• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the Season for

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
See that's the thing with them: the ingredients list is quite similar to that for Christmas Pudding. I provided this on another thread some years ago:

And then there is Christmas cake, which is the same sort of mix of dried fruit etc., all over again, but with a rather evil layer of marzipan and icing on it, to make it even sweeter and more étouffe chrétien still.

So it can get a bit samey by the end of Christmas. But one can eat mince pies in Advent e.g. after carol services, so it's possible to get some in before you get fed up with the taste of currants, sultanas etc.
I think it can be mitigated by other foods, like lebkuchen, goose, turkey, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce anything etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Spiced fruit, often with brandy.

Sounds good.
Myself, I like eggnog. It's something I'm happy to drink year round, and happily buy it and drink it when it's in the stores.
Though if I see it againext year I found the Bailey's cake that was so good it had me smiling with every bite, which food doesn't normally do.

rocala

If anybody wants to try something a little different this Christmas, this may appeal to the more adventurous among us.

"The Tudors also ate Christmas Pie, made of a pigeon, placed inside a partridge, inside a chicken, inside a goose, inside a turkey, inside a pastry case called a coffin, served with hare and other game birds on the side - what a mouthful!"

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If anybody wants to try something a little different this Christmas, this may appeal to the more adventurous among us.

"The Tudors also ate Christmas Pie, made of a pigeon, placed inside a partridge, inside a chicken, inside a goose, inside a turkey, inside a pastry case called a coffin, served with hare and other game birds on the side - what a mouthful!"
Sounds good, to be honest!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I really want to do that but I don't think it would really be possible it is way too elaborate :(

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've never actually had it! Only tried it in a latte flavour.

I’m suspicious of this story. Were turkeys available in Tudor England? They are imports from N. America. Were they already being bred commercially at that time? Also, you would need to debone all these birds before assembling the dish, or it would be impossible to serve.

rocala

I’m suspicious of this story. Were turkeys available in Tudor England? They are imports from N. America. Were they already being bred commercially at that time? Also, you would need to debone all these birds before assembling the dish, or it would be impossible to serve.
William Strickland, a Yorkshire merchant and New World traveller, is sometimes said to have brought some of the birds to England in the 1520s. His coat of arms, granted in the 1550s has a turkey on it. So it is entirely possible that later Tudors, a select few at least, sat down to this feast. There is no hard evidence though.

I agree, I cannot see the pie being made without boning.

exchemist

Veteran Member
William Strickland, a Yorkshire merchant and New World traveller, is sometimes said to have brought some of the birds to England in the 1520s. His coat of arms, granted in the 1550s has a turkey on it. So it is entirely possible that later Tudors, a select few at least, sat down to this feast. There is no hard evidence though.

I agree, I cannot see the pie being made without boning.
Yes it could be possible, then, that at, say, the royal court, or in a handful of aristocratic households, this dish may have been prepared.

One can bone a bird and reassemble it, but it's a lot of work, especially for something small like a pigeon. Doing that for 4 or 5 of them would have been a huge effort. Definitely something for a team of cooks, in a very grand kitchen.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Yes it could be possible, then, that at, say, the royal court, or in a handful of aristocratic households, this dish may have been prepared.

One can bone a bird and reassemble it, but it's a lot of work, especially for something small like a pigeon. Doing that for 4 or 5 of them would have been a huge effort. Definitely something for a team of cooks, in a very grand kitchen.
I think it must have been more about the ostentation than about the food

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I've still got half a Christmas cake from last year. Might be OK but it will be going in the bin. :eek:

Wandering Monk

Panatone has become another favorite of mine recently. It is a fruitcake, but not like the lead-brick ones many of us are familiar with.

1700743728056.png