• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things You Hate In Movies & TV

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh. Well you’re alright now, right???
Still a lot of anger, but there are pictures of me actually smiling and looking friendly. I basically started getting better the moment I took my final step out of that building.
But I had no problem being labeled a “millennial” because I came of age in the 2000s. Of course I’m a millennial. But those who are a bit older than me always seemed to relate more to Gen X and resent the moniker.
I think us growing up during the later years of the Cold War and being old enough to take in the counterculture of the 90s very frequently does get over looked.
"Reagan Babies" is a term Chappelle has used, with a mention to his anti-drug campaign we were raised on. And the AIDs epidemic also did cast a shadow on our childhoods.
You have much stronger ties to pre internet than my age range. You probably do identify more strongly to the experiences to Gen Xers that I simply don’t have the context for.
Growing up people did consider me Gen X, and I always thought it was proper especially given the technology divide between when I was born and those born not that much longer than me. And later on I'd find I could relate better, with things like Thundercats or Beavis and Butthead. The 90s Nickelodeon cartoons millenials are identified as growing up with, those where the shows my oldest nieces and nephews watched.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'd cite "MacGyver" as hate-worthy, but without that show,
we'd never have the running Simpsons gag of Patty &
Selma watching MacGyver, & Sideshow Bob dissing it.
The first season of MacGyver was actually good and all the MacGyverisms really worked. But then they went off into fantasy land.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There's always someone complaining.
It's called "acting".
They play people they aren't IRL.
Sometimes it's just acting. When John Wayne was made up to be Mongolian they really had the excuse that it was simpler to take an actor they had and put on make-up then getting a Mongolian and teach him to act and all of that in the 50s.
When they take a source material where a role is played by an Asian dude and change that to a white woman, one can question their thinking.
Blackface and white washing could be excused sometimes but today?

Heyo

Veteran Member
But geeks are just regular people. Sure sometimes they can have very niche interests and I know some who are a bit “emotionally distant.” (Spectrum.) But we’re not all DND obsessed emotionally awkward wallflowers, forever tinkering on our computers
Yep. The question is, how many people know this? I don't mind the exaggerated stereotype when it is clear that it is just that. Then it's funny.
But when the caricature becomes what people really believe, it becomes complicated.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Whenever the musical score is disproportionately louder than the dialogue. Some movies I have to constantly change the volume, in order to hear the dialogue without being blasted out by the music or loud explosions later on.
And the volume in theatres generally. I always have ear protection ready.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sometimes it's just acting. When John Wayne was made up to be Mongolian they really had the excuse that it was simpler to take an actor they had and put on make-up then getting a Mongolian and teach him to act and all of that in the 50s.
When they take a source material where a role is played by an Asian dude and change that to a white woman, one can question their thinking.
Blackface and white washing could be excused sometimes but today?
The choice of John Wayne to play Genghis Khan is the most
infamous of mis-castings. The actor needn't be Mongolian,
but should at least look slightly Asian.
The issue should be.....who is the best actor for the job?
Let gays play straights, & vice versa.
Oh, I'm reminded of Linda Hunt playing Billy Kwan in
The Year Of Living Dangerously. A white woman playing
an Asian dwarf....best performance in the movie by far.

Erebus

A few things that annoy the hell out of me:

Mumbling - Some films seem to think that having mumbled dialogue adds to the realism. I tend to jumble words in my head if there's background noise or if somebody isn't speaking clearly, so mumbled dialogue is enough to make me turn a film off. What's the point in watching if I have no idea what's being said?

It wasn't supernatural after all - This is predominantly a horror thing but a fairly popular plot twist is to have apparently supernatural phenomena turn out to have a more mundane explanation. So an apparently haunted house might turn out to have a deranged man living in the walls rather than a ghost (yes, that's a real twist that's been used in more than one film). I always feel let down when a film pulls that twist since I like supernatural horror.

It was all a dream - NO! This is possibly the worst twist you can use. You're effectively telling viewers that the entire story of your film was pointless.

Toilet humour and sex comedy - Humour is obviously subjective and my own tastes very much lean towards the morbid. Fart jokes, sex jokes, urine and faeces just aren't funny to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I always find it stupid when there's a sex or "love" scene and they're covered up by the sheets and still have their underwear on. Stop being so Puritan about it. No one has sex like that. Lol.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Still a lot of anger, but there are pictures of me actually smiling and looking friendly. I basically started getting better the moment I took my final step out of that building.

Oh well that’s good then.

I think us growing up during the later years of the Cold War and being old enough to take in the counterculture of the 90s very frequently does get over looked.
"Reagan Babies" is a term Chappelle has used, with a mention to his anti-drug campaign we were raised on. And the AIDs epidemic also did cast a shadow on our childhoods.

Yeah such things are footnotes in a history book for me. I was raised in a very different era, pretty much

Growing up people did consider me Gen X, and I always thought it was proper especially given the technology divide between when I was born and those born not that much longer than me. And later on I'd find I could relate better, with things like Thundercats or Beavis and Butthead. The 90s Nickelodeon cartoons millenials are identified as growing up with, those where the shows my oldest nieces and nephews watched.
Ahh well I vaguely remember Thundercats (repeats) but you’re right. I always assumed it as a show for 80s kids. Beavis and Butthead was a tiny bit out of my scope of vision. I knew of it and it’s influence. It became somewhat legendary among millennials. But I was too young to understand it during its initial run. Sort of the same with Daria, if I’m honest. Saw it first as a kid and didn’t really “get it.” Then saw it on repeat during my teen years and was like “oh, this I like.”
I’m a proper 90s kid. Though in Australia we didn’t have Nickelodeon, just had various channels that got permission to air the shows. So I did grow up with the 90s Nickelodeon shows, just on various free to air channels lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I dislike how it's acceptable for women to assault men
for saying something offensive, but not vice versa, eg, Friends.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So I did grow up with the 90s Nickelodeon shows, just on various free to air channels lol
I remember my nieces and nephews watching things like Blues Clues, Franklin, and Little Bear, but those other cartoons, like like the one with the babies and some kid with a football head before Stewie had one, I don't even remember them. It makes me think they sucked, I hated them, I should rant here, but rant about what? I found them, literally, forgettable?:confused:
And it's just how it works. I'm doing the speaking now, thus my cartoons growing up where better. Even though I barely remember then either, even ones I loved like Carebears, lmao.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember my nieces and nephews watching things like Blues Clues, Franklin, and Little Bear, but those other cartoons, like like the one with the babies and some kid with a football head before Stewie had one, I don't even remember them. It makes me think they sucked, I hated them, I should rant here, but rant about what? I found them, literally, forgettable?:confused:
And it's just how it works. I'm doing the speaking now, thus my cartoons growing up where better. Even though I barely remember then either, even ones I loved like Carebears, lmao.
Aww Hey Arnold was awesome though. A kid growing up in the Bronx with a laundry list of crazy quirky “residents” living in his home, ****** grandparents and teaching life lessons. And with a tough girl wearing a pink bow who would beat up anyone (and had a secret crush on Arnold.)
Seriously the more I think about this show the more I’m baffled that you forgot it. It’s actually pretty out there lol I mean the kid had a pet pig for crying out loud

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate how people drinking whisky & other
hard liquors gulp it down as fast as possible.
They've no time to taste it.

What puts bees under your bonnet?

I didn't read through the whole thread, so apologies if this was already mentioned...

Except on All in the Family, where there is the occasional toilet flush, no one ever uses the bathroom.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Seriously the more I think about this show the more I’m baffled that you forgot it. It’s actually pretty out there lol I mean the kid had a pet pig for crying out loud
Like I said, I remember their little kid shows like Blues Clues, but not those cartoons. I really don't remember those age range cartoons until my younger two nephews, and those cartoons I do remember because I would wonder if Spongebob was really something I should be watching with them or not, and I was way more into Fairly Odd Parents than they were (I especially thought the Schwarzenegger fairy was funny).
And speaking of Blue's Clues, the vanity of TV and movies is also a raging dingle berry. It's so bad the original Steve from Blue's Clues quit because he was going bald. :confused: