• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Lekatt

Premium Member
I don't care how you think. I am speaking up for rational, skeptical, logical , empirical methodology as a way to build a foundation of beliefs in life. If you want to disregared that, have a dance party. I'm putting it out there. And I'm examining claims of religions to see if they hold up to logic and evidence. Because I care about what is true.
When push comes to shove all we have in this world is our personal experience. Depending on how many people agree to a "truth" makes it true. Millions of people have experienced being out of their body called NDEs. There are hundreds of Savants that show us we have lived before this life. It just depends on what you want to believe about those things that are very real because of personal experience. I will continue to believe what I experience. It does not matter to me if those without the experience believe or not.

Audie

Veteran Member
Baha’u’llah, Christ, Buddha, Muhammad, Moses, Zoroaster, Krishna, the Bab. These Great Spiritual Beings are proof and evidence of God. The effect They have on humanity is unparalleled and unprecedented in human history. Billions upon billions model their daily lives upon Their teachings thousands of years after Their death and follow Holy Books no ordinary person can write or replicate. And none can be found today who can command such devotion and love that These Beings can. The Baha’i belief is that These Beings were ‘pre-existent’ and were born in the world of God not conceived on earth and thus They were endowed with a tremendous power from God and enabled to spread Their Mission on earth despite some of the cruelest opposition to win over the hearts and minds of men and change the course of history.

Study, deep study of These Beings definitely unearths more than just an earthly form. More outside the capability of ordinary men which cannot be explained by logic, reason or the unbeliever. This Invisible Power continues to this day to inspire billions. Just because we do not understand it does not mean it is not real. It is real and does exist.
Funny.
You list a string of parallels and precedents
then say there aren't any.

Reactions: ppp

PureX

Veteran Member
You just said it, they hold a belief. Many believe Scientology is the best religion. They verified it through subjective experience. Many believe Mormonism is the only true word of God, they verified it through subjective experience.
This may be appropriate for them but if you care about what is true it is not appropriate.
Some have tested their belief in white supremacy, verified in their subjective experience. Not a method for finding truth.
And you believe you have a method for finding the truth. So you are no different from anyone else here: believing in things that you can't know to be so, but using your beliefs to try and discredit those who believe differently.
Their experience is valid. It is not true. Truth needs to be demonstrated if you care about believing true things.
Demonstrations don't equal truth. That's just your particular bias talking."Seeing is believing" but neither seeing nor believing is proof of truth.
Subjective arbitrary experiences do not constitute reasonable methods for knowing what is true.
So saith who ... you? Why should anyone listen to you? You don't know any more about 'what is' than anyone else does. And the truth, after all, is 'what is'.
I don't care how you think. I am speaking up for rational, skeptical, logical , empirical methodology as a way to build a foundation of beliefs in life.
Yes, that is clearly your chosen bias. And you believe it is the superior way. But other people have their own chosen biases. And they believe they have found the superior way, at least for them. You say; "but my way logically defeats their way!". Yet their way doesn't care very much about your logic. It relies on other things, like their own direct experience. You say; "but subjective experience is notoriously unreliable!" And yet it's clearly been shown to be reliable enough for them.

The interesting thing about the 'reality of truth' is that is isn't one coherent truth. It's a whole plethora of contradictory truths rolled together. Because the truth is both the inside and outside, the here and the there, the is and the isn't, and everything else, too. The truth is both objective AND subjective. Logical AND illogical. Fact AND fiction. Which is very, very difficult for the human brain to comprehend. Impossible, really.
If you want to disregard that, have a dance party. I'm putting it out there. And I'm examining claims of religions to see if they hold up to logic and evidence.
Why? What ever made you presume that religious claims had anything to do with logic and evidence? It's like saying, "I'm going to assess that painting of the Mona Lisa MATHEMATICALLY! Then, by golly, we'll all know the truth of it!" Religions are about living by faith. Not living by logic or evidence or probability. If people found logic and evidence sufficient by itself for living life, they wouldn't have developed and engaged in religion. But we do engage in it. And we always have. So clearly logic and evidence we not good enough.
Because I care about what is true.
That's a very dubious claim given the fact that as a limited (non-omniscient) human, you can't ever actually know what is and isn't true. All any of us can do is guess at it.
I don't care if you believe stories with zero evidence and claims about supernatural things that are not supported by any evidence? I want people who are not aware that religions sometimes indoctrinate and use apologetics which are not correct, use emotional attachments which happen the same in Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and others, and the doctrines being sold are probably not true but fictional versions of reality.
Fiction is one of the most common and effective ways of presenting and sharing perceived truths among we humans. It's a universal form of communication called "artifice". It operates along side verbal language, and the quantized language of mathematics. We use them all to help us understand our experience of existing, and share it with others.
People don't do addition "differently", people don't have a different science or another periodic table. Things are true and supported by evidence or they are not. Religion is not supported by evidence, it's syncretic stories taken from older religions and the morals, taken from morals of the time are not even used. Cultural morality is used. Hence no stoning, death for graven images, women may speak in church, and so on.
Yeah, no one cares about any of this, though, because it's artifice. It's fiction. It's representation, and metaphor. It's how we convey the deeply profound, complex, and mysterious in life to each other. That you're trying to apply logic and evidence to it is just ... weird.
Some humans are trying to promote logical, empirical thought so people are not taken in every time someone is selling something. So they have a personal epistemology that includes skepticism and evidence so they can believe as many true things as possible. So they are ALWAYS trying to debunk their beliefs HONESTLY, from people who know more, and accepting when they have held a false belief.
Like Bart Ehrman did, or Dr Richard Miller among many others who were fundamentalists.
It's good for us to share and debate (to better understand) each other's thoughts on the "truth of existence". But not if we're doing it to "defeat the opposing person's views". Not if we only seek to 'teach', but not to learn. And not if we are foolish enough to think WE have the truth, so THEY must be lying (or deceiving themselves and others).
It's not my fault religion doesn't stand up to evidence and logic.
Nor is it Leonardo da Vinci's fault that the Mona Lisa painting didn't stand up to your mathematical assessment of it. :) But then, really, why should anyone care? Why, even, do you?
And as you say all this, you probably feel the same as I do about Islam, which will outnumber Christianity in the US. And Mormonism and all other theologies you find false. That's ok, just not the one you personally believe.
Lots of people have found value and truth in lots of things that I have not. But then I have found value and truth is a few things that very few other people have, or that they even understand. Such is the nature of truth. ... And the limits of mankind.

Audie

Veteran Member
I would say that the evidence of nature points to a designer.
A designer who set the laws, principles of math ,
mass/ energy etc - set off big bang essentially-
or one who thinkers, guides, puts mountains
where it suits him, etc?

Reactions: ppp

Brian2

Veteran Member
There is no need to make any claims at all. We can choose to believe, or just to trust in whatever possibility we want. So why claim something is the truth when we can’t know it to be so? Why not just state our belief, or our hope, and leave it at that?

Many people make claims but when asked they say that does not show faith because it is based on the evidence (as if faith is never based on evidence).
They do not seem to realise that they are claiming their belief about what the evidence shows.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I would maybe, read the post you are commenting on first, maybe? So you say something at least ~ballpark related to the topic?

BTW, in that specific example I actually GAVE AN EXAMPLE OF EVIDENCE and confirmation bias. But you are not responding to that actual argument are you? No. Making vague incorrect statements is all apologetics seems to be able to do.

But I enjoy the irony of you talking about evidence. Not a subject you do business with. So it's odd how judgmental you get when you feel others are not employing evidence in a proper manner. That's really something.

How is it judgemental to see that you have faith, belief. Whether it is based on evidence or not, it is still faith/belief.
Do you think that faith is believing something without evidence? If you do, you are wrong.

And again, I have to explain,......again,...... deism arguments are not conclusive, blah blah. But if taking me out of context is the only way you can make a point then have a party.

What there is, is no evidence the universe was designed. Or evidence of a designer.

Are you saying that anti deism arguments are conclusive?
I would say that they are just arguments that some people believe.
I would also say there is evidence for a designer and some people see it and believe it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What has burden of proof got to do with if a person shows faith or not?
You just confirmed that you do not understand the burden of proof. There is not a burden of proof to demonstrate that there was no "creator". Since there is no evidence of one, one should logically withhold belief. That is not a faith position. Can you prove that fairies do not exist? I know that you can't. So is it a faith position to not believe in the existence of fairies? You should say "no' by the way.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
A designer who set the laws, principles of math ,
mass/ energy etc - set off big bang essentially-
or one who thinkers, guides, puts mountains
where it suits him, etc?

The evidence of nature shows the first. Further evidence shows the others.

Brian2

Veteran Member
You don't realize that your argument is
nothing but equivocation

You are just being vague.
Are you saying that belief based on evidence is not faith?
Are you saying that faith is belief that has no evidence?
What are you saying?