• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump, forgiveness, and Presbyterianism

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe I am sure that happens.

I believe there is a legitimate excuse for not believing everything a politician says.

I believe I don't know what a CINO is but Christians in general do not always follow form on everything in the Bible. It is one thing for him to know something about the Bible and Chrisitianity but that does not mean he is born again and Presbyterians IMO are not usually in that category. I believe one may only expect fruit from a born again Christian and maybe the pickings are slim for the others.

I believe I trust him to be Trump.
So, if one doesn't say "I'm a born-again Christian", then they ain't a real Christian? Sorta like magic words? The Christian scriptures say that you "shall know them by their fruits", but you have another litmus test instead?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
And what exactly does that prove?
Shows he's a good dad. Corroborated by reports from his other children as a loving father. I'm not going to try to take that away from him. All good dads should get credit.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
So, if one doesn't say "I'm a born-again Christian", then they ain't a real Christian? Sorta like magic words? The Christian scriptures say that you "shall know them by their fruits", but you have another litmus test instead?
Born again Christian is redundant. We are born again, but we don't go around saying we're born again Christians, that's a given. It's used more as a term to refer to evangelicals and such.

metis

Shows he's a good dad. Corroborated by reports from his other children as a loving father. I'm not going to try to take that away from him. All good dads should get credit.
But people can be very selective with whom they are nice. What we have repeatedly heard from him are racist and religiously bigoted comments, along with a complete willingness to slam people.

Last edited:

metis

Born again Christian is redundant. We are born again, but we don't go around saying we're born again Christians, that's a given. It's used more as a term to refer to evangelicals and such.
So only "evangelicals" are true believers?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
But people can be very selective with whom they are nice. What we have repeatedly heard from him are racist and religiously bigoted comments, along with a complete willingness to slam people.
Yet he is not consistent. He complimented the two black women who supported him at his veterans event. He also has muslim friends. Racists and bigots are consistent. He slams who it suits him to slam at the time.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
So only "evangelicals" are true believers?
I would never agree with that idea as I am not an evangelical by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying that the people who refer to themselves as "born again Christians", are usually evangelicals and such.

metis

Yet he is not consistent. He complimented the two black women who supported him at his veterans event. He also has muslim friends. Racists and bigots are consistent. He slams who it suits him to slam at the time.
I know some racists and bigots, and I hate to say that some of my relatives and friends are very outspoken ones. However, if you don't know them that well, you wouldn't know that because most racists and bigots in my experience don't broadcast it for everyone to see and hear. One of my close relatives was spoken quite kindly of by a black man that we both knew, and yet I couldn't tell this man that my relative was actually very anti-black racist.

So, where does this leave me vis-a-vis Trump? Glad you asked. I don't know it Trump is a racist or even a religious bigot or whether he's just pandering to the right-wing element in the Republican Party. However, either way, what he has said is deplorable and, fortunately, many Republican leaders have publicly stated that it is deplorable.

metis

I would never agree with that idea as I am not an evangelical by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying that the people who refer to themselves as "born again Christians", are usually evangelicals and such.
I'm sorry that I misinterpreted what your position was on this, so thanks for clarifying this.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I know some racists and bigots, and I hate to say that some of my relatives and friends are very outspoken ones. However, if you don't know them that well, you wouldn't know that because most racists and bigots in my experience don't broadcast it for everyone to see and hear. One of my close relatives was spoken quite kindly of by a black man that we both knew, and yet I couldn't tell this man that my relative was actually very anti-black racist.

So, where does this leave me vis-a-vis Trump? Glad you asked. I don't know it Trump is a racist or even a religious bigot or whether he's just pandering to the right-wing element in the Republican Party. However, either way, what he has said is deplorable and, fortunately, many Republican leaders have publicly stated that it is deplorable.
Agreed, deplorable. But unfortunately, their denouncing of him may do little Good. If he becomes president, I think we'll find out fully what's on his mind.

Last edited:

metis

Agreed, deplorable. But unfortunately, their denouncing him may do little Good. If he becomes president, I think we'll find out fully what's on his mind.
Actually, I have wondered over the last couple of weeks if the attack on Trump from Hillary and Bernie was calculated whereas the Pubs would then rally around him and eventually nominate him. I think the Dems are less fearful of him than of Rubio winning in Novermber.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Actually, I have wondered over the last couple of weeks if the attack on Trump from Hillary and Bernie was calculated whereas the Pubs would then rally around him and eventually nominate him. I think the Dems are less fearful of him than of Rubio winning in Novermber.
They shouldn't be. They will have to use every advantage they have to defeat him and get all the hispanic and black voters they can. I see Trump as dangerous and unstable, and brilliant.

metis

They shouldn't be. They will have to use every advantage they have to defeat him and get all the hispanic and black voters they can. I see Trump as dangerous and unstable, and brilliant.
Actually, we are already seeing a shift take place with Hillary and Bernie attacking Trump more and more. But I hope they don't do what Rubio tried, namely to try and out-Trump Trump by saying the same kind of bigoted and sarcastic statements that Trump has become known for.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Actually, we are already seeing a shift take place with Hillary and Bernie attacking Trump more and more. But I hope they don't do what Rubio tried, namely to try and out-Trump Trump by saying the same kind of bigoted and sarcastic statements that Trump has become known for.
Trump has maneuvered (whether deliberately or not) victim after victim, catching them off guard and getting them to try to respond to him in kind (E g. - Hilary calling him a sexist and the Mexican President dropping the F-bomb). He gets them out of their element, and since he's already a master at this, he makes them look like the guilty party and eats them alive for their inappropriate comment. The opponents needs to draw on their own strengths until they know how to combat Trump's speech style and strategies.

Trump's greatest speech strengths as I've seen (and I did public speaking for six years) are simple powerful emotional statements (Let's call for a ban on muslims until our government can figure out what the H... is going on!), endless repetition (it's a disaster), and labels that stick (He's low energy). The book Made to Stick, describes most of his strategies really well.

Last edited:

metis

Trump has maneuvered (whether deliberately or not) victim after victim, catching them off guard and getting them to try to respond to him in kind (E g. - Hilary calling him a sexist and the Mexican President dropping the F-bomb). He gets them out of their element, and since he's already a master at this, he makes them look like the guilty party and eats them alive for their inappropriate comment. The opponents needs to draw on their own strengths until they know how to combat Trump's speech style and strategies.

Trump's greatest speech strengths as I've seen (and I did public speaking for six years) are simple powerful emotional statements (Let's call for a ban on muslims until our government can figure out what the H... is going on!), endless repetition (it's a disaster), and labels that stick (He's low energy). The book Made to Stick, describes most of his strategies really well.
Yep, but the Donald is gonna have to be careful if he goes after Hillary because bullying against women by a man doesn't go over as well as with bullying against men.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Yep, but the Donald is gonna have to be careful if he goes after Hillary because bullying against women by a man doesn't go over as well as with bullying against men.
He's already done that with Hillary and come out unscathed. All he has to do is get her to hit back, and he'll turn it on her. With this technique, he can bully her all he wants.