• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thor & St. Michael

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
Being a student of several spiritual paths, I have noticed a striking similarity between the archangel Michael and the Norse god Thor. Both are champions of mankind in service of their superior figure (YHWH or Odin), both have a "magical" weapon (Michael with his fiery sword and Thor with his hammer/sword/spear), both have an epic fight/final showdown with a serpentine creature (sometimes at the Apocalypse/Ragnarok, sometimes before.) Michael is prophesied to defeat the beast at the end of time, while there are varied accounts about Thor's fight with the world serpent and when he defeats/is killed by it. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these similarities (aside from similarities between indo-european cultures), and if anyone from a different background (Hindu or any other religious path) might know of any other figures that share similarities to St. Michael or Thor.
Thanks,
Somerled

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Neo from the Matrix somewhat comes to mind. Wolverine of the X-men also comes to mind a bit.

My point being that it is easy to find similarities between various figures. Especially if we are broad with our ideas. But it makes sense why there would be some similarities. The themes that you talked about have spanned for a great amount of time. That and cultures tend to influence other cultures.

blackout

Violet.

So many of our modern mythologies- mostly in the form of movies and books--
what we call fiction--
are OBVIOUSLY and purposefully inspired by and modeled after previously existing mythologies,
of course usually with a modern twist.

I'm sure this is the same thing that has always taken place.
New mythologies that are twists on pre-existing mythologies.
In such a way, they SPEAK more effectively to their current and intended audience.
They MARVEL them more effectively.

Renji

Being a student of several spiritual paths, I have noticed a striking similarity between the archangel Michael and the Norse god Thor. Both are champions of mankind in service of their superior figure (YHWH or Odin), both have a "magical" weapon (Michael with his fiery sword and Thor with his hammer/sword/spear), both have an epic fight/final showdown with a serpentine creature (sometimes at the Apocalypse/Ragnarok, sometimes before.) Michael is prophesied to defeat the beast at the end of time, while there are varied accounts about Thor's fight with the world serpent and when he defeats/is killed by it.

In the Catholic Church, the flaming sword is actually symbolical. It represents the power of God (it's just the iconography and not necessarily literal that Michael has a flaming sword, I just don't know if the hammer is literal in the case of Thor). Also, I think, St. Michael wasn't depicted/spoken in early Christian art/tradition holding a flaming sword till the 10th century. As of the depiction of him, defeating the "serpent" (also symbolical and does not indicate that the devil is a snake monster or stuff), St. Michael is the one who led the good angels against Satan (as you know). Additional info would be that Michael is the warrior who defends God's children against the attacks of the devil (another reason why he is depicted defeating the devil, which is sometimes depicted of having a long, snake like body), the reason why he is regarded as the protector of the Church.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Being a student of several spiritual paths, I have noticed a striking similarity between the archangel Michael and the Norse god Thor. Both are champions of mankind in service of their superior figure (YHWH or Odin), both have a "magical" weapon (Michael with his fiery sword and Thor with his hammer/sword/spear), both have an epic fight/final showdown with a serpentine creature (sometimes at the Apocalypse/Ragnarok, sometimes before.) Michael is prophesied to defeat the beast at the end of time, while there are varied accounts about Thor's fight with the world serpent and when he defeats/is killed by it. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these similarities (aside from similarities between indo-european cultures), and if anyone from a different background (Hindu or any other religious path) might know of any other figures that share similarities to St. Michael or Thor.
Thanks,
Somerled
I always equated Thor with Acala/Fudo Myo-O from esoteric Buddhism.

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
I just don't know if the hammer is literal in the case of Thor

I'm pretty sure that Thor's hammer is depicted as a physical object with magical properties and a proper name "Mjolnir." I wasn't aware that Michael's sword was only figurative, but I guess it could be interpreted in a number of ways.

And as for Indra and Acala, thanks :)! I'd heard of Indra before, but I hadn't heard of Acala. I don't know that much about Eastern religions at this point (other than major themes)

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
Understood, Bob, it does make sense though, Indra is even compared to Thor (and other thunder gods) on his Wikipedia page.

Renji

I'm pretty sure that Thor's hammer is depicted as a physical object with magical properties and a proper name "Mjolnir." I wasn't aware that Michael's sword was only figurative, but I guess it could be interpreted in a number of ways.

Michael's sword doesn't have a proper name to call it ( I don't know, a light saber perhaps?:p). And yeah, it can be interpreted in number of ways (and can sometimes be subjective: The flames from it depicts the power of God, the sword can represent the protection of the children of God from the enemy or perhaps it can be the sword that protects the Church.

Leap

I have noticed a striking similarity between the archangel Michael and the Norse god Thor.........I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these similarities.

Yes, very much so, I have noticed this. So much so that I would say that my religion/spirituality/insert-word encompasses both of them in the role of Chaoskampf, which I understand as the core and essence of human religiosity - the battle of wholesomeness and accord against the desolating power of, for want of a better term, "Chaos".

Ok, first post, better wander off and look around this place now. :)

OnlyOneGod

I've read many good points of view on this topic. I have always believed in my soul that Thor and Michael are one of the same. We all know that Thursday is actually Thor's day. So one of our days is named after Thor. We know that Thor walks in the footsteps of Odin and is like Odin. We know that Loki is older than Thor. We know that he sat at Odin's side as a son and prince. We know that he's a horned god and he is subtle and sneaky with his powers. We know that he is after the power of the tree of life. We know that he wishes to sit upon the throne. We know that Loki betrayed Odin and his brothers and tried to over throw the kingdom and was cast out from amongst the Asgardians. We know that he commands the armies of the dark and has no respect for human kind. We know that he consorts with Amora the Sorceress or Pagan witch Queen. We know that Thor defends Asgard while Odin is in Odin sleep. We know that when Thor battles for Asgard, he declares, " for Odin" or "in the name of Odin and Asgard". We know Loki is to trigger Ragnarok. We know there is a dragon like creature that Thor will have to face. We know the Thor is the most beloved son of Odin even those he calls all his children. We know there are 9 realms which is the perfect order of completion. We know the Valkyries scoop up the souls of men that died honorably in battle ( we do not know what type or types of battle is fought) and send them to Valhalla or they await fro Ragnarok. Now in regards to Michael.......His name means "as or like the Lord". Michael is not only the most recognized of the angelic beings but is the most iconic being of the angelic hosts and deemed most beloved. We know Michael has knowledge of the heavens and different spheres. We know that there is a tree of life. We know that God rested on the 7th day and what we don't know is if he rests every 7th day and furthermore in Gods time we don't know how long that may be. We know the tree of Life was lifted from this planet which means it resides elsewhere. We know that Satan is Older than Michael and was first at the side of the throne. We know Satan tried to overthrow the kingdom and take the throne. We know that Satan has no respect for human kind and tries to destroy us. We know Michael could not defeat Satan unless he called upon God. Our depictions and description of Satan is a horned being of mischief, temptation, and being subtle. We know that Satan commands the dark forces / fallen angels and betrayed God and his fellow hosts. We know Satan's army rises and starts the apocolypse. We know of the releasing of the dragon and the great battle Michael will face. We know that the majority of cities in the past were named after great kings, gods, or goddesses. Therefore, S'dom and Amora could somehow be tied. We know that when we honor God and do what's right or fight or battle for what is good we stand for judgement with hopes the we enter the halls of heaven. We also know that the Messiah and Lord states, " he will fall from the height/heaven as or with lighting". Michael leads the charge as Thor and Thors hammer yields lighting. We know per the writings of Enoch that the fallen or watchers taught mankind about thunder and lighting. We have all of these facts which are a little to much of the same thing to be coincidence. Just as Samson and Hercules actually share the same name broken down to original forms and actually have the same story. We also know that many greek stories occured in the land know as Israel such as the original story of Clash of the Titan. Those events actually occured in what is now called Tel Aviv.

The most important fact is this..........just as egyptians, sumerian, persions, greeks, romans, etc followed certain gods or beings, so did the hebrews and the asgardians. The reality is at the tower of Babel the language was confounded where no one could understand one another and every one had their own languages. Ancient stories confused and lost. We are to rise above speech and words and listen with our souls. As for me and my house we serve the Lord God and there is only one. And on Thor'sday, I believe Michael kicked Satan's ***!