• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth in Different Religions

Enai de a lukal

Truth in Different Religions

Different people, and different cultures, have esteemed truth and honesty differently; not everyone values it in the same way. There is a parable about a Spartan youth who stole a fox and, when he was surprised, hid it under his shirt to escape detection; the fox bit deep into his abdomen and yet the boy gave no sign of pain, and became a hero for dying with such calm self-control. In Spartan culture, resourcefulness, courage and indifference to pain were valued above honesty and truth; honesty and truth-seeking had no place in the Spartan ideal.

Different attitudes towards truth can also be seen in different religions; it is often supposed or claimed that religion (usually one's own religion) is a way to truth- and from this same supposition comes the occasional conflict between religion and science. However, not all religions place the same value on truth as such, and most religious people place as much or more value on ethical conduct than they do on the truth of any particular religious beliefs or metaphysical doctrines. A brief look at attitudes towards truth in various religions:

Truth in Buddhism

-The teaching of the Buddha forms the core of Buddhism, which are transmitted in the form of the Four Noble Truths, which are held and were clearly intended to be understood as literally true. But beyond that, Buddhism doesn't prize truth as such. The Buddha is like "a physician who treats a single disease, knows how to treat it, and does not care to know anything else"- Buddhism is concerned with a particular way of life, one in which suffering is annihilated; it values truth insofar as they are necessary to achieve this (the 4 Noble Truths), but beyond that, truth is simply not very useful.

-Thus, a conflict with truth/science in Buddhism is only conceivable on this level; the Buddhist could object, not that science or facts are mistaken, according to the teachings of their religion, but rather that such investigations are superfluous

Truth in Zen Buddhism

-Zen, on the face of it, rejects all truths, including the truths of Buddhism; in many Zen monasteries, the prayer recited first thing in the morning and before every meal says "there is no knowledge, no ignorance, no destruction of ignorance... there are no four truths, viz., there is no pain, no origin of pain, no stoppage of pain, and no path to the stoppage of pain" (DT Suzuki, An Introduction to Zen Buddhism, 50) and is no kinder to other religions:

"The... prayers of St Ignatius (Loyola) are, from the Zen point of view, merely so many fabrications of the imagination elaborately woven for the benefit of the piously minded" (ibid)

and even goes one further and ridicules all propositional truth:

"Empty handed I go, and behold the spade is in my hands;
I walk on foot, and yet on the back of an ox I am riding;
When I pass over the bridge,
Lo, the water floweth not, but the bridge doth flow" (Jenye/Fudaishi)

According to Zen, the beginnings of wisdom start with the recognition of the limitations and futility of propositional truth, including and especially religious dogmas. Truth is rejected, and once again, a way of life is sought.

Truth in Judaism

-The main concern in Judaism is with not truth as such, but with what Christians have usually, though misleadingly, called "The Law". But the Law is more a matter of good form than legislation, a matter of respect for tradition and the established order of things. Judaism, like Buddhism, is primarily concerned with a way of life; the "unique directedness from a historical past into a messianic future, from Mount Sinai to justice for orphan, widow, and stranger and the abolition of war". (Kaufmann,62)

- The key to this way of life, for Judaism, is scripture; but unlike in Christianity, Judaism has never become a dogmatic religion- specific formulations of Scripture have never gained authoritative status, and scripture is viewed as the inexhaustible, multifarious text that it is. For instance, in the field of Haggadah, there is no "right" or "true" interpretation- there are degrees of profundity and poetic beauty, and two conflicting interpretations can both be highly esteemed.

Truth in Christianity, or, Jewish and Christian Faith

-With Christianity and its notion of faith, concern with truth moves to the forefront; distinguishing Jewish faith from Christian faith puts this in stark contrast. The words "faith" and "belief" can mean both faith/belief in (i.e. trust) and faith/belief that (i.e. belief that certain propositions are true). Faith, in Judaism, consists primarily in the former sort- faith as trust; this is the faith of Abraham, the paradigm case, but is also the faith of Job ("Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him" 3:15). But not only of faith, but of intimacy- this is what characterizes the faith of Jonah, or of Moses (as in the 90th Psalm).

-Now, Christian faith, beginning with Paul, consists in trust as well, but also adds faith that to the picture; beginning with Paul, dogma and holding certain propositions to be true becomes more and more crucial. There is also a notable loss of the sense of intimacy- such intimacy with the divine is an exception in Christianity (someone like Eckhart), whereas it was more the rule in Judaism.

-But it is no accident that most people consider the distinguishing mark of a Christian to be holding certain beliefs about the person of Jesus Christ- according to the Gospels, and many subsequent Christian writers, faith as trust is insufficient for salvation, faith that certain dogmas are true is essential. And the very notion of a dogma is problematic; as humans, all of our knowledge and belief are fallible, and a dogma is defined as something which is held true come what may- thus, they must be held as true, even if they turn out not to be true.

-Thus, the concern with truth which is fairly unique to Christianity also leads it to more radical conflict with truth than any other religion- witnessed in the history of conflict between the church and science, and the Christian tendency towards anti-intellectualism.

(for more on Christian theology on truth and anti-intellectualism/fideism, visit my other thread; http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/science-religion/149973-theologians-vs-reason.html)

InvestigateTruth

What about Hinduism, Islam, Zoroastrism and Baha'I Faith? You should also include those.

Also, I think the proper way to look at religions is their scriptures. You seem to think Jesus is Christianity for example. But I suggest you say how New Testament defines truth. How Hebrew scriptures defines it, rather than saying how Christians define truth.

Last edited:

Enai de a lukal

What about Hinduism, Islam, Zoroastrism and Baha'I Faith? You should also include those.

Hey, I only have so much time in my day to write or post to threads on a free forum. I chose three major religions not only because they are widely known and represented, but because these particular faiths (Christianity, Judaism, and Buddhism, including Zen) present striking examples of differing attitudes towards truth. Of course we could be exhaustive here, but many other religions have attitudes towards truth similar to one of the four above religions so this would involve some redundancy, and require time I don't necessarily have.

Of course, other posters are more than free (in fact encouraged) to post material RE other religions' attitudes towards truth qua truth.

Also, I think the proper way to look at religions is their scriptures.

Obviously. But without understanding how that religion views or uses their scripture- contrast the Jewish view of the Law I mention above with the Christian view of the NT- looking at their scriptures tells you very little about that religion. And obviously the attitude and esteem of truth as such plays a crucial role in how a religion views or treats their particular canon.

You seem to think Jesus is Christianity for example.

How so?

But I suggest you say how New Testament defines truth. How Hebrew scriptures defines it, rather than saying how Christians define truth.
I'm not concerned with different definitions of truth, but different attitudes towards truth, conventionally understood (i.e. as "correspondence to fact/reality", "an accurate or correct account", "correct belief", etc.) And even though a few religious writers will try to draw a distinction between religious truth as some distinct variety of truth apart from other sorts, in general you will find that most religions don't so much have a different definition of truth as they do different estimations of its value or concern with it on its own merit. But as above, you can't expect me to cover ever possible avenue you wish to have mentioned in a single thread.
(and you will see that I have linked to my seperate thread which also explores Christian attitudes towards reason and truth)

ZooGirl02

Truth is a very important thing. There is no such thing as relative truth. All truth is universal. If you don't know the truth on something then how do you know how to act? The fact is, knowing the truth is very important for life here on earth. The truth helps us know how to act in relation to one another and it helps us to know what things to support and what things to condemn. As the saying goes, "The truth will set you free."

Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, 'If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'
(John 8:31-32 NRSV-CE)

BruceDLimber

There is no such thing as relative truth. All truth is universal.

So sorry, but according to the Baha'i scriptures, this is not the case! I quote:

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof. Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth."
Gleanings, LXXXI, p. 187

Thus, EVERYTHING in this life is relative, truth included!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Enai de a lukal

So sorry, but according to the Baha'i scriptures, this is not the case! I quote:

"Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof. Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth."
Gleanings, LXXXI, p. 187

Thus, EVERYTHING in this life is relative, truth included!

Peace, :)

Bruce

I'm not sure I see what about this quote implies that truth is relative- in the context the quote is taken from, the topic is the immortality of the soul, and the quote is saying that, after death, when the soul "attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation"- but still be a "contingent existence" as opposed to an "absolute existence", inasmuch as a contingent existence "is preceded by a cause" (i.e. has a cause)- whereas God alone has absolute existence.

In other words, the quote seems to be saying that God alone exists without having been "preceded by a cause"- God does not exist because anything caused him to; not anything about relative truth.

Of the religions I've considered here, the closest one to a definition of truth as "relativism" would be Zen- but even this wrong, because Zen does not hold that truth is relative; that the truth can be different to different people- but rather that all truth is deficient and fails to capture the true nature of reality.

In any case, as I've mentioned a couple of times now, the concern here is not so much with different definitions of truth, but attitudes towards truth- truth as ordinarily conceived. And as I've noted, there isn't a whole lot of agreement as to how truth is defined- most religions, and people generally, don't vary much on how truth is defined. What is more diverse is how we are concerned with it- what our attitude towards or estimation of its value happen to be.

Reconsider the example of the Spartan youth-

Different people, and different cultures, have esteemed truth and honesty differently; not everyone values it in the same way. There is a parable about a Spartan youth who stole a fox and, when he was surprised, hid it under his shirt to escape detection; the fox bit deep into his abdomen and yet the boy gave no sign of pain, and became a hero for dying with such calm self-control. In Spartan culture, resourcefulness, courage and indifference to pain were valued above honesty and truth; honesty and truth-seeking had no place in the Spartan ideal.

The Spartans simply were not concerned with truth as such- as in, prioritizing discovering the truth- but with a state of being, a quality of character. Similarly, some religions are more concerned with pursuing a state of being, or an ethical ideal, or something else, more than they are with discovering and teaching what the truth is.