• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torah Preservation

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You forget, I was never a young rabbi. I did not enter the rabbinate until I was at an age when many rabbis are considering retirement, if they have not already retired.
Practically a modern-day Rabbi Akiva :)...

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Just to note. There are a number of writings that the Rambam wrote in Judeo-Arabic. Rabbi Yoseph Qafahh in his editions of the Rambam's works make it clear that there are a translations into Hebrew that were made in the past by people who were not as fluent in the Arabic of the Rambam's time. Thus, there are some who tried to translate word for word without translating the concept correctly.

One of those areas that he notes is with the Arabic (אעתקאד) which many prior translations translate as (אמונה) "faith" or "trust in something that has been established" actually should really be translated as (ידיעה) "knowledge" or "awareness", Also, the original wording that the Rambam used was a lot longer than what most quote as "13 principles of faith." So, essentially the Rambam was writing about principels of the foundation of the Torah and not principles of faith.
Not sure about your point here, but as long as you mention Rambam you are welcome here !!

Ehav4Ever

Not sure about your point here, but as long as you mention Rambam you are welcome here !!

Greetings. The point I am making is concerning the discussion earlier about the following points.

Quotes from earlier discussions
"You should tell that to the Rambam who has articles of faith that one is required to adopt without having to be proven."

"No, the Rambam gives torah sources for each of the principles of faith"

"faith is often irrational. The Rambam's source for the Torah's being divine is the Torah. Or are you going to tell me that the Rambam is such a rationalist that he doesn't believe in belief?"

End of Quoted points:

What I am saying is that the Rambam did not make these kinds of statements about faith and beleif. The mesorah that Am Yisrael has and how it was acquired at Mount Sinai is what the Rambam states makes the 13 foundations of the Torah what they are, not the text of the Torah. (See Mishnah Torah - Hilchoth Yesodoth HaTorah chapter 8)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Greetings. The point I am making is concerning the discussion earlier about the following points.

Quotes from earlier discussions
"You should tell that to the Rambam who has articles of faith that one is required to adopt without having to be proven."

"No, the Rambam gives torah sources for each of the principles of faith"

"faith is often irrational. The Rambam's source for the Torah's being divine is the Torah. Or are you going to tell me that the Rambam is such a rationalist that he doesn't believe in belief?"

End of Quoted points:

What I am saying is that the Rambam did not make these kinds of statements about faith and beleif. The mesorah that Am Yisrael has and how it was acquired at Mount Sinai is what the Rambam states makes the 13 foundations of the Torah what they are, not the text of the Torah. (See Mishnah Torah - Hilchoth Yesodoth HaTorah chapter 8)
Is faith similar to love ?