• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sure I did, that was your claim that in didn’t know something that I did. When someone makes a comment like Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were fictitious people I don’t bother with that anymore, it’s a waste of time. Do I need to defend myself? Not really, it’s only out of courtesy.
No one claimed that. They were simply not the authors of the Gospels. And this is not an "atheist" claim. This is a biblical scholar claim. Many, in fact probably most, are Christian. Most Bibles even have notes that tell you that the authors of the Gospels are anonymous.

Why would it bother anyone? This is a debate forum, anyone bothered by debate is not obliged to take part.
It’s a debate forum yes, so why do you insist on misrepresenting people with your comments like saying you didn’t know such and such etc., it’s a common theme with most of the skeptics and atheists, not all but you do it as well as @Subduction Zone. You see contradictions to the Bible and you listed them yet they aren’t contradictions at all. Go ahead and pick one like the last one, does God tempt or test what was James talking about compared to Abraham? God doesn’t tempt people so they will do evil things, that’s Satan. God tests people for their own benefit, like He did Abraham. Don’t you see the difference?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It’s a debate forum yes, so why do you insist on misrepresenting people with your comments, it’s a common theme with most of the skeptics and atheists, not all but you do it as well as @Subduction Zone. You see contradictions to the Bible and you listed them yet they aren’t contradictions at all. Go ahead and pick one like the last one, does God tempt or test what was James talking about compared to Abraham? God doesn’t tempt people so they will do evil things, that’s Satan. God tests people for their own benefit, like He did Abraham. Don’t you see the difference?
You just did that repeatedly yourself.

Also, what I do is I tend to take your posts literally and just follow the logic of where they lead.

Do you realize that it was Christians that first knew that the Gospels were not written by those whose names that they bear? It was Christians that first refuted the Noah's Ark myth. In fact many of the advances that you blamed on "atheists" were done by Christians. As an atheist I would like to claim that those were atheist discoveries, but I won't make false claims like that.

joelr

https://robertcliftonrobinson.com/a-list-of-conservative-and-liberal-bible-scholars/

You already posted this. There are zero historians. Of course theologians believe their religion. They don't study the history and scrutinize th eevidence, they ASSUME THE RELIGION IS TRUE.

FOR THE SECOND TIME. Islam also has hundreds of theologians all who will tell you Allah is the only real God and Christians have screwed up the message of God.
They also begin with the assumption that their religion is true.
Are you AT ALL convinced by hundreds of Islamic scholars?? NO.

The people who honestly look at the evidence all find this to be exactly like Islam. Made up stories.

Another archeological find confirms the Bible:
Archaeology Once Again Backs Up the Bible - Behold Israel
https://beholdisrael.org/archaeology-once-again-backs-up-the-bible/

"more evidence that what you read in the Bible is 100% truth, right down to each and every historical event that it details."
So this is a crank archaeologist scam. First his paper says "may be....a name of a Biblical judge???????

But the field of Biblical archaeology never makes ridiculous claims like this. It is well known that the archaeological evidence does not support the OT narrative.
The most prolific Biblical archaeologist, William Dever:
"I am not reading the Bible as Scripture… I am in fact not even a theist. My view all along—and especially in the recent books—is first that the biblical narratives are indeed 'stories,' often fictional and almost always propagandistic, but that here and there they contain some valid historical information. That hardly makes me a 'maximalist.'[11]"

"Archaeology as it is practiced today must be able to challenge, as well as confirm, the Bible stories. Some things described there really did happen, but others did not. The Biblical narratives about Abraham, Moses, Joshua and Solomon probably reflect some historical memories of people and places, but the 'larger than life' portraits of the Bible are unrealistic and contradicted by the archaeological evidence.[12]"

Born again? If a person has never been born again can they know and understand what that is?
No they cannot. So when an unbeliever tries talking about this they say all kinds of false things like it was an emotional experience, or confirmation bias or other people change.
I have yet to hear an accurate explanation from any unbeliever on this site that comes close to an accurate definition of what it means to be born again and filled with the Holy Spirit.
As far as divisions, there are divisions but that isn’t because the Bible is unclear or unreliable, it’s because men don’t like what it says and change the meaning to fit themselves. The Bible is very clear.

If one believes they are born again. That's it, we are past that. When people believe they study scripture, learn to emulate what is considered good behavior and this is a long commitment. Born again cults will have you believe you say the words and you are magically transformed. You seem to be of this mind and don't even have a proper understanding that learning a religion takes time and effort.
Your constant judgment of other Christians shows you haven't even taken in the absolute basics yet.

None of this matters here, you are posting about archaeology and scholars.
One does not need to be a believer to see early Israelites worshipped the Canaanite Goddess Ashera as the consort of Yahweh or to see all of the updates to Christianity from Judaism were Greek and Persian myths. Why would one need be a believer to see resurrecting savior demigods are not a Christian invention?
You haven't addressed any arguments at all.

joelr

That’s problematic and proves you were never a Christian. You make up you own definitions and then claim those as the reality of what a born again believer is in truth. And you argue that.
A born again person is someone who has received God’s Spirit and become a new person, Christ in you the hope of Glory. This is real, authentic, long lasting, this is what the Bible calls a New Creation in Christ, the Old person or man is gone the new has come.
The same power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in believers. That’s what happened to me and why no one can come up with the false interpretations and deceit that originates from Satan according to the Bible.
The Holy Spirit God gives a person is the guarantee of eternal life when we die or He Returns, whichever comes first.

Every person who believes thinks they have recieved the Holy spirit and become a new person. It's the same with Islam and with Lord Krishna.
We have seen the same testimonies from all those other religions as well. Yet those are myths and the people still have the same emotional experiences. Demonstrating that your experiences are also in your mind.
If you think Satan has infiltrated the historicity and archaeology fields then you are a conspiracy theorist and are far to gone for now to ever recognize what is true.
But this discussion stands as testimony to how people can decieve themselves and refuse to see basic logical truth. There are those in Islam doing the same thing.

Why don't you ask for God for some evidence you can share with other non-believers?

joelr

All this is just nonsense, you fail to use any Scripture against a particular teaching but continue on pushing your fallacy. Many people think differently about the Bible, you say. When asked to examine those supposed contradictions and differences against the Bible? Where are they? Like you said they may be rather small differences like about food or drink. Fasting and Prayer. Don’t you think the Bible addresses these issues? A lot of freedom in these things and that’s even written how to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Professor Ehrman goes over theological contradictions in NT

joelr

You mean some biblical scholars opinion are they didn’t but many others do. Would you like the list of biblical scholars who disagree with you? If you are familiar with any good study Bible they have both views at the beginning of each book, they aren’t shy presenting both views from scholars.
I find it very fascinating the lengths atheists and skeptics go to in trying to discredit the Scriptures and to no avail. Why not just let it go, seems to really bother you all, why is that? You can talk all kinds of theory this, theory that, none can be proven yet you buy into those with no problem. Yet when talking about God, who you’re going to have to answer to, according to the Bible, it’s an allergic reaction.

Because some people care about what is actually true, not what story they want to be true. Historians who say the Gospel writers are highly educated HAVE EVIDENCE. Evidence of highly sophicticated fictive writing styles, ring structure, triadic inversions, chiasmus (one in Mark that would never happen in real life), metaphors and re-working or transfiguration of older narratives. Kings, Psalms, the Romulus narrative. Crafting Pauls letters of visions into earthly events. It's pure mythmaking.

joelr

It’s a debate forum yes, so why do you insist on misrepresenting people with your comments like saying you didn’t know such and such etc., it’s a common theme with most of the skeptics and atheists, not all but you do it as well as @Subduction Zone. You see contradictions to the Bible and you listed them yet they aren’t contradictions at all. Go ahead and pick one like the last one, does God tempt or test what was James talking about compared to Abraham? God doesn’t tempt people so they will do evil things, that’s Satan. God tests people for their own benefit, like He did Abraham. Don’t you see the difference?

Sorry, until the Persian influence on Satan, he worked for Yahweh. Took orders from Yahweh and killed families for Yahweh.

In 1 Samuel 16:14–23 Yahweh sends a "troubling spirit" to torment King Saul as a mechanism to ingratiate David with the king.[
In 1 Kings 22:19–25
Yahweh asks the Host which of them will lead Ahab astray.[18] A "spirit", whose name is not specified, but who is analogous to the satan, volunteers to be "a Lying Spirit in the mouth of all his Prophets".

Yahweh asks, "Have you considered My servant Job?"[20] The satan replies by urging Yahweh to let him torture Job, promising that Job will abandon his faith at the first tribulation.[21] Yahweh consents

The nation of Judah and its sins,[25] on trial with Yahweh as the judge and the satan standing as the prosecutor.

In 2 Samuel 24, Yahweh sends the "Angel of Yahweh" to inflict a plague against Israel for three days, killing 70,000 people as punishment for David having taken a census without his approval.[16] 1 Chronicles 21:1 repeats this story,[16] but replaces the "Angel of Yahweh" with an entity referred to as "a satan".[16]

During the Second Temple Period, when Jews were living in the Achaemenid Empire, Judaism was heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism, the religion of the Achaemenids.[26][8][27] Jewish conceptions of Satan were impacted by Angra Mainyu,[8][28] the Zoroastrian god of evil, darkness, and ignorance.[

The idea of Satan as an opponent of God and a purely evil figure seems to have taken root in Jewish pseudepigrapha during the Second Temple Period,[30] particularly in the apocalypses.[

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I mean you read it before and still don’t know what a lot of it means. That’s not the Bible’s problem, a lot of people take what others say about the Bible without looking into and studying it for themselves. Still drinking milk, or leaving it on a shelf.
And those people would probably say the same thing about you. See what you've done here? You've declared that my reading of the Bible is inaccurate, while yours is accurate. You're the one who's got it exactly right! All those other thousands of different denominations have it wrong, just by your declaration alone. Except that, we have no way to actually demonstrate which one is the correct one. All we've got, are a thousands of people declaring they're right, while thousands of others are declaring they're right, and you're declaring they're all wrong and you're right. And none of you agree with each other and none of you can demonstrate that you're actually right. That's without even mentioning all the other religions in the world who all think they've got it right but can't demonstrate that either.

Hence the problem we keep pointing out.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You mean some biblical scholars opinion are they didn’t but many others do. Would you like the list of biblical scholars who disagree with you? If you are familiar with any good study Bible they have both views at the beginning of each book, they aren’t shy presenting both views from scholars.
I find it very fascinating the lengths atheists and skeptics go to in trying to discredit the Scriptures and to no avail. Why not just let it go, seems to really bother you all, why is that? You can talk all kinds of theory this, theory that, none can be proven yet you buy into those with no problem. Yet when talking about God, who you’re going to have to answer to, according to the Bible, it’s an allergic reaction.
My Bible flat out says that the Gospels are anonymous. :shrug:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That’s problematic and proves you were never a Christian. You make up you own definitions and then claim those as the reality of what a born again believer is in truth.

Not your call to make who is or was a Christian, and arrogant of you to assume that you have that right or power, or that you can dismiss other definitions. I've explained to you why your definition of Christian is inadequate for a nonbeliever. It assumes the truth of faith-based doctrine, which makes any conclusion drawn from that belief unsound.

And you can test these differences against what the Bible says and means to get the proper application, or reject the false teaching. It’s not the Bible that’s the problem it’s people that for whatever reason change the meaning or make up their own definitions.

You seem to have lost sight of what this sub-thread was about: the many different ways that Christians interpret the same text, the one you call reliable, the one you say you but not others reading it differently understand. You're unwittingly agreeing with that premise. And yes, biblical scripture with its contradictions and vague language is a large part of the problem.

I mean you read it before and still don’t know what a lot of it means.

No, it's you that doesn't know what scripture says. You can't see contradictions. Why would the opinion of such a person about what the words mean matter to somebody who CAN see the contradictions?

I found that Scripture interprets Scripture and when the Scriptures say a plain meaning seek no other sense.

No, you interpret scripture, as do I. And you do it differently. You do it with an agenda to preserve your belief that it is divinely authored and contains deep wisdom but no errors or contradictions. I can do that too, but as an unbeliever, I have no reason to. I can be impartial.

When asked to examine those supposed contradictions and differences against the Bible? Where are they?

Right in front of your faith-based confirmation bias. Are you having trouble seeing them.

I was prepared to teach you about several biblical contradictions, but you evaded the quiz. What do you think that does for you ethos as a competent interpreter of scripture. I was there for the discussion, and you weren't.

Why would the hand waving and goal post shifting commence?

That's what biblical apologists do. Your job is to show that a book riddled with problems has none to people not reading that book through your Bible goggles. You have no chance of doing that with fallacious arguments, at least not on this side of the church door.

You're probably accustomed to that approach working in churches, where people are actually exhorted to not think critically. They are. Cognitive dissonance is the devil trying to steal your soul, so just stifle such thought and use faith instead and just believe what you are told. People are happy to do that there, and the pastor meets little or no resistance.

Then the apologist comes to a mixed debate forum like this one in the marketplace of ideas and presents the same flawed arguments, but meets a different audience, one that applies a different standard to the process, and that approach is no longer effective. He's surprised by this at first, but eventually comes to expect that kind of response. He sees it the way they would in Sunday school - emotionally and judgmentally. He sees is as obstinance, rebellion, and defines it as the work of the devil. He calls the skeptic a dissolute hedonist attempting to sin without accountability by replacing God with himself. He resents the skeptic and considers him morally flawed for that reaction.

Once again, why would the opinions of somebody who processes information that way be of interest to somebody who requires rigor in thought? This phenomenon pops up everywhere one encounters faith-based thought, not just religious discussions. Do you believe that the 2020 election was stolen, or that the virus is worse than the vaccine, or that more guns are the solution rather than the problem, or that global warming is a hoax? I can say that I would not be interested in any other opinions from such people as soon as I see any of those shibboleths of faith-based thought. How about a horoscope? Do you even read those? I don't.

And that goes for biblical apologists as well. As soon as I see something like, "What contradictions?," I have no further regard for their opinions regarding scripture. I understand that you might object to that. You want to be taken seriously and have your opinions respected like those of others, but that ship sails with, "What contradictions?"

Just because they didn’t take credit for them doesn’t mean they didn’t write them or that they aren’t true accounts.

Irrelevant. It doesn't matter who wrote them if it wasn't God. Also, we know that they aren't reliable for multiple other reasons. You don't understand the significance of the internal contradictions to skeptics because you don't see them yourself.

Too bad you ran from the quiz. I covered that for you with "[2] What were Jesus' very last words on the cross?" The answer(s) are here.

John (19:30) says that Jesus' final utterance was, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." Luke (23:46) says it was, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last."

I'm pretty certain that everybody else reading this but you can see the contradiction here. This is a fine example of the claim of believers that only they can understand what such words mean because they have the counsel of the Holy Spirit, and that skeptics that disagree should have their opinions disqualified, when in reality, the words are simple enough for children to understand and see the contradictions. It's the other way around: the apologist seems to have no ideas what he reads. This is why his opinions are disqualified by the critical thinker. Once again, what do you think that the value of such opinions are to the person who DOES see the contradiction?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That’s problematic and proves you were never a Christian. You make up you own definitions and then claim those as the reality of what a born again believer is in truth.

Not your call to make who is or was a Christian, and arrogant of you to assume that you have that right or power, or that you can dismiss other definitions. I've explained to you why your definition of Christian is inadequate for a nonbeliever. It assumes the truth of faith-based doctrine, which makes any conclusion drawn from that belief unsound.

And you can test these differences against what the Bible says and means to get the proper application, or reject the false teaching. It’s not the Bible that’s the problem it’s people that for whatever reason change the meaning or make up their own definitions.

You seem to have lost sight of what this sub-thread was about: the many different ways that Christians interpret the same text, the one you call reliable, the one you say you but not others reading it differently understand. You're unwittingly agreeing with that premise. And yes, biblical scripture with its contradictions and vague language is a large part of the problem.

I mean you read it before and still don’t know what a lot of it means.

No, it's you that doesn't know what scripture says. You can't see contradictions. Why would the opinion of such a person about what the words mean matter to somebody who CAN see the contradictions?

I found that Scripture interprets Scripture and when the Scriptures say a plain meaning seek no other sense.

No, YOU interpret scripture, as do I. And you do it differently than I do. You do it with an agenda to preserve your belief that it is divinely authored and contains deep wisdom but no errors or contradictions. I can do that too, but as an unbeliever, I have no reason to. I can be impartial.

When asked to examine those supposed contradictions and differences against the Bible? Where are they?

Right in front of your faith-based confirmation bias. Are you having trouble seeing them.

I was prepared to teach you about several biblical contradictions, but you evaded the quiz. What do you think that does for you ethos as a competent interpreter of scripture. I was there for the discussion, and you weren't.

Why would the hand waving and goal post shifting commence?

That's what biblical apologists do. Your job is to show that a book riddled with problems has none to people not reading that book through your Bible goggles. You have no chance of doing that with fallacious arguments, at least not on this side of the church door.

You're probably accustomed to that approach working in churches, where people are actually exhorted to not think critically. They are. Cognitive dissonance is the devil trying to steal your soul, so just stifle such thought and use faith instead and just believe what you are told. People are happy to do that there, and the pastor meets little or no resistance.

Then the apologist comes to a mixed debate forum like this one in the marketplace of ideas and presents the same flawed arguments, but meets a different audience that applies a different standard and psychology to the process, and the approach is no longer effective. He's surprised by this at first, but eventually comes to expect that kind of response. He judges it the way they would in Sunday school - emotionally and judgmentally. He sees is as obstinance, rebellion, and defines it as the work of the devil. He calls the skeptic a dissolute hedonist attempting to sin without accountability by replacing God with himself.

Once again, why would the opinions of somebody who processes information that way be of interest to somebody who requires rigor in thought? This phenomenon pops up everywhere one encounters faith-based thought, not just religious discussions. Do you believe that the 2020 election was stolen, or that the virus is worse than the vaccine, or that more guns are the solution rather than the problem, or that global warming is a hoax? I can say that I would not be interested in any other opinions from such people as soon as I see any of those shibboleths of faith-based thought. How about a horoscope? Do you even read those? I don't.

And that goes for biblical apologists as well. As soon as I see something like, "What contradictions?," I have no further regard for their opinions regarding scripture. I understand that you might object to that. You want to be taken seriously and have your opinions respected like those of others, but that ship sails with, "What contradictions?"

Just because they didn’t take credit for them doesn’t mean they didn’t write them or that they aren’t true accounts.

Irrelevant. It doesn't matter who wrote them if it wasn't God. Also, we know that they aren't reliable for multiple other reasons. You don't understand the significance of the internal contradictions to skeptics because you don't see them yourself.

Too bad you ran from the quiz. I covered that for you with "[2] What were Jesus' very last words on the cross?" The answer(s) are here.

John (19:30) says that Jesus' final utterance was, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." Luke (23:46) says it was, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last."

I'm pretty certain that everybody else reading this but you can see the contradiction here. This is a fine example of the claim of believers that only they can understand what such words mean because they have the counsel of the Holy Spirit, and that skeptics that disagree should have their opinions disqualified, when in reality, the words are simple enough for children to understand and see the contradictions. It's the other way around: the apologist seems to have no ideas what he reads. This is why his opinions are disqualified by the critical thinker. Once again, what do you think that the value of such opinions are to the person who DOES see the contradiction?