• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the Season for

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Mince pies!! I love these things, don't care what you think :cool::grinning:

1700688819948.png

exchemist

Veteran Member

Yes they can be nice, but a lot depends on the pastry*. I must admit I don't make them, as I save my energies for Christmas Puddings. This Sunday is Stir Up Sunday, so I'll be spending part of the afternoon concocting the mixture and the following day boiling them. They then go down in the cellar until Christmas.

*By the way I've found I can get butter puff pastry in Waitrose.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes they can be nice, but a lot depends on the pastry*. I must admit I don't make them, as I save my energies for Christmas Puddings. This Sunday is Stir Up Sunday, so I'll be spending part of the afternoon concocting the mixture and the following day boiling them. They then go down in the cellar until Christmas.

*By the way I've found I can get butter puff pastry in Waitrose.
I have some brandy ones with all butter pastry from Sainsbury's, so I'm optimistic.

It's good you've found it in Waitrose! They have a lot of good stuff and I have a local one now.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

We managed to get a jar of Robertson's mincemeat a couple of weeks ago so I'll be making some.

I made a rich fruit cake beginning of October, I'm feeding it a couple of table spoons of cognac every week until we set about it for our Saturnalia meal dessert

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Mince pies are by far the best thing about Christmas

You have to eat at least twelve though

One to give good luck for each month of the new year

Not a lot of people know that ;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have some brandy ones with all butter pastry from Sainsbury's, so I'm optimistic.

It's good you've found it in Waitrose! They have a lot of good stuff and I have a local one now.
I had in mind my earlier suggestion that I make a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie if you visit at some stage in the future.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I had in mind my earlier suggestion that I make a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie if you visit at some stage in the future.
I'll definitely be over again at some point and would love to try that! Will need to arrange it at some point.

rocala

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'll definitely be over again at some point and would love to try that! Will need to arrange it at some point.

Here is a recipe from the BBC Good Food website

Ingredients​

See that's the thing with them: the ingredients list is quite similar to that for Christmas Pudding. I provided this on another thread some years ago:

And then there is Christmas cake, which is the same sort of mix of dried fruit etc., all over again, but with a rather evil layer of marzipan and icing on it, to make it even sweeter and more étouffe chrétien still.

So it can get a bit samey by the end of Christmas. But one can eat mince pies in Advent e.g. after carol services, so it's possible to get some in before you get fed up with the taste of currants, sultanas etc.