• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Trump supporters use less cognitively complex language, more simplistic modes of thinking"

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's some not very cognitively complex language yer
using there, toots.
I'm reminded of the problem with so many academics
& others who use convoluted grammar, lengthy prose,
& needlessly arcane words to put on airs. It's not better.
It's just a sign that someone thinks tedious interminable
writing embiggens them. Such people must use words
like "methodology" to replace the more accurate "method".
Why? Longer, & more syllables.

I once took a technical writing course that was an eye
opener. Writing is nothing more than....
- Know who your audience is.
- Convey your message clearly & efficiently to them.

Yeas, but the world is not that simple as some people make it out to be. And that has nothing to do with religion or not.
So sometimes you need more that the universe is everything that exists. That is neither true or false, it is to simple.
There is a difference between reduction to basic terms and over-simplification.

Daemon Sophic

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeas, but the world is not that simple as some people make it out to be.
True dat.
But gussying up one's prose with useless complexity
doesn't itself address the complexity of the real world.

Liberals are always posting research showing they're
better educated, smarter, & generally superior to the
opposition. To them I suggest....
Be it.
Don't claim it.

BTW, I have different advice for conservatives who think
they have The Truth, & are morally superior to us...
Be it.
Don't claim it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yeas, but the world is not that simple as some people make it out to be. And that has nothing to do with religion or not.
So sometimes you need more that the universe is everything that exists. That is neither true or false, it is to simple.
There is a difference between reduction to basic terms and over-simplification.

Unfortunately it is much simpler than people think and I am convinced people make it complicated more or less on purpose....
Of course this is just my personal view.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
True dat.
But gussying up one's prose with useless complexity
doesn't itself address the complexity of the real world.

Liberals are always posting research showing they're
better educated, smarter, & generally superior to the
opposition. To them I suggest....
Be it.
Don't claim it.

BTW, I have different advice for conservatives who think
they have The Truth, & are morally superior to us...
Be it.
Don't claim it.

But you might have done it so simple, because you reduced it down to 2 categories and seem to imply there is a third one, who doesn't do it. So you might have done it yourself.

I try to learn and listen and the joke is that for certain definitions of liberal and conservative I am both.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That post is too cognitively complex for me.
Really? I can't see why it should be. Cognitive complexity has elements that are implicitly related to one’s identity that may become more or less resonant and is based upon one’s personal context, such as ethnicity/race, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, spirituality, socio-economic status, language, immigration history, body shape/image, developmental life stage, education/career history, family or unit values, personal values, and other multi-relational patterns. These factors (and more) may intersect with one another and mutually and reciprocally influence one another depending on context. Consider too, the social justice theoretical perspectives, since a multidimensional approach is related to a growing need to connect human development issues with toxic environmental conditions. Environmental factors such as racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism can delay people’s growth and development and hinder people’s ability to reach their potential. This is especially true for people who have been historically marginalised in society such as people of colour, those in poverty, and individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Helping them to recognise the presence of oppressive and mitigating factors is important because it prevents them from blaming themselves for their plight, in as much that complex cognitive abilities supercede other functions in many political behaviours and are socially expressed in a manner considered retrograde. Simples. Vote democrat.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I guess this is due to the fact that, on average, rightists tend to be much more outspoken than leftists.
Leftists' choice to be politically correct implies a more sophisticated language to express a concept.;)

Of course this is a overgeneralization. I am just guessing.
That's rather simplistic. :D

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Really? I can't see why it should be. Cognitive complexity has elements that are implicitly related to one’s identity that may become more or less resonant based upon one’s context, such as ethnicity/race, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, spirituality, socio-economic status, language, immigration history, body shape/image, developmental life stage, education/career history, family values, personal values, and relational patterns. These factors may intersect with one another and mutually and reciprocally influence one another depending on context. Consider too, the social justice theoretical perspectives, since a multidimensional approach is related to a growing need to connect human development issues with toxic environmental conditions. Environmental factors such as racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism can delay people’s growth and development and hinder people’s ability to reach their potential. This is especially true for people who have been historically marginalised in society such as people of colour, those in poverty, and individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Helping them recognise the presence of oppressive factors is important because it prevents them from blaming themselves for their plight, in as much that complex cognitive abilities supercede other functions in many political behaviours and are socially expressed in a manner considered retrograde. Simples. Vote democrat.

Funny, yet true and even then too simple. :D

RestlessSoul

That's some not very cognitively complex language yer
using there, toots.
I'm reminded of the problem with so many academics
& others who use convoluted grammar, lengthy prose,
& needlessly arcane words to put on airs. It's not better.
It's just a sign that someone thinks tedious interminable
writing embiggens them. Such people must use words
like "methodology" to replace the more accurate "method".
Why? Longer, & more syllables.

I once took a technical writing course that was an eye
opener. Writing is nothing more than....
- Know who your audience is.
- Convey your message clearly & efficiently to them.

Eschew obfuscation!

Call that eschewing obfuscation?

RestlessSoul

Really? I can't see why it should be. Cognitive complexity has elements that are implicitly related to one’s identity that may become more or less resonant and is based upon one’s personal context, such as ethnicity/race, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, spirituality, socio-economic status, language, immigration history, body shape/image, developmental life stage, education/career history, family or unit values, personal values, and other multi-relational patterns. These factors (and more) may intersect with one another and mutually and reciprocally influence one another depending on context. Consider too, the social justice theoretical perspectives, since a multidimensional approach is related to a growing need to connect human development issues with toxic environmental conditions. Environmental factors such as racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism can delay people’s growth and development and hinder people’s ability to reach their potential. This is especially true for people who have been historically marginalised in society such as people of colour, those in poverty, and individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Helping them to recognise the presence of oppressive and mitigating factors is important because it prevents them from blaming themselves for their plight, in as much that complex cognitive abilities supercede other functions in many political behaviours and are socially expressed in a manner considered retrograde. Simples. Vote democrat.

tl,dr

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mmmmff....whuh?
I missed the counterpoint to the surrealism of the underlying metaphor.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Mmmmff....whuh?
I missed the counterpoint to the surrealism of the underlying metaphor.

It is a part of an non-science as not natural science, et intellectual and somewhat objective analysis of how a complex society works. Yet in some traditions it is science. but not just natural science. So how simple do you want to do science?
I mean in my culture there are around 8 variants and not just natural science. But that is to complex to some people.