• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year i will start grow my own food.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The last month or so I have been thinking about becoming more self-sufficient, and go back to growing my own food on small scale that fit for one person :) And to become less in need of food stores.

The philosophy behind this is to be freer from governmental pressure and less in need of paying the government for things I don't use anyway. Honestly, I don't see a lot of good in the way the word is being governed anymore.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The last month or so I have been thinking about becoming more self-sufficient, and go back to growing my own food on small scale that fit for one person :) And to become less in need of food stores.

The philosophy behind this is to be freer from governmental pressure and less in need of paying the government for things I don't use anyway. Honestly, I don't see a lot of good in the way the word is being governed anymore.

And of course home grown always tastes better.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

What land do you own to grow food on?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What land do you own to grow food on?
I do not own any land. this will be food grown in small containers that would be enough to feed my self for as long i would need it.

images

exchemist

Veteran Member

I find the second paragraph extraordinary, given the current circumstances.

Outside of wartime, I cannot think of a crisis that requires government - and support of government - more.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I find the second paragraph extraordinary, given the current circumstances.

Outside of wartime, I cannot think of a crisis that requires government - and support of government - more.
I understand people will be thinking differently then I do, and that is, of course, good too. My way of living will probably not suit everyone :) I don't see government as needed to guide how I should or should not live my life. And the taxes we pay go mostly to the rich people anyway. (i am not opposed to paying tax) And I believe that living more of a self-sustainable lifestyle is more in tune with how we as humans were meant to live. To me, the way governments are running this world make human beings slaves to the system, and that I do oppose.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

My cardiologist recommended that I grow a garden too.

Can't beat fresh vegetables off the farm. ;0)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I do not own any land. this will be food grown in small containers that would be enough to feed my self for as long i would need it.

images

We have a bit of land outside the village but it has walnut and fruit trees with a couple of grape vines. At the southern edge. Its not really suitable for cultivation.

So

We are limited to a small courtyard and containers. We have just planted out our first potatoes in buckets. Sweet pepper will be started from seed during the week

Also we always have a great supply of strawberries from april until october,grown in our strawberry trees ;-). A length of large diameter 150mm(ish) drain pipe with one end blocked and offset holes cut in 3 rows every 9 inches along the pipe and filled with good compost. A strawberry grows in each hole. We have 50 strawberry plants that take up a couple of square feet in total. We won a village prize for garden innovation last year

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I understand people will be thinking differently then I do, and that is, of course, good too. My way of living will probably not suit everyone :) I don't see government as needed to guide how I should or should not live my life. And the taxes we pay go mostly to the rich people anyway. (i am not opposed to paying tax) And I believe that living more of a self-sustainable lifestyle is more in tune with how we as humans were meant to live. To me, the way governments are running this world make human beings slaves to the system, and that I do oppose.
I'm sorry but this is nonsense, especially coming from someone in Norway. You rely on government for the health service, utilities, roads, public transport, maintenance of law and order (via the police service and the courts), insurance against having no income, and no doubt many other things besides. All of which cost money, which the citizens obviously must pay.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm sorry but this is nonsense, especially coming from someone in Norway. You rely on government for the health service, utilities, roads, public transport, maintenance of law and order (via the police service and the courts), insurance against having no income, and no doubt many other things besides. All of which cost money, which the citizens obviously must pay.
I will pay road tax and a few other things yes, but if I can reduce the payment to the state down to maybe 10% of what it is today that would be ok. We have more or less free healthcare here, except a tiny fee each time we visit the doctor/hospital. When i can live in my own van or bus i don't say I will quit working, but i will work in a totally different way.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I can not afford a land at the moment, so when i get the camper van/bus i will be growing the plants within it. and when needed carry them outside for some sun and rain :)

The post has been edited. It makes more sense now

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A dream, almost. I would have liked more garden space behind the house but we cant have everything we want can we?

View attachment 38152
I think it is important to take one step at the time :) For me going from living in a home to "homelessness" in a van will be a big step toward something in the future, but i have many things i have to do before i actually can go that big step. So many small steps this summer, and then bigger steps in the future :) its all about how we plan it i think ( and still be able to live in the moment)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think it is important to take one step at the time :) For me going from living in a home to "homelessness" in a van will be a big step toward something in the future, but i have many things i have to do before i actually can go that big step. So many small steps this summer, and then bigger steps in the future :) its all about how we plan it i think ( and still be able to live in the moment)

All you can do is the best you can given the situation. If its small steps then that's still steps in the right direction

BTW, i guess our strawberry tree idea can be used just as well for many vegetables. Lettuce etc, maybe root veg. Extremely productive for the space used