• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Iranian General Killed in Airstrike

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Some seem to dislike Trump more than the orchestrators of what has been called " the most atrocious war crimes of the 21st century" in Syria, it's amazing to watch.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
When Iran's top ranking general Qaseml Suliemani was still alive, he organized militia attacks on the American embassy in Iraq; this is why our commander and chief Donald J. Trump had ordered a U.S. drone attack be appropriately done to kill Iran's top general.
Prove it. And explain how this has protected US expats all over the middle East and Asia.
Let's see how smart this attack has been, eh?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Iranian proxies committed genocide and ethnic cleansing in Syria and replaced the murdered populations with Shia Muslims to help the regime. Some dislike Trump more than them, it's pretty disturbing how they defend them but now we know what they really stand for.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is this the same Donald Trump who in 2011 said of Obama, "He has no ability to negotiate, Obama would start a war with Iran to get re-elected."

Surely not??

"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is not true. Soleimani never did that.

It's hard to say, though I would concede the possibility that the US government may be lying about the reason for the attack. They've done things like this before.

Here is saying of Khamenei about this issue:
Now, the remarkable thing is that when such events happen for the Americans—you see the extent of anti-Americanism in Baghdad and all over Iraq—again he [the American president] tweeted that they blame Iran for it and will respond to Iran. First of all, you have no right to do so (addressing the Americans). Secondly, be logical, but you are not. The people of this region hate the U.S. government. You, Americans, killed the people and committed crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Iraqis, Syrians, and Afghanis hate the Americans, and that hatred will be manifested somewhere. This hatred is the result of America's political and security movement in the region.

Source: The U.S. is taking revenge on Hashd al-Sha’bi for defeating ISIS

One thing seems clear is that whatever hatred exists, it seems to have gone on for generations. Part of the problem seems to have originated with the fact that prior to WW2, the US had almost zero involvement in the Middle East. Other nations held hegemony in the region, mainly Britain and France. The problem was that WW2 weakened Britain and France and left a power vacuum in the world, while the US and USSR were competing for hegemony in vulnerable regions.

But it also put US policymakers in a position where they had to make decisions about regions where they had very little experience and knew next to nothing about. The American people were largely insulated and left in the dark about these things. We were simply told that America was fighting for freedom and making the world safe for democracy, which implies that anyone who opposes us must simply be evil. There is no other explanation, and this is how American foreign policy has been sold to the American people since WW2. And it's clear that there are still plenty out there who fervently believe this.

Of course, a lot of people hate America for this, and this has been going on long before Trump ever came on the scene. Americans believe that what their government is doing is good, so those who tell us they hate us merely have the effect of convincing Americans that they're truly battling evil. It's not supposed to make any sense, but it gives us a good excuse to fight. More is the pity.

Over the course of my life, I've seen how many Americans from all over the political spectrum can get suckered into "war fever." It was especially acute during periods of crises involving the Middle East, such as the Iranian takeover of the US embassy in 1979 - and obviously after 9/11. Even politicians considered to be "liberal" have shown their warmongering side on occasion.

I've tended to be a peacenik myself, but people like me are in the minority. And if one expresses a desire for peace, the warmongers will viciously attack them and call them "commies" or "traitors" or worse. It becomes even more difficult whenever the people of the Middle East work themselves up into a frenzy of hatred against us. Then the warmongers can point at them and say "There, you see? They're evil! They want to destroy us all!"

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Iran will declare war. More innocent lives will be lost. But hey, its war right? All's fair in war...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The strike was retaliation for the US embassy attack in Bagdad.

The message was/is clear. "Don't ever **** with Americans, or we will **** you up".

Funny on how anti Trump'ers conveniently left that particular aspect out.

Not surprised though.
You should not be surprised to see people call out on Trump's destructive irresponsible actions, indeed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You should not be surprised to see people call out on Trump's destructive irresponsible actions, indeed.
Well if the US embassy wasn't attacked, I don't think anyone would even be discussing this.

Trump didn't start this. Iran did by attacking the embassy in Bagdad.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If that is what you think is a key point then you need to listen to what the world is saying about all this.
To kill this general who fought alongside US forces against the Taliban and in Syria has been a very very bad idea. Very bad. Let's wait and see how much damage this will cause, and how many thousands of US expats it has put in danger.
:shrug:

Well, I guess we'll see. The thing is, we've done this kind of thing before, such as taking out Bin Laden and the ISIS leader they just attacked. I'm not saying it's a good thing. In fact, I've been saying the exact opposite all along. We don't belong in the Middle East. We have no business being there. In fact, we have no business being in Asia, Europe, or Africa either. It's because of an interventionist foreign policy that we find ourselves in these crises in the first place. We never should have embarked on that kind of reckless adventurism.

But that's not up to me. Other people make those kinds of decisions, and to their discredit, they don't consult me first.

The major crime of interventionism has already been committed, and it's clear that this has led to the commission of many smaller, less significant crimes in the process. This is to be expected. I remember when there was much public debate over the invasion of Iraq before it happened, and there were a lot of warmongers and cheerleaders pushing for war. People were acting like we were going over to play a football game. And many of them are still acting like Dudley Do-Right, trying to convince people that we're running a "clean war." It's that mentality that I challenge. People who say "it's okay that we have troops over there, but killing the Iranian general, that's bad."

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Hillary Clinton approved of every non-defensive U.S. attack for the last 24 or so years, wonder where she stands on this one?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope this airstrike will noticeably speed our departure from the region. The USA has been decreasing its presence in the Middle East according to this expert writing just 17 days ago. "...the Trump administration is learning that pulling back from the Middle East is neither easy nor without risks and costs..."

https://www.cfr.org/article/post-american-middle-east

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Well if the US embassy wasn't attacked, I don't think anyone would even be discussing this.

That doesn't mean he's absolved of all consequences pertaining to this issue.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

You know, reality is a good thing to consider.

Fantasy has its own uses, but you are overindulging in it.

Twilight Hue

That doesn't mean he's absolved of all consequences pertaining to this issue.
It was a preventative strike as more attacks were being planned for the future by this man.

U.S. Strike in Iraq Kills Qassim Suleimani, Commander of Iranian Forces

Quote:

“General Suleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “General Suleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more.”

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Frankly, I'm suprised Bolton didn't get his war over that extremely suspicious tanker and subsequent drone incident. One of the very few things trump has done that I approve of was deescalating after that and calling off planned airstrikes. I may have offered praise to soon.

Yes I thought that too,indeed I was surprised he didn't over the tanker but maybe the opportunity to get this guy was too tempting and Donny boy thought it was worth the risk of escalating into a war,I have no praise for him at all.

Twilight Hue

Hillary Clinton approved of every non-defensive U.S. attack for the last 24 or so years, wonder where she stands on this one?
For me, I don't care what Hillary thinks.

I'm more interested in what Colin Powell says about the matter if anything.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
It was a preventative strike as more attacks were being planned for the future by this man.

U.S. Strike in Iraq Kills Qassim Suleimani, Commander of Iranian Forces

Quote:

“General Suleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “General Suleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more.”
I understand that. But there will be consequences. Imagine Iran executing a strike against the Vice President of America. Boy, that'll teach them to get off our grass. Oops they declared war. Millions will now suffer.