• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year i will start grow my own food.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
All you can do is the best you can given the situation. If its small steps then that's still steps in the right direction

BTW, i guess our strawberry tree idea can be used just as well for many vegetables. Lettuce etc, maybe root veg. Extremely productive for the space used
The good thing with internet is that because there are many who have gone before me in to "homelessness" in a van or bus, there is a ton of info out there how to and how to not do something :)
So i dont fear this experience, i will embrace it fully when the time is right.

If i can be in the van/bus at the end of summer then I have reached the goal for this year. the rest will be adjustments and maybe some errors along the way :)

Terry Sampson

In 1974, my parents began investing in a large piece of property outside of a small town in northern California. They persuaded my oldest newly-married brother to move onto and oversee the land for them. My brother loved the life there; my sister-in-law endured it. During their years living on and, later, near that property, they had bee hives and harvested wax and honey, raised goats, grew much, if not all of their vegetables, and lived poor and off the land as much as possible. Now, 72 and 65 years old, they own their own home in the town near where they first lived, still have bee hives, a small garden, and can and preserve their own vegetables and fruits.

Their primary source of information in the early years was a magazine, "Mother Earth News", which now has its own website. https://www.motherearthnews.com/

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In 1974, my parents began investing in a large piece of property outside of a small town in northern California. They persuaded my oldest newly-married brother to move onto and oversee the land for them. My brother loved the life there; my sister-in-law endured it. During their years living on and, later, near that property, they had bee hives and harvested wax and honey, raised goats, grew much, if not all of their vegetables, and lived poor and off the land as much as possible. Now, 72 and 65 years old, they own their own home in the town near where they first lived, still have bee hives, a small garden, and can and preserve their own vegetables and fruits.

Their primary source of information in the early years was a magazine, "Mother Earth News", which now has its own website. https://www.motherearthnews.com/
Thank you for the link, i will have a look at it, and i am sure i can learn a lot from it :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I do not own any land. this will be food grown in small containers that would be enough to feed my self for as long i would need it.

images

Soooo...been farmin' long?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Soooo...been farmin' long?
When i was young and lived on a small farm yes it was something i did every day, now it is a tiny amount compared to that time. this is only something for me to have food on the table and be able to live as low cost as possible.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The last month or so I have been thinking about becoming more self-sufficient, and go back to growing my own food on small scale that fit for one person :) And to become less in need of food stores.

The philosophy behind this is to be freer from governmental pressure and less in need of paying the government for things I don't use anyway. Honestly, I don't see a lot of good in the way the word is being governed anymore.
be sure to search for heirloom seeds
and hopefully you will not be downwind of a gmo farm

turns out...….cross pollination can turn your crop into gmo
and you can be SUED for growing a product OWNED by Monsanto.....now Bayer

Thief

Rogue Theologian
my grandparents keep a fair size garden behind the garage
grandad did the garden
grandma did the canning

it was good
real good

exchemist

Veteran Member
I will pay road tax and a few other things yes, but if I can reduce the payment to the state down to maybe 10% of what it is today that would be ok. We have more or less free healthcare here, except a tiny fee each time we visit the doctor/hospital. When i can live in my own van or bus i don't say I will quit working, but i will work in a totally different way.
I think if you reduce your tax to 10% of what you pay now you will be free-riding on the rest of society.

I looked up how tax is spent in the UK.:
1)Welfare 24%
2) Health 20%
3) State Pension 13%
4) Education 12%
5)Debt Interest 6%
6) Defence 5%
7)Public Order 4%
8) Transport 4%
and then a lot of small items.

Assuming Norway is not wildly dissimilar, even if you vow never to claim a welfare payment and you have no kids, you benefit from well over half of these services. The fact that you say you have "free" healthcare speaks volumes. It seems "free", when you come to use it, because taxpayers pay for it.

So if you only pay10% of the tax you pay now, it looks as if you will be free-riding on everyone else. I think you should pay about 60% of what you pay now, in this new lifestyle of yours, on condition you give up the right to ever in your life claim benefit for unemployment.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think if you reduce your tax to 10% of what you pay now you will be free-riding on the rest of society.

I looked up how tax is spent in the UK.:
1)Welfare 24%
2) Health 20%
3) State Pension 13%
4) Education 12%
5)Debt Interest 6%
6) Defence 5%
7)Public Order 4%
8) Transport 4%
and then a lot of small items.

Assuming Norway is not wildly dissimilar, even if you vow never to claim a welfare payment and you have no kids, you benefit from well over half of these services. The fact that you say you have "free" healthcare speaks volumes. It seems "free", when you come to use it, because taxpayers pay for it.

So if you only pay10% of the tax you pay now, it looks as if you will be free-riding on everyone else. I think you should pay about 60% of what you pay now, in this new lifestyle of yours, on condition you give up the right to ever in your life claim benefit for unemployment.
As i said, i am not going to stay unemployed, when jobs are back up i will, of course, try to get a job, and no it is not freeriding, if I can no longer use the doctors paid by the government there is always those who work in the private sector, the cost is higher but at least then I know the government does not take all of the money. Personally i think government have to much power over humans