• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There is nothing that atheism (on its own) claims is 'right.' "?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"There is nothing that atheism (on its own) claims is 'right.' "

Does one agree with the above or not,please?

Regards

Courtesy post #55 from A Vestigial Mote

@A Vestigial Mote is of course correct.

Atheism makes no claims about anything except the existence of deities. It no more makes claims about morality or any other judgement calls than, say, disbelief in the literal existence of dragons.

Shushersbedamned

I'm not sure I follow you.

There are no claims associated with atheism. "Atheism" is just the word we use to describe being outside the scope of theism.

- a theist is anyone who believes in at least one god.
- an atheist is anyone who isn't a theist.
- "atheism" describes the defining characteristic for atheists (i.e. not being theists).

That's it.
I disagree and I doubt that is the description that has been "decided" upon.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My claim as an atheist is that I personally don't believe in any God. That's really all there is to it.

The reasons how a person might not believe, have a belief in any Gods can be many.
So it is not essential that the Atheism people are right in their assertions on Atheism to be right. Right, please?
Regards

A Vestigial Mote

So it is not essential that the Atheism people are right in their assertions on Atheism to be right. Right, please?
Regards
I would say I agree with this. Atheists don't have to "be right" to be atheists.

For example, there could actually exist a God and someone could still be atheist - without a belief in that God. Just as there could, actually be a "Bigfoot" and yet some people may not believe it. Please note: I am not saying that there IS a God, or that there IS Bigfoot. This post is for example purposes only.

A Vestigial Mote

@A Vestigial Mote is of course correct.

Atheism makes no claims about anything except the existence of deities. It no more makes claims about morality or any other judgement calls than, say, disbelief in the literal existence of dragons.
Thanks for mentioning me Luis. I might have missed the thread entirely... not even realizing that the quote in the title was taken from my post in the other thread!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I disagree and I doubt that is the description that has been "decided" upon.
There are certainly other definitions, but they're mostly obsolete. For instance, one older definition of "atheist" was "person who doesn't participate in the mainstream religion of a society," so Christians were "atheists" to the Romans.

... but if you have some other definition that reflects actual usage, I'd love to hear it.

And based on how I see the word used, I think we can hopefully agree on two aspects of modern mainstream usage:

- atheists actually exist. Atheism isn't just an abstract concept, but real live atheists are walking the Earth today.

- theists aren't atheists. If a person believes in even a single god, they aren't an atheist.

Do you agree with those statements?

james blunt

This is actually a better reply to the question. That, personally, one only needs to be "right" about the fact that one doesn't believe in gods in order to be "atheist."

''If I'm claiming to not believe in any Gods I ought to be right about that.''

This could be an ostensible statement and the opp does not realise that their belief could be a lie/contradiction to himself.
I would ask the opp if he believes something/a process , without giving it any description, created/manifested the substance/matter of the Universe.

Secondly when the opp agrees that something/a process created/manifested substance/matter of the universe, I will namely this something/process God.

Thus truths showing the atheist they are incorrect about how right they are!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shushersbedamned

There are certainly other definitions, but they're mostly obsolete. For instance, one older definition of "atheist" was "person who doesn't participate in the mainstream religion of a society," so Christians were "atheists" to the Romans.

... but if you have some other definition that reflects actual usage, I'd love to hear it.

And based on how I see the word used, I think we can hopefully agree on two aspects of modern mainstream usage:

- atheists actually exist. Atheism isn't just an abstract concept, but real live atheists are walking the Earth today.

- theists aren't atheists. If a person believes in even a single god, they aren't an atheist.

Do you agree with those statements?
No. Not with the latter. The former isn't saying much.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
''If I'm claiming to not believe in any Gods I ought to be right about that.''

This could be an ostensible statement and the opp does not realise that their belief could be a lie/contradiction to himself.
I would ask the opp if he believes something/a process , without giving it any description, created/manifested the substance/matter of the Universe.

No, I really wouldn't call it a belief but I don't see why the universe couldn't have always existed. I'm not really making a claim about this. I just see it as one of the many possibilities.

Secondly when the opp agrees that something/a process created/manifested substance/matter of the universe, I will namely this something/process God.

Thus truths showing the atheist they are incorrect about how right they are!

What truth? Are you claiming something as true?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If I'm claiming to not believe in any Gods I ought to be right about that. However that's the only thing I need be right about.

Out to be right is different than to be right. If one belongs to Atheism, it does not come automatically for him to right. There are no positive evidences for him to be "ought to be right", simply rejecting others does not make one right, one could be as wrong as are others.
Regards