizenry has been expressing their frustrations, grievances, and concerns, and to the largest extent, only to be largely ignored and discarded, while the focus remains unceasingly on matters of foreign policy and international affairs with little deviance from those things. Domestic issues and affairs seems to be a perpetual back burner endeavor in government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To be fair, I don't put anyone on this forum in the "bumpkin" category when referring to Trump. I understand why some voted that way and most here are critical of Trump, too. Well... except for @YmirGF because he is a big meanie mouse.
Everyone had their reasons.
Reasonable people inhabited both sides.....as did bumpkins.

But yeah, the notion that every Trump voter is mentally deficient is an ironic charge.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe, maybe not. I think international perception is almost solely determined by the leadership because there is nothing else they can see/experience.

Actually, they can see quite a bit of America besides the President. I'm actually impressed at how much foreigners know about American movies, TV, music, politics, celebrity gossip. Ronald McDonald probably has a greater impact on our image around the world than any of our leaders ever did. Or something like Disneyland, which seems to be a popular attraction for foreigners as much as Americans. Many people from other countries seem like they immerse themselves in American pop culture - for reasons I've never been able to fathom. They know much more about our country, our politics, and our history than most Americans would know about their countries. They can see/experience much more about America than just our leadership.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Actually, they can see quite a bit of America besides the President. I'm actually impressed at how much foreigners know about American movies, TV, music, politics, celebrity gossip. Ronald McDonald probably has a greater impact on our image around the world than any of our leaders ever did. Or something like Disneyland, which seems to be a popular attraction for foreigners as much as Americans. Many people from other countries seem like they immerse themselves in American pop culture - for reasons I've never been able to fathom. They know much more about our country, our politics, and our history than most Americans would know about their countries. They can see/experience much more about America than just our leadership.
Interesting, why do you think that is? Why do you think they know more? Better news outlets and exposure?