• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

travel to Canada

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
We might be having a family holiday next year

I fancy Canada, I have never been out of Europe and Canada seems a nice destination

When I was at university there was a Canadian exchange student who came into our kitchen naked and showed us all his penis

I've heard that it has some interesting cities and I know that it has some very beautiful wildernesses, and I've never been to a wilderness before!

What would be the best place to go to in Canada?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I can safely assure you that walking into your kitchen naked is not common practice here.
That's good to hear!

But which Canadian city do you think would be best for foreign tourists?

I don't know whether or not this would be a factor but none of us speak any French

libre

Skylark
That's good to hear!

I don't know whether or not this would be a factor but none of us speak any French
I would say Montreal is my favourite city to visit as a Tourist. Lots of live music, restaurants, shopping, events. The architecture is distinct and the subway makes for easy travel.

I have visited Montreal previously with the goal of improving my French, most of the time when anyone hears my accent there, they will immediately switch to English for their own convenience and cannot be bothered to try to make out my French. It's probably one of the best cities in Quebec for English speakers.

If you would prefer visiting a city that was predominantly English, Toronto and Vancouver would be the obvious dominant tourist destinations.

Is there anything particular you wanted to do or see while you were in Canada? I may be able to provide a more tailored suggestion.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
That's good to hear!

Only place in Canada you need to worry about French is Quebec province. Only major cities there are Montreal and Quebec city. Montreal there is a lot of English, Quebec city I have heard they lean more towards French. The rest of Canada is English.

Toronto is rather nice. Vancouver has MAJOR homeless problem as well as a drug problem. I was in Vancouver a few months back, I have no plans to ever go back there. Been to Toronto, would like to go back. Have a house in Montreal, which is my wife's favorite city, but Toronto is mine.

And most of Canada is wilderness

But take it for what it is worth, I do not live in Canada full time, own property there, but only visit

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's good to hear!

Lack of French isn't a barrier in Montreal or Quebec City.

There are plenty of touristy things to do in Toronto.

Just beware that Canada's inter-city rail system (VIA Rail) is generally way slower and less frequent than anything in Europe, so check schedules before deciding an itinerary that involves train-hopping from city to city.

Daemon Sophic

Vancouver, British Columbia (west coast) would have my vote. It is surrounded on two sides by snowcapped mountains and the ocean on another. Also, Quebec and Montreal are too much like Europe for somebody coming from Europe.
You could drive the “Sea to Sky” road to Whistler Park (as long as you have no problem with car sickness … it is a very long and winding road).

Last edited:

libre

Skylark
Vancouver has MAJOR homeless problem as well as a drug problem. I was in Vancouver a few months back, I have no plans to ever go back there. Been to Toronto, would like to go back.
I haven't been there as of late, but I do have a nagging skepticism about this.
I was under the impression that Toronto had the largest homeless population in Canada.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I haven't been there as of late, but I do have a nagging skepticism about this.
I was under the impression that Toronto had the largest homeless population in Canada.
I believe Vancouver has that distinction, but just yesterday, talking to a few folks from Toronto, Sadly it appears that Toronto is not far behind. I was planning on posting that today. This just gave me the opportunity.

But Montreal does not have this issue, not sure about Quebec, but I tend to doubt it, The French Province tends to do things the way it wants

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
We might be having a family holiday next year

I fancy Canada, I have never been out of Europe and Canada seems a nice destination

When I was at university there was a Canadian exchange student who came into our kitchen naked and showed us all his penis
Well, that's seems reason enough! :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would say Montreal is my favourite city to visit as a Tourist. Lots of live music, restaurants, shopping, events. The architecture is distinct and the subway makes for easy travel.

I have visited Montreal previously with the goal of improving my French, most of the time when anyone hears my accent there, they will immediately switch to English for their own convenience and cannot be bothered to try to make out my French. It's probably one of the best cities in Quebec for English speakers.

If you would prefer visiting a city that was predominantly English, Toronto and Vancouver would be the obvious dominant tourist destinations.

Is there anything particular you wanted to do or see while you were in Canada? I may be able to provide a more tailored suggestion.
Quebec is amazing ... except for the fact that L'Atre (on the Ile d'Orleans) closed some time ago.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I nearly spat my coffee on my keyboard reading your post.

I can safely assure you that walking into your kitchen naked is not common practice here.
Except in designated restaurants. Close to Highway 6 on the way to Cambridge.

libre

Skylark
When my mom came over from Belfast she moved into Toronto and met my father.
It has it's charms indeed, but the city has changed a lot in 20 years. My folks are shocked to visit, now that they have moved on.

Only the second best subway in Canada, but that's ok. :)