• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought Experiment: Would you stay at home if someone told you to?

Which of these are applicable to you?

• 1. I would trust/obey THE DOCTOR and stay inside.

• 2. I would trust/obey MY COUNTRY'S LEADER and stay inside.

• 3. I would trust/obey MY RELIGIOUS LEADER and stay inside.

• 4. I would trust/obey THE POLICE and stay inside.

• 5. I 'd trust NONE of these people. Nobody can tell me to stay inside if I don't feel like it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tambourine

When would you accept a command to stay in your own home, and to not go outside (except in cases of serious emergency)?

Which of these figures would you trust?

1. A renowned doctor or medical expert tells you that it's not healthy to stay outside. They say that you need to stay inside your home in order to avoid becoming ill, or to spread illness to others.

2. Your country's political leader tells you that in order to serve your country, you need to stay inside. They remind you that all good patriots have accepted that necessity and agreed on it.

3. Your religious community leader tells you that it is God's will for you to stay at home and not go outside. They are calling on your faith, and tell you to trust in God and obey this command.

4. The police tells you that for law and order to be preserved, you need to stay in your home at all times. They say that it is illegal to go outside, and it would have serious consequences if you choose to disobey them.

How would you react?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I voted for doctors as I trust their judgment and expertise on such matters

I voted police because I think that as a general rule, one should obey the police - unless there's a really good reason not to!

And I voted for national leaders as I would hope that they'd listen to doctors and the police, and have the common interest at heart. And I know, that's quite naive!

I didn't vote for religious leaders as they are no more knowledgeable on such matters than I am!

exchemist

Veteran Member
When would you accept a command to stay in your own home, and to not go outside (except in cases of serious emergency)?

1. A renowned doctor or medical expert tells you that it's not healthy to stay outside. They say that you need to stay inside your home in order to avoid becoming ill, or to spread illness to others.

2. Your country's political leader tells you that in order to serve your country, you need to stay inside. They remind you that all good patriots have accepted that necessity and agreed on it.

3. Your religious community leader tells you that it is God's will for you to stay at home and not go outside. They are calling on your faith, and tell you to trust in God and obey this command.

4. The police tells you that for law and order to be preserved, you need to stay in your home at all times. They say that it is illegal to go outside, and it would have serious consequences if you choose to disobey them.

How would you react?
I would obey all of these authorities if they are able to win my trust by providing cogent reasons for the instruction.

I did stay inside when I had Covid-19 in March, because I understood the reasons for it provided by medical experts and the government. Our local parish priest also called off the Good Friday service at which I was due to sing and so I obeyed that too.

In a democracy, we are governed by consent, which means that authorities need to put some effort into winning trust when they want our cooperation. In Xi's China it is very different.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd weigh the facts underlying the order and make my own decision.

I'd probably be most co-operative with the medical advice. The other three would have to make a pretty good case -- or a convincing threat -- to gain my assent.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

How would you react?

Trust is something to be earned. For me, it isn't earned merely by having a title.

While I'll operate within the confines of the law, I will do my own research to determine what is fact and what is propaganda. I can obey the law without necessarily trusting those who implemented it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm distrustful of the police. Their primary concern is order, conformity and propriety. They work for the 'leaders'. My welfare is secondary.
The leaders are often a nefarious lot interested in maintaining the status quo that secures their money and power, in both senses.
Religious leaders are usually a harmless lot -- unless they have one of the above backing them up.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I voted doctor, i trust their judgement enough to follow their advice

I live in France so i should have voted government but i am British and spend a lot of time in the UK
Although the french government are more trustworthy than the British buffoon lead government i didn't vote government. I would take the french government instructions as best option, as for British government, how can anyone follow incompetence?

I don't have a religious leader and don't see how it's any business of religion to dictate such things

I didn't vote police because it depends on circumstances. Riot nearby of poisonous fumes form a factor fire, i would follow their advice. Some cop on a power trip i im not so sure

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I voted 1, but 2 also is applicable. I have full faith in the leaders of my country. They will say only what doctors/science advise.
We are staying at home for the last more than 2 months (since March 25th). We have traversed four lock-downs for various periods and are in Unlock Phase-1.
We have made mistakes and the lock-down have not worked well. We will / are suffering because of that.

Total cases: 246,628 Active: 120,406 Recovered: 119,293 Deaths: 6,929

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I didn't vote for any - I would take their information, digest it and make a decision.

Such as Covid - didn't stay home and didn't worry about masks. (may have made a different decision if living in NY City)

Tambourine

I'd probably be most co-operative with the medical advice. The other three would have to make a pretty good case -- or a convincing threat -- to gain my assent.
What would convince you, hypothetically?

I didn't vote for any - I would take their information, digest it and make a decision.

Such as Covid - didn't stay home and didn't worry about masks. (may have made a different decision if living in NY City)
On what would you base your decision?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Valjean said:

What would convince you, hypothetically
Risk-benefit analysis of facts. Give me facts.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
When would you accept a command to stay in your own home, and to not go outside (except in cases of serious emergency)? ...
It very much depends; context is important. I would seek to make an informed and responsible decision. Why do you ask?

By the way, poll options of the form "I would trust/obey ..." are less than helpful. At least try something a bit more like "I would tend to trust/obey ..." Again, context is important.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep the law where I can. Unless the law is discriminatory or in some other way bigoted, I will do what I am told to do to keep the peace in my country whether I personally agree with it or not.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I keep the law where I can. Unless the law is discriminatory or in some other way bigoted, I will do what I am told to do to keep the peace in my country whether I personally agree with it or not.
Keeping the peace means maintaining the status quo. It means suppressing progress.
Had our ancestors kept the peace, we'd still have slavery, and women would still be economic livestock.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Keeping the peace means maintaining the status quo. It means suppressing progress.
Had our ancestors kept the peace, we'd still have slavery, and women would still be economic livestock.
I guess you didn't read what I actually wrote?
Unless the law is discriminatory or in some other way bigoted,

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

How would you react?
Police and Doctor. Doctor because they are experts in health and police as they know the law.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I picked #5.
I'd go along if I thought there's good reason....but not merely obey.

Now for something to watch...
2c5a8c56a2c4708741a7845b728a512d.gif