• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten things about America that make no sense to anyone else.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was getting bored with the video about halfway through. I'm sure every country has weird quirky things about it which make no sense to outsiders. If they'd look at America just like any other country, then it probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Too many people outside the US seem to have this unhealthy obsession with America, and that, just by itself, is rather strange and makes no sense. Why should so many people be concerned about little old us?

Brits, especially. What's their deal? I can perfectly understand when countries like China, Mexico, or some other victim of American imperialism might hold a grudge against us, but it always seems to be Brits (or sometimes Aussies or Canadians) who are the loudest and most strident in their criticisms of America. Why is that?
Here's a good "nutshell" summary from the German band Rammstein:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think the travelling outside one is a bit misleading. Its much easier for Europeans than Americans. Someone in Germany could travel a couple of hundred miles and and be in Netherlands, Belgium, France, Poland etc. I could travel for more than 700 miles and still be in my state. Also the reasons why Europeans travel abroad can be accomplished inside US. Many Northern Europeans go to Spain, Italy, Greece for the warm weather and beaches. We could just travel to California, Florida or Hawaii to do that. The same applies to all types of nature and weather. Also the European countries are very different from each other which makes travelling there much more interesting. A German would find France, Poland, Czech Republic all very different from his country, each with its own language, history, religion, cuisine, traditions etc. We Americans only have Canada and Mexico. Travelling to Canada to explore new culture is pointless(no offense to Canadians) as Canada and US are really not that different. Americans could go to Mexico and you would find that many Americans from states near Mexico do indeed travel to Mexico.
I thought it was weird too. I live in Indiana, so I can go to Florida and have beaches. I can go to Colorado or the Dakotas and enjoy mountains and forests. I can also go to LA and feel like I'm in a completely different world with how big it is, how many different things there are, and see what a "tossed salad" culture looks like rather than the melting pot it is here. I can't help but wonder if those who think it's odd most Americans never leave the country don't realize how geographically and demographically diverse America really is, and while it may not be the same extent as going from England to Czechoslovakia, France, or Sweden, as big and diverse as America is we have lots of things to do and see here.
And, not too mention, we don't get vacation time like the rest of the "developed/modern" world does.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yeah, the U.S. is pretty weird. The JW movement was founded here after all. :D

Perhaps it was that "difference" that led to his success. God knows what he's doing.

America was the "cradle of Christianity" in the minds of many....and still is in the estimations of millions even today, despite the fact that its actions as a political nation are godless. That's part of its uniqueness I guess. :p

The response of many Americans on social media if there is a problem is, "I'll pray for you" despite the fact that those prayers are never answered. Go figure. :facepalm:
Are Americans just very optimistic...or is it something else?

Wasn't Christianity founded in the heart of Judaism?...They worshiped the same God and some saw through the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and accepted Jesus as the Christ, but the majority of Jews who clung to their old ways, were its greatest critics and enemies. Do you see a pattern?

Kapalika

Premium Member
10. Hell ya guns! I don't see the problem. The gun and baby thing I'm calling bunk on tho.

9. Bestiality can fall under animal abuse and is still illegal in most local jurisdictions it just isn't explicitly written out in those states and premarital sex isn't really illegal.

8. True and I do admit that's pretty weird but it's all about the image of winning. Silly tribalism.

7. Why would we need a passport? We have an entire continent. I can travel for days and still be in the USA.

6. Blame the GOP.

5. I'm not sure on the specifics enough to say much, but most rape isn't actually violent and it could be more of a loophole with certain circumstances of date rape than something "normal" or acceptable.

4. Who isn't a patriot? Is it really not normal to see a few flags on every block?

3. Bites... wut. Like, from fights?

2. What... what are you foreigners doing during dinner that takes so long to eat???

1. I don't see what's so weird about this