• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Translations of the Bible

Evee

Hi,
Quick questions from a non-Christian to any Christians who feel like answering.
What translation of the Bible do you use? Are all translations seen as equally valid? Are there any translations that aren't considered valid or correct? (If so, which ones?) What about passages that quote G-d directly? How do they get translated? What translation is used in your place of worship?
Thanks!
EV

ayani

Evee ~

there are lots of translations one can use, and i'd say the biggest distinction between them is how literally or how freely the original text is translated.

some Bible translations are essentially paraphrases of the meanings of the original text into contemporary American English. others are more word-for-word. the KJV has the general reputation of being very literal, and also being rendered in an Elizabethan English that some find very beautiful, and others find difficult to read. the KJV is the one with all the "thees" and "thous" and "dosts".

i really like the NKJV (New King James Version), which is essentially the KJV rendered into a slightly more modern English. all that really has changes is "thine" becomes "yours" and certain archic words have been replaced with more modern ones. the original syntax of the KJV is preserved, giving the NKJV a still slightly archaic feel, which i like.

i also really like the NIV. i find it easy to read, and enjoyable. it's a less literal translation, and the English is more modern. it was put together in the 1960's by a team of Protestant Christian leaders and Bible scholars. the NIV uses older Greek manuscripts when translating the New Testament. the KJV relied on the Textus Receptus to render the NT into English, a 16th Century Greek NT textual collection.

some Christians prefer one translation to another, and some go as far as to say that only certain versions should be read, or held as authorotative. in passages where God is understood to be talking, the text may be headed with a bold heading such as The Lord's Reply. these headings would be found elsewhere in the translated Bible, and are not parts of the original Hebrew or Greek or Aramiac text, but are inserted as a way to keep topics and sections of the narrative clear.

my church is a Baptist church, where only the KJV is officially used and read from. many of us bring our own Bibles to the services so we can read along with whatever text the pastor or speaker is quoting, and a few congregation members bring their NKJVs or NIVs to church with them, too.

keithnurse

I use the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). It is the version used in the Revised Common Lectionary which is the lectionary used by most major Protestant churches that use a lectionary. The Roman Catholic lectionary in the US uses the New American Bible which is not to be confused with the New American Standard Bible. The NRSV, King James Version and others are "formal equivalence" or "word for word" translations. Others like "The Message" "The New Living Translation" "Todays English Version" are "dynamic equivalence" or paraphrases of the original Greek and Hebrew. Dynamic equivalence versions seem to be more readable and folksy but also reflect more of the biases of the people doing the translating.

brittanyalmberg

The bible I use most often is the New Living Translation. I didn't buy it for that reason, but because it was a Life Application Study Bible, which has thousands of notes on passages, translation, background, culture, history, context, as well as introductions to each book, profiles of key people, cross-references, etc.

I also own an NIV Bible, a KJV, and a copy called The Book. Each has notes or "extras" that make it interesting, and I've tried to copy many notes from one into my NLT version, because switching between multiple Bibles is difficult.

I personally don't think any one version is any better or worse than any other. I read one that I find easier to understand, but there are many verses I prefer in another translation.

kingcores

Here are four translations I trust:
The Authorized Version, AKA the King James
The New King James Version
The New American Standard Bible.
The English Standard Version.

There may be other good English translations besides that. I trust them because they were done literally. Also, I'm pretty sure there are good translations in a number of other languages.

Here are some translations I do not trust:
The Living Bible.
The New Living Translation.
The Message.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
the KJV has the general reputation of being very literal, and also being rendered in an Elizabethan English that some find very beautiful
That would be me ;)

I use the KJV because I love its language... and I like the more literal stance it takes on translation...

Because I believe in the power of the Name of God, whether it be Yahweh or Jehovah (YHWH) the translations that I like are according to that style. I really like the American Standard Version, (ASV) for that reason, because it uses archaic English style and renders the Tetragrammaton as Jehovah.

I then like the New Jerusalem Bible, because it is so poetic in its rendition, and it transcribes the Name of God as Yahweh.

And then, for the sake of modernity and accuracy (with some peculiarities) of translation, I use the New World Translation (NWT) of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

From Psalm 40:11:

"Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Jehovah;
Let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. "
American Standard Version (ASV)

"You, Yahweh, have not withheld your tenderness from me;
your faithful and steadfast love will always guard me."
New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)

"You yourself, O Jehovah, do not restrain your pity from me.
Let your loving-kindness and your trueness themselves constantly safeguard me. "
New World Translation (NWT)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
My NT prof says, "If you're not reading the Bible in Hebrew and Greek, you're not reading the Bible. You're reading a translation."

keithnurse

My NT prof says, "If you're not reading the Bible in Hebrew and Greek, you're not reading the Bible. You're reading a translation."
Many people don't have the time or inclination to learn to read Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew, so they just have to make due with Bibles in their native language.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Many people don't have the time or inclination to learn to read Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew, so they just have to make due with Bibles in their native language.
Absolutely! I agree. In that case, the purpose of your reading determines which version is "best."

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I use many translations. I lean toward the "optimal equivalence" philosophy, trying to achieve that elusive perfect balance between faithfulness to the original wording and the original thoughts, and rendering them in readable, and hopefully aesthetically pleasing, modern English.

My favorites:

• ESV (English Standard Version)
  • HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
  • NRSV (New Revised Standard Version)
  • TNIV (Today's New International Version)
In practice I use the ESV the most, and the main reason for that is the editions available. I'm especially fond of the ESV Study Bible, which I consider the best general purpose study bible. I also like the premium leather editions by Cambridge and R.L. Allan. I recently acquired a Cambridge ESV Pitt Minion in brown goatskin, and I'm in love with it. I'm planning to purchase an Allan ESV1 later this year.

groovyable

My Favorites,

New World Translation published by Jehovah Witnesses
King James Version

What ever you do please don't read the street Bible eehhh :(

RomCat

All translations of the Bible approved by the Catholic Church
are valid. There are several of these.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I use a regular old King James and a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. Am saving up for a Companion Bible though so I won't have to lug around 2 massive books.

SilvaMo0n

I bite!
I use the New King James Version (NKJV). It's easier to read and understand; I don't think there any thou's, thee's, etc. in the text.