• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TX GOP Lawmaker Brags About Not Doing Anything Useful to Stop Gun Violence

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Now after reading the above, either you misunderstood the CPD chief’s statement or he doesn’t know what he is talking about.
I heard him say this when interviewed, plus I had read about this even prior to hearing him.

First what do you mean by “universal background checks”?
Federal database that cover all transactions involving guns. The House passed such a bill, but McConnell won't even send it to committee.

Final points: we have several TIMES the homicide rate of Canada, each of the western European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and numerous others. This is largely due to a proliferation of guns whereas we have more than one gun for every man, woman, and child. Common sense should tell anyone that the "law of unforeseen consequences" is likely to apply. To deny this is like expecting that having more cars will lead to fewer accidents.

Fortunately, the vast majority of Americans now realize that something needs to be done with this excessive availability of the kind of guns our Founding Fathers could not have imagined. Even Walmart has finally bitten the bullet and has taken some common-sense actions.

And now it's clear that the NRA leadership is as corrupt as the day is long, scamming millions from donations for their own personal gain. And then they resist basically any change that might help lower the bloodshed of innocent Americans. 89% of Republicans polled say that we need universal background checks, including a majority of members who contribute to the NRA.

What has long prompted me to do the homework is the fact that my son, who suffers from bipolar disorder, tried to commit suicide twice when he was in his teens by cutting his wrists. I asked him later that if I kept a loaded gun in the house whether he would have used it on himself, and he said absolutely he would and that this is what he actually wanted to use. Now he will be turning 47 next month and he owns his own company.

And as I mentioned before, my own father, an Army veteran that served in the Pacific theater under MacArthur, took his NRA card, ripped it up, and sent it to the NRA and telling them what they could do with it. Later on, when suffering depression after my mother died, he took his guns into the basement, took a hammer, and destroyed them.

Study after study has verified the simple fact that keeping a loaded gun in the house puts the family that lives there at greater risk than not having a gun at all. Matter of fact, there are better ways of protecting one's home that do have proven records, such as exterior lights, safety doors, dogs, etc.

Anyhow, this "discussion" is rather painful for me, so I will not continue on with it.

We Never Know

No Slack
While I agree that private sales do need more regulation, the fact is that people suffering from mental illness are statistically less likely to be murderers, including mass-murderers. They are actually more likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrators.

Dude. I picked 10 radon mass shootings from 2005 to present plus the latest one in Texas. Every shooter suffered from mental illness. How can you justify that with your studies telling me people with mental illness don't do mass shootings?

Let's just keep ignoring the elephant in the room right?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Dude. I picked 10 radon mass shootings from 2005 to present plus the latest one in Texas. Every shooter suffered from mental illness.
I doubt they were random, and you failed to provide even a single source.

How can you justify that with your studies telling me people with mental illness don't do mass shootings?
1) That's not what I said. I said people with mental illnesses are statistically less likely to be killers, including mass killers.
2) Your sample is tiny.
3) Most of the names you gave were vaguely diagnosed - you simply ascribed them with "depression" or "anxiety". Considering the number of people who suffer from those kinds of conditions, you'd be extremely hard-pressed to actually find a meaningful correlation between them and murder. You also included "aspergers", "autism" and "abuse" as mental illnesses, which they aren't.

Let's just keep ignoring the elephant in the room right?
I've already presented a study which shows your assumptions are false. The elephant in the room is extremist ideology, which is a far greater cause of mass killings and domestic terrorism, which you are apparently ignoring.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Dude. I picked 10 radon mass shootings from 2005 to present plus the latest one in Texas. Every shooter suffered from mental illness. How can you justify that with your studies telling me people with mental illness don't do mass shootings?

1) That's not what I said. I said people with mental illnesses are statistically less likely to be killers, including mass killers.
2) Your sample is tiny.

I've already presented a study which shows your assumptions are false. The elephant in the room is extremist ideology, which is a far greater cause of mass killings and domestic terrorism, which you are apparently ignoring.

Keep your head buried in the sand. I gave 10 random mass shootings,with the shooter, and listed their mental illness they suffered.
You asked for a source and I told you to Google the names and gave you obe/with source for free.
If want to ignore the elephant in the room that's fine, but the problem is very clear.
Google all the ones I listed, and yes they were random, and you will see what I posted is fact. I think I went above and beyond my part by researching a random 10. They everyone suffered mental illness and the latest one in Texas which was banned from purchasing firearms because of mental illness.

We Never Know

No Slack

2) Your sample is tiny.
3) Most of the names you gave were vaguely diagnosed - you simply ascribed them with "depression" or "anxiety". Considering the number of people who suffer from those kinds of conditions, you'd be extremely hard-pressed to actually find a meaningful correlation between them and murder. You also included "aspergers", "autism" and "abuse" as mental illnesses, which they aren't.

Let's make a make deal. Since you are too lazy or refuse to look up the shooters I clearly posted, I will link each name again, with the source that states their mental illness. In return you stop posting for 3 months. Deal or No Deal?

Yeah I realise you can agree and then after I meet my part, you can keep posting but then again if you do that, all your credibility here is in the trash.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Keep your head buried in the sand. I gave 10 random mass shootings,with the shooter, and listed their mental illness they suffered.
And you included "aspergers", "autism" and "abuse" as mental illnesses. You also wrote that a lot of them just had "depression". This this is one of the most common conditions in the world, how exactly do you link it to their killings?

You asked for a source and I told you to Google the names and gave you obe/with source for free.
If want to ignore the elephant in the room that's fine, but the problem is very clear.
You are not qualified to judge the problem. Googling ten mass shootings is not exactly stellar research.

Google all the ones I listed, and yes they were random, and you will see what I posted is fact. I think I went above and beyond my part by researching a random 10. They everyone suffered mental illness and the latest one in Texas which was banned from purchasing firearms because of mental illness.
Again, you listed nebulous things as mental illnesses. And you're STILL ignoring the studies I provided.

It's your 10 "random" instances vs a study of THOUSANDS of cases and general trends in murder and violent behaviour.

You lost already. Just drop it already and stop stigmatizing mental illness with your uninformed nonsense.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Let's make a make deal. Since you are too lazy or refuse to look up the shooters I clearly posted, I will link each name again, with the source that states their mental illness. In return you stop posting for 3 months. Deal or No Deal?
No deal. I'm not pandering to your ego just because you won't read an actual study.

Yeah I realise you can agree and then after I meet my part, you can keep posting but then again if you do that, all your credibility here is in the trash.
Really? This coming from a guy who thinks 10 cases is better than a national study and things autism, aspergers and abuse are "mental illnesses"?

We Never Know

No Slack
And you included "aspergers", "autism" and "abuse" as mental illnesses. You also wrote that a lot of them just had "depression". This this is one of the most common conditions in the world, how exactly do you link it to their killings?

You are not qualified to judge the problem. Googling ten mass shootings is not exactly stellar research.

Again, you listed nebulous things as mental illnesses. And you're STILL ignoring the studies I provided.

It's your 10 "random" instances vs a study of THOUSANDS of cases and general trends in murder and violent behaviour.

You lost already. Just drop it already and stop stigmatizing mental illness with your uninformed nonsense.

Dude. I included all that because it "was also listed". If I had left it off I would have been acused of quote mining. Every one of them have depression in common and depression is a major mental illness.

Keep your head buried. It won't change anything but keep you as part of the problem.

We Never Know

No Slack
No deal. I'm not pandering to your ego just because you won't read an actual study.

Really? This coming from a guy who thinks 10 cases is better than a national study and things autism, aspergers and abuse are "mental illnesses"?

11 random cases of mass shootings and all 11 suffering mental illness. Refute it. You can't because those are reality and facts instead BS studies done for a pay check and to hide the elephant in the room.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
11 random cases of mass shootings and all 11 suffering mental illness. Refute it. You can't because those are reality and facts instead BS studies done for a pay check and to hide the elephant in the room.
Ah yes, because we all know the American Psychological Association are in the pocket of the... mass shooter lobby?

Also, no. You counted aspergers, autism and "abuse" as mental illnesses. I'm not going to let you get away with that utter nonsense.

We Never Know

No Slack
Ah yes, because we all know the American Psychological Association are in the pocket of the... mass shooter lobby?

Also, no. You counted aspergers, autism and "abuse" as mental illnesses. I'm not going to let you get away with that utter nonsense.

I listed 11 random mass shootings, with shooter names, they all suffer mental illness. You can't deny that.
Why do you try so hard to stay blind to that?
Is it personal to you? Do you suffer mental illness? Are you trying to make excuses when I've present facts?
I've listed names and places. Its easily researched by anyone, including you.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I listed 11 random mass shootings, with shooter names, they all suffer mental illness. You can't deny that.
I can deny that everything you listed was a mental illness, and I can deny that saying they suffered from "depression" is an indicator of anything considering depression is one of the most common conditions in the world. You might as well list that they had allergies.

Why do you try so hard to stay blind to that?
Because it's a lie to claim that there is a significant correlation between mental health and murder. Less than 1% of homicides are committed by people with serious mental health issues, and people who suffer with mental illnesses are more likely to be the victims than perpetrators of violence.

You've not once refuted those facts.

Is it personal to you? Do you suffer mental illness? Are you trying to make excuses when I've present facts?
I've listed names and places. Its easily researched by anyone, including you.
And also irrelevant, since 10 cases does not equal a massive study, and most of the instances you listed indicated no significant mental illness beyond "depression" which cannot reasonably be linked with murder.

Why are you so keen to blame "mental illness" for murders when all the available studies indicate that it is not a significant factor? Why are you ignoring the far more significant factor of extremism?

Here's a list of mass shootings so far this year. Please find the mental illness involved:
List of mass shootings in the United States in 2019 - Wikipedia

We Never Know

No Slack
I can deny that everything you listed was a mental illness, and I can deny that saying they suffered from "depression" is an indicator of anything considering depression is one of the most common conditions in the world. You might as well list that they had allergies.

Because it's a lie to claim that there is a significant correlation between mental health and murder. Less than 1% of homicides are committed by people with serious mental health issues, and people who suffer with mental illnesses are more likely to be the victims than perpetrators of violence.

And also irrelevant, since 10 cases does not equal a massive study, and most of the instances you listed indicated no significant mental illness beyond "depression" which cannot reasonably be linked with murder.

Why are you so keen to blame "mental illness" for murders when all the available studies indicate that it is not a significant factor? Why are you ignoring the far more significant factor of extremism?

Refute me or stop wasting my time.

Depressive disorder, frequently referred to simply as depression, is more than just feeling sad or going through a rough patch. It’s a serious mental health condition that requires understanding and medical care.

Depression | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Let me repeat this just in case you or anyone else missed it...

U.S. population= 327 million
Guns owned by civilians=383 million.
Guns clearly out number people.

1983 to present there have been 114 mass shootings in the U.S.

114 mass shootings/383 million guns= 0.0000297% of guns used for mass shootings.

If 200 million civilians own guns(it may be higher/lower)...
114 mass shootings/200 million guns owners= 0.000057% of gun owners use guns for mass shootings.

As for mental illness and mass shootings, IMO there is a correlation. These 10 were randomly picked, researched and the results are...

Las Vegas Shooter 2017. 58 killed. Shooter Stephen Paddock suffered anxiety and depression.

Aurora, Colorado shooting 2012. 12 killed. Shooter James Holmes suffered depression, halucinations among other things.

Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting 2012. 26 killed. Shooter Adam Lanza suffered anxiety, OCD, asperger's, and schizophrenia.

Living Church of God shooting 2005. 7 killed. Shooter Terry Ratzmann suffered from depression.

Red Lake, Minnesota 2005. 10 killed. Shooter Jeff Weise suffered depression, abuse, multiple suicide attemps.

Binghamton shootings 2009. 13 killed. The shooter Jiverly Antares Wong suffered depression.

Sandy Hook 2012. 26 killed. The shooter Adam Lanza suffered asperger's, depression, anxiety and OCD.

Washington Navy Yard 2013. 12 killed. The shooter Aaron Alexis suffered depression and hearing voices.

Charleston church 2015. 9 killed. The shooter Dylann Roof suffered depression and OCD.

Stoneman Douglas High School 2018. 17 killed. The shooter Nikolas Jacob Cruz suffered depression, autism, and ADHD
You do realize that almost everybody is mentally ill in one capacity or another?

Depression is very common place. I've had depression issues a lot in my early life and I handled and shot a fair number of firearms during that time. I never once desired to go out on a rampage and hurt people including myself even at the height of my depression which concluded thoughts of suicide by which I went to see counselors on that very subject.

I think mental illness is certainly a component, and to address and control mass shootings would be the find and locate that specific trigger that would launch a mental illness into a complete psychotic episode.

If mental illness has to be considered , that would completely abolish the Second Amendment if the definition of mental illness is laid out in the broad sense in how many people suffer from a form of mental illness.

At least it's a step in the right direction to start identifying other factors other than the guns themselves.

We Never Know

No Slack

Here's a list of mass shootings so far this year. Please find the mental illness involved:
List of mass shootings in the United States in 2019 - Wikipedia

I researched 10 random mass shootings, the results showed they all suffered mental illness.
You search, then research 10 random mass shootings and show they didn't suffer mental illness. Thst way you will feel it's fair. But you won't like what you find.

We Never Know

No Slack
You do realize that almost everybody is mentally ill in one capacity or another?

Depression is very common place. I've had depression issues a lot in my early life and I handled and shot a fair number of firearms during that time. I never once desired to go out on a rampage and hurt people including myself even at the height of my depression which concluded thoughts of suicide by which I went to see counselors on that very subject.

I think mental illness is certainly a component, and to address and control mass shootings would be the find and locate that specific trigger that would launch a mental illness into a complete psychotic episode.

If mental illness has to be considered , that would completely abolish the Second Amendment if the definition of mental illness is laid out in the broad sense in how many people suffer from a form of mental illness.

At least it's a step in the right direction to start identifying other factors other than the guns themselves.

Anyone ever diagnosed or treated for a mental illness should be banned from owning guns. That's my opinion and I don't care who likes it or not.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Refute me or stop wasting my time.
You've presented nothing to refute. Pointing to ten cases of people committing shootings who happened to have depression does not indicate a causal relationship between depression and mass killings, especially not when all the available studies show that mental illness is NOT a significant factor in homicide.

You've continually ignored my studies. Why should I waste time refuting the nothing you've presented if you won't even acknowledge the actual evidence I've presented?

Depressive disorder, frequently referred to simply as depression, is more than just feeling sad or going through a rough patch. It’s a serious mental health condition that requires understanding and medical care.

Depression | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness
And now you're just being silly. I've never said depression isn't serious - I said it's extremely common, and trying to link it to homicide is ridiculous.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I researched 10 random mass shootings,
No, you "Googled" 10 mass shootings.

the results showed they all suffered mental illness.
No, the results showed that they happened to have the words "depression" show up somewhere in their Wiki page, or had autism, aspergers or suffered abuse at some point.

You search, then research 10 random mass shootings and show they didn't suffer mental illness. Thst way you will feel it's fair. But you won't like what you find.
I've provided you a Wiki link that contains all recent mass shootings in 2019. Have fun.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Anyone ever diagnosed or treated for a mental illness should be banned from owning guns. That's my opinion and I don't care who likes it or not.
And thus we reach the zenith of your ignorance. Since people with mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it, your opinion is not only worthless but potentially harmful.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, you "Googled" 10 mass shootings.

No, the results showed that they happened to have the words "depression" show up somewhere in their Wiki page, or had autism, aspergers or suffered abuse at some point.

I've provided you a Wiki link that contains all recent mass shootings in 2019. Have fun.

Regute or quit whining. Do you suffer from a mental illness? Be honest.