• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two years without a Facebook account

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I stop by Facebook once a day for "Lights of Kaballah" and the UU humor page plus keeping up with some friends and a couple of relatives who are active there.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what the objection of others to Facebook is. It's customizable. Maybe it's the data mining, but I don't care about that.

Facebook is very helpful where I live, a smallish Mexican village in which news is mostly spread word of by "mouth" in local Facebook groups. Foe example, that's how I found out when and where local vaccines were being administered and what paperwork to take. It was a month ago today, so we are expecting to hear about a second shot any day, but when we do, it will be from other expats or our local liaison via Facebook.

Today, somebody started a local thread asking expats what items they missed from home that aren't available here. I mentioned Pillsbury baked goods in the cylinders, and a woman who just opened a new market three days ago told me she carries them. Great. As soon as we're visiting stores again, we'll be there.

When there is an infrastructure outage (power, Internet, land line), we can determine through Facebook how widespread it is to decide whether to report it.

If we hear sirens on the streets, this is how we find out from one another if there has been a crime or a fire.

The events of the last year have both brought me back to Facebook for the first time in years just for something else to do while in lockdown, but I see a lot of good news stories here, and I belong to several sites that feature humor, animals, movies, landscapes, or art, as well as left-leaning news articles.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what the objection of others to Facebook is.

My only objection is when folks treat it as a requirement.

If you like it, great! Use it to your heart's content. But when someone doesn't like it, they should have to right to not use it without undue pressure or complaint.

I saw in an advice column recently that it was advised that the questioner shouldn't date someone who didn't have Facebook, as this was seen as suspicious behavior. I found that ridiculous, rude, and honestly, yet another way to divide us all against one another.

They say don't knock it till you tried it. Did that, didn't like it. For others, they find a lot of enjoyment in it. My grandmother says its the only way she gets to see the grandkids. Others use it to stay in touch with relatives overseas. There's perks.

Its just not every program suites everybody, and some people find it addictive or disruptive. I think when people say "I've been Facebook free for X years" it might be similar to someone who's trying to eat better saying "I've been sugar free for X years" or an addict saying "I've been smoke free for X years". Some would say that FB behavior couldn't be considered that extreme, but online addictions can really put a damper on lives and families.

We Never Know

No Slack
Around this time of the year 2 years ago i deleted my facebook account, and never looked back. That have been one of the best choice i have made. The freedom without a facebook account where people constantly messaged me or wanted to tag me to something i never cared for in the first place :)
But i was hooked on that website for some years, and did not see right away what social media do to us.

To much of everything is harmfull to us.
But i realize that RF have been and still is a very good friend to have especially during Covid-19 times, when everything mostly is shut down anyway :)

I shut mine down several months ago. Too much whining and negetive stuff for me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Around this time of the year 2 years ago i deleted my facebook account, and never looked back. That have been one of the best choice i have made. The freedom without a facebook account where people constantly messaged me or wanted to tag me to something i never cared for in the first place :)
But i was hooked on that website for some years, and did not see right away what social media do to us.

To much of everything is harmfull to us.
But i realize that RF have been and still is a very good friend to have especially during Covid-19 times, when everything mostly is shut down anyway :)
I'll be the first to say I don't like Facebook and I have no use for it. I did join many years ago, I forgot the reason, so now I keep getting e-mails about messages that are waiting. It is really annoying but I just delete them. Do I really care if someone just posted a picture of x? Nothing could be more boring. Life is just too short to waste. If I need to socialize I will do it on RF.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Barbecue.jpg
I lived for 70 years without knowing anything at all about my family. For my 70th birthday, my lover bought me the Ancestry DNA kit, and 3 weeks after I spit into the little vial, I got a call from my niece. Three months after that, I met my sister (her mother) and another niece (her sister). And then the next July, I went to a family barbecue, which was unbelievable for me -- something I had never considered even possible. Picture above.

Now, I am learning, very slowly, about my family. They (and my lover, of course) are really my only FB friends. You cannot possibly imagine just how important this is to me. So, I guess, for my own reasons, I am a real FB fan.

But I use it very judiciously. There's no reason to share what other people have no need to know. And I think a lot of people might have a better experience if they remembered that simple rule.

20190720_142024.jpg

Top -- just some of my newfound family at barbecue. Bottom, me and three of my sisters (Well, half-sisters, really, and all told, I have 16 half brothers and sisters. Haven't met them all yet.)

In the top picture, if you look just to the left (my right) of me (who you can tell by my hat in both pictures), the guy with the straw hat and white beard -- that's my lover of 30 years.

As my father's first-born son, I'm the oldest person at the party.

Look closely --- my sisters and I all have exactly the same nose.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
View attachment 49666 I lived for 70 years without knowing anything at all about my family. For my 70th birthday, my lover bought me the Ancestry DNA kit, and 3 weeks after I spit into the little vial, I got a call from my niece. Three months after that, I met my sister (her mother) and another niece (her sister). And then the next July, I went to a family barbecue, which was unbelievable for me -- something I had never considered even possible. Picture below.

Now, I am learning, very slowly, about my family. They (and my lover, of course) are really my only FB friends. You cannot possibly imagine just how important this is to me. So, I guess, for my own reasons, I am a real FB fan.

But I use it very judiciously. There's no reason to share what other people have no need to know. And I think a lot of people might have a better experience if they remembered that simple rule.

View attachment 49665

Top -- just some of my newfound family at barbecue. Bottom, me and three of my sisters (Well, half-sisters, really, and all told, I have 16 half brothers and sisters. Haven't met them all yet.)

In the top picture, if you look just to the left (my right) of me (who you can tell by my hat in both pictures), the guy with the straw hat and white beard -- that's my lover of 30 years.

I consider that a very worthwhile use of Facebook. Most people like being connected with family and most people could never connect with extended family any other way. I have no family except one older brother and I have not even talked to my brother in years.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
View attachment 49666 I lived for 70 years without knowing anything at all about my family. For my 70th birthday, my lover bought me the Ancestry DNA kit, and 3 weeks after I spit into the little vial, I got a call from my niece. Three months after that, I met my sister (her mother) and another niece (her sister). And then the next July, I went to a family barbecue, which was unbelievable for me -- something I had never considered even possible. Picture above.

View attachment 49665

@Evangelicahumanist yes i understand Facebook is something different for you :) And i am sure it has helped you a lot. Than is of course very good.

To me it become a place where people expected me to post becase everyone else did it. and it was unpleasant to just post for the postings sake, without a good reason to do so,

You truly do have a good reason to stay on Facebook :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like that RF gives me the ability to choose which topics I want to engage with. I am interested in religion, and I can talk about that here, and exclude topics I don't wish to talk about. Facebook didn't give me the opportunity to avoid non desired topics. With RF, I just don't click on the thread.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You don't count RF as social media? I do. What's your definition?
RF is to me not a social media like Facebook, because RF is specialized toward spiritual topics and to grow from within. To me Facebook is a place of garbage and to highten our ego, not reducing it.

This is of course only my view of it, so there will be many who like Facebook, and that is ok too