• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump persuades Carrier to keep 1000 jobs in US

Sultan Of Swing

"At a moment when much of Washington is watching to see how Donald Trump will handle his new job, the president-elect is demonstrating his most famous skill: the art of the deal.

Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence surprised skeptics Tuesday night by persuading United Technologies to keep "close to 1,000" factory jobs at the Carrier manufacturing plant in Indianapolis instead of moving them to Mexico, according to a company tweet. "We are pleased to have reached a deal with President-elect Trump & VP-elect Pence," the company said. "More details soon.""

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...h-carrier-to-keep-some-jobs-in-indiana-231973

Carrier's proposed move to Mexico was something Trump brought up again and again throughout the campaign and promised to stop. Now it looks like he's done it, at least for the most part.

Thoughts?

Even TYT had a moment of honesty where they gave credit to Trump for it.

EDIT: Just noticed there's already a thread on this :sleepy:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Even Obama praised this. We may have our first administration with strong pro-business policies in awhile.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

I don't like TYT for a number of reasons, but I really don't think it's fair to insinuate they're not honest. I can detest them and respect the fact they may be the largest genuine news show left in the United States.

Sultan Of Swing

I don't like TYT for a number of reasons, but I really don't think it's fair to insinuate they're not honest. I can detest them and respect the fact they may be the largest genuine news show left in the United States.
Cenk is about the only guy there who can see past his own bias, even then it's rare. They will jump to things like racism as an explanation for things (like this election) far too quickly, and report anti-Trump news which isn't wholly true, not properly corroborated and biased. They likely have good intentions, but the bias is far too strong to the point where they will misreport facts and insinuate things without sufficient evidence.

I still watch their show though for some unknown reason, maybe because I quite like some of their personalities.

One place where they really shine is after presidential/primary debates, where Cenk will say who won or lost a debate, and they have to get rid of their bias then, and he usually nails it.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
As someone who has seen many layoffs of people around him due to outsourcing overseas, I'm happy to see Trump take a hard stance on this and keep one of his campaign promises before he's even sworn in. Now the question is whether or not this will be just a one time thing for show or a continuous effort. Hoping it's the latter.

Daemon Sophic

Well, in all fairness, you knew that the pointy needle of reality was going to come and pop your euphoric bubble....didn't you?

....and to be clear about "other" presidents who were so feeble.....
https://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/...a-saving-15-million-auto-industry-jobs/214676

Yeah....that darned corporate big money owned and controlled by a few conservative white elitist billionaires "liberal" media.

What are we up to now? Is that 3 or 4 of the new cabinet who are Goldman Sachs executives representing the common working people of America......given (more) power and privilege to "drain the swamp"?
....ho hum..... How's that Hopey Changey thing going for you?

Sultan Of Swing

Well, in all fairness, you knew that the pointy needle of reality was going to come and pop your euphoric bubble....didn't you?

....and to be clear about "other" presidents who were so feeble.....
https://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/...a-saving-15-million-auto-industry-jobs/214676

Yeah....that darned corporate big money owned and controlled by a few conservative white elitist billionaires "liberal" media.

What are we up to now? Is that 3 or 4 of the new cabinet who are Goldman Sachs executives representing the common working people of America......given (more) power and privilege to "drain the swamp"?
....ho hum..... How's that Hopey Changey thing going for you?
The Carrier deal isn't about tax breaks even if that may be a part of it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/indiana-carrier-deal-federal-contracts-trump-232021

Indiana already tried offering tax incentives to Carrier but were unsuccessful. Indiana official says it would have been Trump's threat to remove federal contracts that did it.

Milton Platt

"At a moment when much of Washington is watching to see how Donald Trump will handle his new job, the president-elect is demonstrating his most famous skill: the art of the deal.

Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence surprised skeptics Tuesday night by persuading United Technologies to keep "close to 1,000" factory jobs at the Carrier manufacturing plant in Indianapolis instead of moving them to Mexico, according to a company tweet. "We are pleased to have reached a deal with President-elect Trump & VP-elect Pence," the company said. "More details soon.""

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...h-carrier-to-keep-some-jobs-in-indiana-231973

Carrier's proposed move to Mexico was something Trump brought up again and again throughout the campaign and promised to stop. Now it looks like he's done it, at least for the most part.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just noticed there's already a thread on this :sleepy:

As long as the company can stay profitable enough to satisfy the shareholders, that's great. But the company has in the neighborhood of 45,000 employees, and this was probably simply good publicity for them. If the decision does not pay off economically for them, they will move later anyway.