• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This whole "Day Without Immigrants" thing is stupid.

Fire Empire

I was watching CNN for some reason and of course all the news coverage is of these ridiculous rallys around the US right now.

Have these people gone crazy? Or are they just really lazy and need some excuse to skip out on work and school?

The debate is pretty simple to me and I'm amazed anyone can argue in favor of illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants show no respect for our law by sneaking in here, AND they make it harder for people who want to come here legally. I LIKE immigrants, but I don't like ILLEGAL immigrants who think that we owe them something just because they were able to evade border patrol.

As far as the protests, they're really proving nothing: so what if they don't buy anything today...what, are they just gonna live here and never buy anything? Yeah right! They'll buy today's goods tomorrow (if they haven't already bought them yesterday).

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think that the people protesting are trying to draw awareness to the financial influence that they have in this country. It's an unfortunate truth that some of those in power will not understand anything else.

I'm interested in how aware you are about impossible it is to legally immigrate from the countries in question. Guessing by the title you gave your thread, I'm guessing that you haven't really bothered to find out.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
FeathersinHair said:
I think that the people protesting are trying to draw awareness to the financial influence that they have in this country. It's an unfortunate truth that some of those in power will not understand anything else.

I'm interested in how aware you are about impossible it is to legally immigrate from the countries in question. Guessing by the title you gave your thread, I'm guessing that you haven't really bothered to find out.

My thoughts exactly...

Fire Empire

FeathersinHair said:
As I understand it, it takes an average of 18 years for a person with no U.S. family connections to immigrate here. However, if they are "highly skilled" (such as actors/professional athletes) their employers can bring them in for citizenship relatively quickly. Also, political refugees are reviewed on a case to case basis. So I'm aware it's not easy, and for some--impossible.

But I'm wondering why you seem to think that if foreigners disagree with OUR law, they have a right to break it?

c0da

I've just typed in "Day Without Immigrants" on google. It's all rather silly. A stupid reason to take a day off, but hey! any excuse for a sit off!. I can't really comment too much on what I think of the American immigration situation because I'm not clued up on it, but if there was one of those days here, I would be rather angry at the idiots who started it.

Fire Empire

mr.guy said:
I believe we've cornered your problem. You SHOULD have been watching FOX news.
Haha...I hope that was a joke. I should know better than to watch any news channel. My bad.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I don't think it's stupid to the people protesting. Lazy? Just a tad bit of stereotyping, eh? Being able to support their family, I never find stupid. Disrespect for the law? Umm.. Have you ever driven over the speed limit? Do you have a clue to the cost of immigration?

Fire Empire

c0da2006 said:
I've just typed in "Day Without Immigrants" on google. It's all rather silly. A stupid reason to take a day off, but hey! any excuse for a sit off!. I can't really comment too much on what I think of the American immigration situation because I'm not clued up on it, but if there was one of those days here, I would be rather angry at the idiots who started it.
Not all immigrants are taking part of it of course. The Chinese districts in New York are showing their worth by continuing to work...I think that is a better idea.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sorry, I should have given this the more lengthy response that it deserves.

Fire Empire said:
I was watching CNN for some reason and of course all the news coverage is of these ridiculous rallys around the US right now.

Yes, because the idea of people protesting for something they support or believe in is ridiculous. I don't know where these silly people got that idea...

Have these people gone crazy? Or are they just really lazy and need some excuse to skip out on work and school?

Thousands of people are lazy. It's not that they're trying to prove a point- it's that they're lazy. If you find it easier to think that way, I hope that thought brings you happiness.
The debate is pretty simple to me and I'm amazed anyone can argue in favor of illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants show no respect for our law by sneaking in here, AND they make it harder for people who want to come here legally. I LIKE immigrants, but I don't like ILLEGAL immigrants who think that we owe them something just because they were able to evade border patrol.

Again, please see the above point about the difficulty of coming here legally. Worse, in my opinion, than ignoring the laws of the US, is ignoring the pain and suffering of other human beings.

As far as the protests, they're really proving nothing: so what if they don't buy anything today...what, are they just gonna live here and never buy anything? Yeah right! They'll buy today's goods tomorrow (if they haven't already bought them yesterday).

Yes, but today's lack of buying will show how much influence that people who believe in this have.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
The point their trying to make is to show the influence they have on the economy. This is just for a day. But if some get their way, it will be everyday. The town I live in would be hurt to the point of many a business folding on a long term scale. Including Tyson's plant.

Fire Empire

feathers said:
Worse, in my opinion, than ignoring the laws of the US, is ignoring the pain and suffering of other human beings.
Ah...pain and suffering. Then how is this protest/illegal immigration going to help relieve that? If you're going to go in this direction and just absorb EVERYONE around the world who's suffering, wouldn't it be better to prioritize--start with those who are suffering the most and then work our way up to the others? For example we could send tons of boats over to Africa, say "come on guys!" and bring all of Africa back here. Move on to other third world countries, and eventually--when the worst suffering people are safe in the U.S.--then we could bring in Mexico. Is that a good plan?
feathers said:
Yes, but today's lack of buying will show how much influence that people who believe in this have.
They have no influence. Zero. It's imaginary. If they're going to live here, they WILL need to spend money. They're not going to volantarily leave, OBVIOUSLY, so there's no danger to our agriculture/construction industry. It's like some kind of poorly thought out bluff--one I can see through.

jeffrey said:
The point their trying to make is to show the influence they have on the economy. This is just for a day. But if some get their way, it will be everyday. The town I live in would be hurt to the point of many a business folding on a long term scale. Including Tyson's plant.
Tyson's should close--their chicken sucks.

To be honest, I can see both sides of the issue. People shouldn't be entering the US illegally, and if they do, they shouldn't expect to become citizens overnight, or to be able to have the rights that are reserved for citizens (e.g. voting, etc.). However, I also don't think that it should take 18 years for a person who is truly desperate to escape their country and who is truly making a good life for themselves and helping our economy to become a citizen. I can understand their desire to make their voices heard in a big way, such as a country-wide protest. As far as I know, this debate centers largely around Latino immigrants, specifically from Mexico. I love the Mexican people, their language, culture, etc., and I do hope this issue gets resolved soon. God willing.

FerventGodSeeker

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Fire Empire said:
Ah...pain and suffering. Then how is this protest/illegal immigration going to help relieve that?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe I said it was going to relieve it. Unless I'm mistaken, I was referring to drawing awareness to the situation.

If you're going to go in this direction and just absorb EVERYONE around the world who's suffering, wouldn't it be better to prioritize--start with those who are suffering the most and then work our way up to the others? For example we could send tons of boats over to Africa, say "come on guys!" and bring all of Africa back here. Move on to other third world countries, and eventually--when the worst suffering people are safe in the U.S.--then we could bring in Mexico. Is that a good plan?

Are you asking me if I think that's feasible? No, I don't think so. Would I like for it to work, if people wanted to come over? Yes. While I was born fairly late in the life of our country, it's pretty obvious that at one point one of our greatest sources of pride was our willingness to welcome people who were escaping horrible conditions elsewhere.

The New Colossus
Emma Lazarus (1849-1887)
"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame..."

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"[/SIZE][/FONT]

Alloys are stronger. What I would think would be a better plan would be for us to use what political clout we have left as a country to improve the conditions in other countries. But, as both of these are purely hypothetical and the question that was being proposed in the first place was whether or not it's logical for people to use their financial influence in order to make a point, I believe I have already answered what I think of that.
They have no influence. Zero. It's imaginary. If they're going to live here, they WILL need to spend money. They're not going to volantarily leave, OBVIOUSLY, so there's no danger to our agriculture/construction industry. It's like some kind of poorly thought out bluff--one I can see through.

Yes, I'm sure it's easy to see through from where your sitting. I wouldn't be suprised, though, if they have enormous influence. It's not only the immigrants themselves that are protesting- it's those that disagree with the proposed legislation. Hopefully, people will stay here, and, yes, they will need to spend money. I think that's rather the point of the whole thing. When they buy things, they contribute to the economy. When we contribute to the economy, (in theory) everyone benefits. By showing how much they benefit the economy, hopefully it will remind lawmakers that this is not just a 'everyone who's an immigrant out! My voters think that it's a good idea, so I support this right at the moment!' issue.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe we could have a year without illegal immigrants, or a lifetime? Lets go for it!

Booko

Deviled Hen
c0da2006 said:

There were just as many guys sitting around the Circle K gas station today, hoping someone would pick them up for a little work, than there are any other day.

Illegal immigrants are a part of our economy, but they are hardly the part that can afford to take a day off.

I'm not sure what the point of taking the kids out of school was.

mr.guy

crapsack
Mister Emu said:
Maybe we could have a year without illegal immigrants, or a lifetime? Lets go for it!
Great idea. All you have to do is allow them to become citizens. Problem solved.

Booko

Deviled Hen
jeffrey said:

Landscape and housing contractors would be unable to continue their work in Atlanta.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fire Empire said:

So, what are you complaining about? That there are protests? (Unheard of in America!) That CNN is reporting it? (Reporting the news is a liberal plot!) That you don't agree with the protesters? (It's unAmerican to protest something I myself wouldn't!) I'm genuinely not sure what you find ridiculous here?

Have these people gone crazy?

No more so than most protests in this country, I'd say.

Or are they just really lazy and need some excuse to skip out on work and school?

Do you actually think that poorly, or do you just want to persuade people who think that poorly?

Has it occured to you that illegal immigrants wouldn't be coming here if Americans weren't offering them jobs? We are providing the magnet. It's true they don't have much opportunity in their homelands, but it's also true it takes two to tango. If Americans didn't want immigrant labor, and quit hiring them, then few, if any, immigrants would come here.

Well see. The proof of whether they're doing anything to help their cause will take time to manifest itself in such areas as the legistlation now before Congress on immigration.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone gets upset with these protests? From what I've heard, they're peaceful.