• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torah Preservation

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You forget, I was never a young rabbi. I did not enter the rabbinate until I was at an age when many rabbis are considering retirement, if they have not already retired.
I never knew this. It sounds like a facet of an inspiring memoir.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
If you want to hang your hat on the scientific explanation, then feel free. The Torah, its authority and its authorship are functions of faith. Not everyone subscribes to your point of view. Did you read the Rambam's 13 Ikkarim?
How can Torah, authority and authorship be functions of faith ? Does that mean when Newton sat under the apple tree when the apple fell, if he did not believe in gravity, it would have fallen upward ? R. Rosen, are you living in a computer simulation?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
If you want to hang your hat on the scientific explanation, then feel free. The Torah, its authority and its authorship are functions of faith. Not everyone subscribes to your point of view. Did you read the Rambam's 13 Ikkarim?
Lets try :

The Thirteen Principles of Jewish Faith

First note, Rambam uses a dash !

Second, nowhere does he say, “lets make it up
as we go along”.

Rambam was a hardcore rationalist. Not a word of superstition!! He was good people!!

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
You forget, I was never a young rabbi. I did not enter the rabbinate until I was at an age when many rabbis are considering retirement, if they have not already retired.
Yes, thanks for reminding us, It’s why your such a zeisen Rabbi !!

rosends

How can Torah, authority and authorship be functions of faith ? Does that mean when Newton sat under the apple tree when the apple fell, if he did not believe in gravity, it would have fallen upward ? R. Rosen, are you living in a computer simulation?
They are functions of our belief not in that that makes it so, but in that they are theological positions that we subscribe to and others don't. Your not believing in the divine authorship of the text doesn't make it not divine. Your position is a function of your belief.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
They are functions of our belief not in that that makes it so, but in that they are theological positions that we subscribe to and others don't. Your not believing in the divine authorship of the text doesn't make it not divine. Your position is a function of your belief.
But what if your belief system is illogical? Shouldn’t @ Big R correct your thinking ?

rosends

But what if your belief system is illogical? Shouldn’t @ Big R correct your thinking ?
faith is often irrational. The Rambam's source for the Torah's being divine is the Torah. Or are you going to tell me that the Rambam is such a rationalist that he doesn't believe in belief? Or maybe, since the Rambam advocates for a divine-authorship position and he is a rationalist, to believe otherwise is irrational?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
faith is often irrational. The Rambam's source for the Torah's being divine is the Torah. Or are you going to tell me that the Rambam is such a rationalist that he doesn't believe in belief? Or maybe, since the Rambam advocates for a divine-authorship position and he is a rationalist, to believe otherwise is irrational?
If faith is irrational it is likely that what you have faith in is not correct. You may want to examine the validity of your faith.

rosends

If faith is irrational it is likely that what you have faith in is not correct. You may want to examine the validity of your faith.
You should tell that to the Rambam who has articles of faith that one is required to adopt without having to be proven. Or maybe to every other observant Jew who has (for example) eaten only kosher food for the last few thousand years.

Maybe you would prefer the term "a-rational" (as defined here):
"I use ‘a-rational’ rather than ‘irrational’ in order to indicate that for this approach, the transcendence of rationality required for faith is not something negative, but rather sublime and heroic."

You may want to examine your flippant dismissal of a divine authorship. The, um "Big R" would not be happy with you.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
You should tell that to the Rambam who has articles of faith that one is required to adopt without having to be proven. Or maybe to every other observant Jew who has (for example) eaten only kosher food for the last few thousand years.

"I use ‘a-rational’ rather than ‘irrational’ in order to indicate that for this approach, the transcendence of rationality required for faith is not something negative, but rather sublime and heroic."

You may want to examine your flippant dismissal of a divine authorship. The, um "Big R" would not be happy with you.
I believe in divine creation. However, non-anthropomorphic G-ds don’t write books !

Furthermore, big R agrees with Reform views eventhough he is Conservadox.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I believe in divine creation. However, non-anthropomorphic G-ds don’t write books !

Furthermore, big R agrees with Reform views eventhough he is Conservadox.
Here’s the thing. You need to learn when to take off the clown suit.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
That's an interesting and, I think, valuable perspective. Thanks.

Ehav4Ever

If I can add a note here. The Rambam didn't call them principles of "Faith." Translated in Hebrew, what he wrote was:

וממה שראוי שאזכיר כאן וזהו המקום היותר ראוי להזכירם בו, שעיקרי תורתינו הטהורה ויסודותיה שלש עשרה יסודות

In fact, in other places where modern translations of the Rambam - he actually used the Arabic word which means "to know" not "to beleive."

Ehav4Ever

Lets try :

The Thirteen Principles of Jewish Faith

First note, Rambam uses a dash !

Second, nowhere does he say, “lets make it up
as we go along”.

Rambam was a hardcore rationalist. Not a word of superstition!! He was good people!!

Just to note. There are a number of writings that the Rambam wrote in Judeo-Arabic. Rabbi Yoseph Qafahh in his editions of the Rambam's works make it clear that there are a translations into Hebrew that were made in the past by people who were not as fluent in the Arabic of the Rambam's time. Thus, there are some who tried to translate word for word without translating the concept correctly.

One of those areas that he notes is with the Arabic (אעתקאד) which many prior translations translate as (אמונה) "faith" or "trust in something that has been established" actually should really be translated as (ידיעה) "knowledge" or "awareness", Also, the original wording that the Rambam used was a lot longer than what most quote as "13 principles of faith." So, essentially the Rambam was writing about principels of the foundation of the Torah and not principles of faith.