• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Translations

gnomon

I thought a thread on this was already here but apparently I'm mistaken. I used to have a translation of Lao Tzu but I gave it to a friend long ago who is now...I don't know where. I'm looking for another copy but wish to find a decent translation. If anyone can provide some good information it would be much appreciated.

The previous copy I had was translated by Stephen Mitchell, I think. Been a long time.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The best translation I've found is Man-Ho Kwok, Martin Palmer and Jay Ramsay version of the Tao Te Ching. It gives an introduction on the history of it in the beginning and uses easy to understand language. :) They had a small team of translators work on translating it, so I have a fair bit of faith in it.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
The Man-Ho Kwok/Martin Palmer/Jay Ramsay translation is my favourite overall translation as well. In my opinion its advisable to get several translations then compare and contrast, though this might be overdoing it a little :)

Many online versions are available, sometimes on the same website, if you Google around.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Scarlett Wampus;

As I notice that this is your first time on here, I thought I would take the opportunity to Welcome you to Religious Forums;

I hope that you would feel able to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum, by posting on:- Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

I hope you will enjoy being a member here.http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21 ;)

munchkin

hi,

it is adviseable to search for the translation that best speaks to your true/inner self.

for me it is a cross between, Dr J Wu and Derek Lins,
Dr Wu's can be found online here.
Tao Te ching, Dr Wu

Derek Lin's can be found here
Tao Te Ching, Derek Lin

i find Dereks is good for the start of the path/way of tao, as it gives nice interpretaions and analysis of the text (due to the site beginging to be used for temple studies)

Dr Wu's is one i find speaks best o my inner being.

so i tend to combine the Two. :)

basically lots of research and reading to find the one(s) that best speak to your inner self :)

love and peace
becca :)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Wow thanks Munchie :p

I'd never read either of these, guess I know what I'm doing with the rest of my 8 hour graveyard. Beats device monitoring anyway.

gnostic

The Lost One
I am interested in creation myth from various civilisations, cultures and religions. I am wondering if Taoism would have their own Creation myth, and where would I find it.

Are there any good translation on this particular subject?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
gnostic said:
I am interested in creation myth from various civilisations, cultures and religions. I am wondering if Taoism would have their own Creation myth, and where would I find it.

Negatory. No myths I've read. Chinese culture might.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
As far as I know, ChrisP is right. Chapter 4 of the Tao Te Ching says 'I do not know who created it [the Tao]/It is older than God.' You can't create something that's always been around. ;)

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
gnostic said:

There is a book called 'Chinese Myths' by Anne Birrell. It gives accounts of many creation myths and they are absolutely fascinating. Have a look there.

As people have already mentioned the Tao doesn't have an origin as such, its just the mother of all creation! Lao Tzu barely mentions anything that could be deemed a creation myth but Chuang Tzu has one in the strange Hun Tun myth. If you looked into the Taoist/Chinese metaphysical cosmology connected with the I Ching you would find some info that could be regarded as creation myth, but its kinda technical and I think it'd be only be worth it if you have a thing about Chinese culture & history and/or were already interested in the I Ching, Taoist internal alchemy, Feng Shui, etc.

gnostic

The Lost One
Drat! I was hoping to find something in Taoism. Thank you, ChrisP, Jensa and Scarlett Wampus.

But perhaps, it is not all at loss. I am interested in cosmology too. So I guess I will look up the I Ching.

Is there a good English translation of I Ching that you can recommend?

I am not familiar with Hun Tun myth. Is that within I Ching?

Sorry, but I am an novice in Taoism, so I don't have much of any knowledge in this area. But if someone can direct me to good translation, I would be most grateful.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
You're welcome gnostic. The Greek concept of non-Christian Gnosis is not so far from Tao.

The I Ching is definitely a Cosmological playground. I'm just starting out there myself (see thread in this forum.)