• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Topless March Promotion of Homosexual Rights Agenda?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
A local conservative activist is suggesting a topless march in Famington, Maine is an extension of a local University's homosexual rights agenda:

Christian advocate Michael Heath says there’s an “obvious” connection between the planned Topless March for Gender Equity in Farmington this Friday and advancing “the agenda of the homosexual rights movement.”
Heath seeks to make connection between topless march and the gay rights movement | Franklin | Sun Journal

The march appears to be meant to educate folks that it is not illegal for women to go topless in Maine, and that it is unfair that men are allowed to:

Simoneau also said that while she personally does support gay rights, that's not what the topless march is about.

"It has to do with women's rights and equality rights," Simoneau said Tuesday. It's about "not barring women from going shirtless on a hot day when that right is extended to men already."
Topless march outrages some | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

It's interesting to me that the connection is being made primarily through the sexual association with bare breasts. Especially since it seems that bare breasts are a problem mostly because it is believed that straight men should not view bare breasts publicly. Where is the connection? According to Heath, it's about religion:

Kennebec Journal Article said:
"We see an organic connection between the two," Heath said. "Many still confuse sexual license, and indifference to the gospel of Jesus Christ, with true freedom and liberty."

So the main question: is showing bare breasts in public a sexual act? And, does it support homosexual rights?

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Personally I hate the fact that any of us have to wear clothes at all. If these items were never covered up they wouldn't be so taboo. Many civilizations have been known to let it all hang out. My only worry is how it would be explained to our children that are not used to that type of thing.

I'd imagine it would be the same phenomenon with a bit of shoulder peek shown in public in Saudi Arabia. Boobs are only hot because they are taboo. In many African and south American tribes females being topless is the norm, and people attending nudism retreats somehow don't walk around sporting tent poles all day.

In short, no I don't think nudity and sexuality are related by necessity, however taboos put in place by society create a relationship between the two.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
*gasp* Oh my god! Boobs in public! That's totally inappropriate! Now if you were to show pictures of mangled, mutilated human bodies as a result of war or serial killings in public, then that would be okay.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The purpose of the march is ambiguous. Is it about "equality rights," ie: women being allowed to go shirtless on a hot day just as men are, or is it about homosexual rights? -- in which case I don't see the connection.
Th further confuse the issue it's mentioned that it's already legal for women to doff their tops in Maine.
So what's this brouhaha all about, really?

Smoke

Done here.
In general, people who are offended by human sexuality are also offended by the human body. That doesn't mean that everybody who offends them has the same viewpoint or the same goals.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The purpose of the march is ambiguous. Is it about "equality rights," ie: women being allowed to go shirtless on a hot day just as men are, or is it about homosexual rights? -- in which case I don't see the connection.
Th further confuse the issue it's mentioned that it's already legal for women to doff their tops in Maine.
So what's this brouhaha all about, really?

The point appears to be educating the public that it's not illegal and making a point of equality. The homosexual rights connection appears to be a bad attempt to connect this to a religious sense of sexual deviancy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's interesting to me that the connection is being made primarily through the sexual association with bare breasts. Especially since it seems that bare breasts are a problem mostly because it is believed that straight men should not view bare breasts publicly. Where is the connection?

So the main question: is showing bare breasts in public a sexual act? And, does it support homosexual rights?

I don't believe there is much innate connnection between nudity and sexuality. To associate the two is a cultural thing.

dust1n

Zindīq
So the main question: is showing bare breasts in public a sexual act?

Depends on the context. In this context no, it will be an act of perceived liberation.

And, does it support homosexual rights?

I suppose it supports sexual liberation to a certain degree and in that fashion supports homosexual rights, unless the same sexual liberation is against homosexuality, but this does appears to be an act of sexual liberation in 'support' of homosexuality.

dust1n

Zindīq
No. Although American attitudes have made it seem so. Yes, I have frequented a few nude and topless beaches. The scenery is nice, but a skimpy Brazilian thong with a barely there top is more enticing than going nude.

Me thinks that if a woman is topless at a nude beach minding her own business and the male becomes aroused, the woman has not committed a sexual act.