• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This whole "Day Without Immigrants" thing is stupid.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
c0da2006 said:
It's all rather silly. A stupid reason to take a day off, ... I can't really comment too much on what I think of the American immigration situation because I'm not clued up on it, ...
What is "rather silly" and "stupid" is your rush to take a hard stand on a subject that you're "not clued up on".

mr.guy

crapsack
Jayhawker Soule said:
What is "rather silly" and "stupid" is your rush to take a hard stand on a subject that you're "not clued up on".
Ahh, jeez Jay...

Just when i thought i could get more mileage on a tank of ignorance, YOU have to come along...

Fire Empire

Sunstone said:
So, what are you complaining about? That there are protests? (Unheard of in America!) That CNN is reporting it? (Reporting the news is a liberal plot!) That you don't agree with the protesters? (It's unAmerican to protest something I myself wouldn't!) I'm genuinely not sure what you find ridiculous here?
I find it ridiculous that these people are protesting at all. Sure they have right to do so. Fine. I'm not arguing against protests...I'm arguing that to take part in this protest is stupid. "Day without immigrants"--nonsense, their leaders are purposely trying to mislead the public from the real legislative concern which is ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. Why isn't this march called "Day without ILLEGAL immigrants" huh? Why do their leaders always refer to them as "undocumented workers" instead of ILLEGAL immigrants? Can you see the absurd smokescreen yet, or do I need to explain more of this to you?

Sunstone said:
Do you actually think that poorly, or do you just want to persuade people who think that poorly?
Explain why walking out of school demonstrates how our country might "lose" something.

Sunstone said:
Has it occured to you that illegal immigrants wouldn't be coming here if Americans weren't offering them jobs? We are providing the magnet. It's true they don't have much opportunity in their homelands, but it's also true it takes two to tango. If Americans didn't want immigrant labor, and quit hiring them, then few, if any, immigrants would come here.
Yes, and those companies should also be punished. But two wrongs don't make an american citizen.

mr.guy

crapsack
But two wrongs don't make an american citizen.
Has there ever been an occasion where "wrong" and "illegal" could be deduced to be at odds with each other?
Your attribution is misleading, for all your talk of "smokescreens".

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Has there ever been an occasion where "wrong" and "illegal" could be deduced to be at odds with each other?
Your attribution is misleading, for all your talk of "smokescreens".
Perhaps "Two broken laws don't make an American Citizen" would be more appropriate?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Actually, fire, you are quite uneducated on this little fact. I know several people in my little small podunk town and surronding towns that have been here for many years, and still have crappy jobs.

They are LEGAL immigrants, and they are trying to get treated better.

kevmicsmi

Yes, but today's lack of buying will show how much influence that people who believe in this have.
Im sorry but do you think if the same people had a medical emergency today they would boycott our free emergency medical sercive? I think not, and until I see that, i put no weight in a protest for illegals.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Great points made here! Most of the Latin American immigrants work in jobs most of us would not do. We would rather collect unemployment or welfare 1st.... But they're the lazy ones? And because of this leads to a "I'm better then you attitude" Bigotry at it's finest.The products they help produce are cheaper for you to buy. And when it came to trying to feed my family, I'd do the same.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
kevmicsmi said:
Im sorry but do you think if the same people had a medical emergency today they would boycott our free emergency medical sercive? I think not, and until I see that, i put no weight in a protest for illegals.

Free emergency medical service? I'm not sure how many generations my family has lived here, but I know I've never been able to have free emergency medical service.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Not supporting an agenda is one thing. Calling it stupid due to ignorance is another.

kevmicsmi

jeffrey said:
Great points made here! Most of the Latin American immigrants work in jobs most of us would not do. We would rather collect unemployment or welfare 1st.... But they're the lazy ones? And because of this leads to a "I'm better then you attitude" Bigotry at it's finest.The products they help produce are cheaper for you to buy. And when it came to trying to feed my family, I'd do the same.
I would too do the same thing Jeffrey, but I for one am willing to take the financial hit in inflation to even the playing field for industries, and make sure everyone is legal.

kevmicsmi

FeathersinHair said:
Free emergency medical service? I'm not sure how many generations my family has lived here, but I know I've never been able to have free emergency medical service.
Really? maybe you have no experience working in the medical field, or in jobs that are saturated with illegals....Thats fine, but please realize, emergency medical care is given without immediate charge, if your ssn is fake, how do they find you to pay????????

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Kevin, you can't put all the blame on illegals for hospitals financial problems. Their is a ton of American citizens without insurance that can't pay their hospital bills. I am in that category.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fire Empire said:
I find it ridiculous that these people are protesting at all. Sure they have right to do so. Fine. I'm not arguing against protests...I'm arguing that to take part in this protest is stupid. "Day without immigrants"--nonsense, their leaders are purposely trying to mislead the public from the real legislative concern which is ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. Why isn't this march called "Day without ILLEGAL immigrants" huh? Why do their leaders always refer to them as "undocumented workers" instead of ILLEGAL immigrants? Can you see the absurd smokescreen yet, or do I need to explain more of this to you?

So, your objection to these protests is that they are misnamed? Every group puts a positive spin on its own actions. How does this group differ from any others? How is it worse than anyone else? Who does calling it "Day without immigrants" hurt? How does it hurt them?

Explain why walking out of school demonstrates how our country might "lose" something.

You're changing the subject. If you'll bother to re-read your own post, you might notice that you were implying that immigrants are taking a day off becuase they are lazy. Do you believe that? Or were you just so contemptuous of everyone else's intellect that you thought you could get them to believe it?

Yes, and those companies should also be punished. But two wrongs don't make an american citizen.

Nice sound bite. But don't you think there might be something a tad bit strange about luring immigrants here with promises of jobs, working them hard for years in most cases, and then turning on them to say, "You are a lawbreaker! You can never become a citizen!" Doesn't that strike you as slightly more to the point than "two wrongs don't make an American citizen"?

As for the implication that illegal immigrants are lawbreakers... That's only partly true. 1st generation immigrants are 45% less likely to commit a crime than 3rd generation citizens. Again, immigrants are only 20% as likely to end up in prison as native born Americans. So, while illegal immigrants have broken laws to get here, and while they break laws to work here, they tend not to break all laws, including some of the laws that are most important to society.

Lastly, how would you solve the illegal immigration problem? Do you have a plan that provides America with the cheap labor it needs, while at the same time eliminates, or at least ameliorates, illegal immigration?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
kevmicsmi said:
Thats fine, but please realize, emergency medical care is given without immediate charge, if your ssn is fake, how do they find you to pay????????

Without immediate charge is different from 'free'. When we have free government-funded medical care for our citizens, I'll start worrying about whether or not the citizens should pay to bother to save the lives who aren't citizens.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
jeffrey said:
Kevin, you can't put all the blame on illegals for hospitals financial problems. Their is a ton of American citizens without insurance that can't pay their hospital bills. I am in that category.

As am I. Wait, that's who we should put the blame on! The growing number of citizens without insurance!

mr.guy

crapsack
kevmicsmi said:
No were not. I live in America and I would like to keep it that way thank you much.
But of course; if we applied this standard more broadly, one might sound a little...hypocritical.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
FeathersinHair said:
As am I. Wait, that's who we should put the blame on! The growing number of citizens without insurance!
WAIT! DEPORT US! :eek: ... But to where?