• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Me: If the evidence doesn't point to a designer, than there's no reason to posit a designer

You: I would say that the evidence of nature points to a designer.

And so we're all the way back at what evidence?

The point under discussion is invoking faith when the evidence isn't up to snuff and whether lack of evidence for god means there is no god.
Again, lack of evidence for god doesn't mean "no god" it just means we don't have any need to enter god into the equation. It doesn't mean we invoke faith and run around declaring this is no god.

You seem to want scientific evidence for God.
There is evidence in nature, but it seems it is not scientific evidence even if it is evidence to support faith.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I've read your posts on and off for a couple of years now. You are no stranger to the argument from ignorance.

But I will ask you straight out. Name a piece of evidence that does not require a pre-existing belief that a god exists, and also exclusively supports your claim that a god exists.

The existence of the genetic code.
This is what Antony Flew said when in his old age he turned to belief in God.

Audie

Veteran Member
So are you saying that if there is evidence for my faith then that means that it is not faith?
Depends on quality of evidence and how dippy
the believer is.

But yes, if you have sold evidence that water boils over a fire, no wish prayer or faith is involved.

Faith in evidence for any of the countless "gods" has all the symproms of actually being faith in one's self.

As in unwarranted trust in ones capacity to detect
and evaluate data.

See the aforementioned leaf girl.

That was faith in herself, not some god.

It was a five-pointed leaf anyway.

We Never Know

No Slack
Depends on quality of evidence and how dippy
the believer is.

But yes, if you have sold evidence that water boils over a fire, no wish prayer or faith is involved.

Faith in evidence for any of the countless "gods" has all the symproms of actually being faith in one's self.

As in unwarranted trust in ones capacity to detect
and evaluate data.

See the aforementioned leaf girl.

That was faith in herself, not some god.

It was a five-pointed leaf anyway.
'It was a five-pointed leaf anyway'

What's the significance?

Audie

Veteran Member
Come now.

Raised as a Christian, rebels and proclaims "atheist", then,
reverts. Common as dirt.

A philosopher. Not an organic chemist. No
expertise. Maybe he had opinions about
atomic submarines too.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I looked up about genetic code. Here is the question after I looked to see what scientists say about its origin: are humans smarter than the genetic code? :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"An argument from ignorance is an assertion that a claim is either true or false because of a lack of evidence to the contrary. The speaker assumes that their position is true because it has not been or cannot be proven false, or that their opponent's position is false because it has not been or cannot be proven true."

I know you have no evidence to the contrary, but do not say that my evidence is true because of that.
I also don't say that your position is false because it has not or cannot be proven true, even though it cannot be proven true.
You try to make false claims about others having faith. That is why you use an argument from ignorance.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, and no. Anthony Flew turned to a deistic God. And he did so when he was becoming senile. Not the best example to use.

How is the genetic code evidence for a God? Oh, and by the way, even when he was senile he knew your God was not the right one. You definitely should not refer to him.