• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To theists, how do view an afterlife in comparison to this life?

Deidre

As a theist, how do you view this life in comparison to an afterlife? I believe that if an afterlife of some sort exists, it shouldn't mean that this life is 'but a test,' or we should look at this life, the here and now, as less then 'what awaits.' A troublesome concept to me, is that the Abrahamic faiths try to convince believers that this life is some sort of cosmic dress rehearsal for the upcoming 'bigger show,' which is heaven. Or hell, in some cases.

I don't like the idea of that. What do you think?

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
In Spirituality (Theism), The Journey and Destination are same. What will you do in Heaven? Serve God, What are you doing on Earth as a theist? same thing, As we're dependent Entities. So Happiness is here and now! You don't really need to cling too much onto the notion of Afterlife. This is my opinion

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
We don't devalue this life, as it is by living this life we make the one and only decision of importance. How we are going to spend eternity.

Deidre

In Spirituality (Theism), The Journey and Destination are same. What will you do in Heaven? Serve God, What are you doing on Earth as a theist? same thing, As we're dependent Entities. So Happiness is here and now! You don't really need to cling too much onto the notion of Afterlife. This is my opinion
Interesting thoughts, thank you.

We don't devalue this life, as it is by living this life we make the one and only decision of importance. How we are going to spend eternity.
I like how you put that, although, even coming back to faith now, I don't like the value I'd say, that religion places on an afterlife.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
In this life we are a soul attached to a body and experience reality in shady way. We are restricted by illusion created by mind.

Once we die, we will be released from our bodies, and we will experience existence as it is. We will be existence.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a theist, how do you view this life in comparison to an afterlife? I believe that if an afterlife of some sort exists, it shouldn't mean that this life is 'but a test,' or we should look at this life, the here and now, as less then 'what awaits.' A troublesome concept to me, is that the Abrahamic faiths try to convince believers that this life is some sort of cosmic dress rehearsal for the upcoming 'bigger show,' which is heaven. Or hell, in some cases.

I don't like the idea of that. What do you think?
I believe in reincarnation. This life is a learning experience we continue until we liberate ourselves from entanglement with the physical.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I'm a theist, but I also feel that the afterlife is a different question than that. I certainly don't think the gods quite approve of us disdaining or devaluing this life, whatever our reasons. As it says in Micah, what does the Lord require of us but to do justice, love mercy, and walk with humility? Our most essential responsibilities surely follow us from life to life to afterlife.

Gambit

This is not completely true. Some forms of Judaism do not subscribe to an afterlife.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe in reincarnation. This life is a learning experience we continue until we liberate ourselves from entanglement with the physical.
As do I. The afterlife for the vast majority outside of saints and advanced souls is a chance to review one's life on Earth and absorb the lessons that this life has taught us. If one has lead a positive life, one experiences joy (the heaven state). If one has caused pain and suffering, one experiences suffering (the hell state). But neither is permanent.

After sufficient time has past, one is ready for a new adventure in a new body.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As do I. The afterlife for the vast majority outside of saints and advanced souls is a chance to review one's life on Earth and absorb the lessons that this life has taught us. If one has lead a positive life, one experiences joy (the heaven state). If one has caused pain and suffering, one experiences suffering (the hell state). But neither is permanent.

I think you just nailed it!

Baladas

An Págánach
I am almost completely agnostic regarding the afterlife. I like to think that my spirit will merge with the Absolute, or that perhaps I could be a freely wandering spirit being of some kind. I have no idea though.

Orbit

I'm a planet
As a panentheist, I think we are returned to the elements at death at worst, or that our spirits are returned to the universe at best. I have no idea what that would look like, and I'm not sure what I think about reincarnation.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Although my tradition has teachings regarding an afterlife (reincarnation, Vaikunta, etc.), I'm strictly agnostic on what happens after we die. I much prefer to focus on the life I have now.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As a panentheist, I think we are returned to the elements at death at worst, or that our spirits are returned to the universe at best. I have no idea what that would look like, and I'm not sure what I think about reincarnation.
But have we ever parted from them?

Deidre

Hi Orbit :)
It's interesting you mention this, because this is how I've been thinking about 'life after death' lately. Our 'spirits' being from a scientific perspective...our 'energy.' It can't just 'die,' so...where does it go?

Deidre

Interesting comment! Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'advanced souls?'
:)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Interesting comment! Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'advanced souls?'
:)
To me, an advanced soul is one who has overcome the grip of the lower mind. From the Christian/Catholic tradition, Saint Francis of Assisi comes to mind. From the Islamic Sufi tradition, Rumi and Hafiz. From India, figures like Ramakrishna Paramhamsa. There are many others including from the Jewish and Buddhist traditions.

Perhaps the best way to express it is to post a Rumi poem which I think really captures the point:

The Ascent of the Soul

I died as mineral and became a plant.
I died as plant and rose to animal.
I died as animal and I was man.
Why should I fear?
When was I less by dying?
Yet, once more, I shall die as man,
To soar with angels blessed.
But even from angelhood
I must pass on.
All except God doth perish.
When I sacrificed my angel soul,
I shall become what no mind e'er conceived.
Oh, let me not exist
For non-existence proclaim in organ tones,
"To Him we shall return."