• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no atheism

waitasec

Veteran Member
Define reasoning.

I ask because I have seen both dogs and pigs reason their way out of their pens.

reasoning is a tool our body uses to adjust to the outside world. animals have a sense of reasoning but not to the capacity our reasoning has evolved into. there are strands in our DNA that, in theory, we can turn back on, which will heighten our sense of smell, hearing or sight. think of a blind person, their sense of hearing is more keen than a person with sight. it would have to be, in order for them to adjust to the outside world.

reasoning is a thought process. and that function in our brain is more intricate than that of an animal. but that's not to say they are not self aware.

Last edited:

AntEmpire

reasoning is a tool our body uses to adjust to the outside world. animals have a sense of reasoning but not to the capacity our reasoning has evolved into. there are strands in our DNA that, in theory, we can turn back on, which will heighten our sense of smell, hearing or sight. think of a blind person, their sense of hearing is more keen than a person with sight. it would have to be, in order for them to adjust to the outside world.

reasoning is a thought process. and that function in our brain is more intricate than that of an animal. but that's not to say they are not self aware.

Ability to generate conclusions from assumptions or premises.

All reasoning means is that we assume things and then draw conclusions from those assumptions. But we all must assume that our assumptions are dead wrong. :p

waitasec

Veteran Member
Ability to generate conclusions from assumptions or premises.

All reasoning means is that we assume things and then draw conclusions from those assumptions. But we all must assume that our assumptions are dead wrong. :p

assume our assumptions are dead wrong...
lerv it!!! :D

The Wizard

I just don't see the meaning of this question. An atheist does not import the belief in God. Those types of people do in fact exist. Emotions will be figured out more and more within time.. but there will always be a mysterious element in everything, especially the human organism.

St Giordano Bruno

If there cannot be a reason for our emotions, the time, the land(i.e. matter) then what is the cause of their existence? I bet any one atheist to dare try and give valid reason for his very existence in this universe. Only religion has a answer to this.

I put my existence down to anthropic reasoning because if the universe stumbles on every accident that is physically possible then my existence is pretty much assured god or no god, religion or no religion.

buddhadev

harish
@all atheists and@luisdantas
You just are trying to be numb to these questions,aren't you? If you are a human being then its obvious that you react to whatever happens outside your physical self. Then does'nt it seem natural to you that those reactions are the ardent mix of your physiology and emotions. Being an intellectual animal you have the natural gift of reasoning out every reaction that you make. Saying that you does'nt exist you are acting as an'other' animal;not human. Sorry.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Wow, I am being singled out? Why so? :D

You just are trying to be numb to these questions,aren't you?

No. I honestly believe they are missing the point, and wonder if that is intentional.

If you are a human being then its obvious that you react to whatever happens outside your physical self.

Not always, of course. An awful lot of things happen outside my physical self. I can't possibly know of them all, much less react to them all.

Then does'nt it seem natural to you that those reactions are the ardent mix of your physiology and emotions.

Sometimes they are, other times they are not.

Being an intellectual animal you have the natural gift of reasoning out every reaction that you make.

When I am aware of them, which is definitely not always.

Saying that you does'nt exist you are acting as an'other' animal;not human. Sorry.

I do exist, albeit provisionaly. As does Atheism, which in fact greatly predates me and will greatly outlast me.

So, what do you mean to say?

Onkara

You just are trying to be numb to these questions,aren't you? If you are a human being then its obvious that you react to whatever happens outside your physical self. Then does'nt it seem natural to you that those reactions are the ardent mix of your physiology and emotions. Being an intellectual animal you have the natural gift of reasoning out every reaction that you make. Saying that you does'nt exist you are acting as an'other' animal;not human. Sorry.

I don't agree with ad-hominem arguments. We cannot say "because you don't understand my perspective it means you are being numb or emotive" etc. I politely suggest you construct the logic around your OP and take it from there. :)

I agree there is no such thing as Atheism as a fact, it exists because people believe atheism into existence. I think it is better to just find peace for oneself and let others find theirs.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
If there cannot be a reason for our emotions, the time, the land(i.e. matter) then what is the cause of their existence? I bet any one atheist to dare try and give valid reason for his very existence in this universe. Only religion has a answer to this.
There are very practical reasons for all of the things you have listed.
they range from evolutionary biology, adaptation and survival mechanisms, to geology and astrophysics.
the theories, empirical data and content is there. the question is what reason or purpose does each of us inject into it.
religion, heritage, and tradition can fulfil much in an person's life. however evolutionary biology, geology, and the problems of time, do not seem to be part of the material on religious text books, nor did the scribes who wrote them, as smart and productive as they were had the means to verify them as we have today, such as strong telescope lenses, microscope, carbon dating, or neuron scanning.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
You just are trying to be numb to these questions,aren't you? If you are a human being then its obvious that you react to whatever happens outside your physical self. Then does'nt it seem natural to you that those reactions are the ardent mix of your physiology and emotions.

but isn't physiology subjected to chemistry and isn't chemistry subjected to our physical self?

Being an intellectual animal you have the natural gift of reasoning out every reaction that you make.

which isn't always the best option, is it?

Saying that you does'nt exist you are acting as an'other' animal;not human. Sorry.

what makes us so special? animals are sentient beings too.

buddhadev

harish
[SIZE=-1]The belief in an external world independent of the perceiving subject is the basis of all natural science. Since, however, sense perception only gives information of this external world or of "physical reality" indirectly, we can only grasp the latter by speculative means. It follows from this that our notions of physical reality can never be final. We must always be ready to change these notions—that is to say, the axiomatic basis of physics—in order to do justice to perceived facts in the most perfect way logically. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]-Einstein:cool:[/SIZE]​

buddhadev

harish
[SIZE=-1]While the Tathagata, in his teaching, constantly makes use of conceptions and ideas about them, disciples should keep in mind the unreality of all such conceptions and ideas. They should recall that the Tathagata, in making use of them in explaining the Dharma always uses them in the semblance of a raft that is of use only to cross a river. As the raft is of no further use after the river is crossed, it should be discarded. So these arbitrary conceptions of things and about things should be wholly given up as one attains enlightenment. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]-Buddha:cool:[/SIZE]​

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol

hi,

im not an atheist, :sarcastic

just wanted to say ... perhaps Atheist couldn't give you any reason for their very existence in this universe because there isn't one. :rolleyes:

but i still feel that they are very special! ... and eating two!—cupcakes with ther tea just this afternoon. and didn't eat any babies.:run:

filthy tugboat

If there cannot be a reason for our emotions, the time, the land(i.e. matter) then what is the cause of their existence?

What do you mean by "be a reason for our emotions, the time, the land(i.e. matter)"? What do you mean by cause? I'm pretty sure the cause of my existence was the conception event between my parents but perhaps you meant cause in a different manner?

I bet any one atheist to dare try and give valid reason for his very existence in this universe.

What would you consider a valid reason? Is this question open to females as well?

Only religion has a answer to this.

How does religion answer this? What is religion's answer to this? Feel free to answer for any of the religions you choose.

filthy tugboat

[SIZE=-1]The belief in an external world independent of the perceiving subject is the basis of all natural science. Since, however, sense perception only gives information of this external world or of "physical reality" indirectly, we can only grasp the latter by speculative means. It follows from this that our notions of physical reality can never be final. We must always be ready to change these notions—that is to say, the axiomatic basis of physics—in order to do justice to perceived facts in the most perfect way logically. [/SIZE]

Indeed, why is this relevant?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Oh, certainly. I don't think that anyone is only a "theist" or only an "atheist".

For instance, I am an atheist (since I don't believe in any gods) but I'm also a skeptic, humanist and secularist... among other things. "Atheism" only describes what I don't believe (and even then, only one class of thing that I don't believe); those other terms describe what I do believe. However, my approach to these philosophies/viewpoints is that they seem to work very well, not necessarily that they're absolutely, objectively true.

I guess the thing that annoys me is when people say things like "atheism has no answers! Gotcha, atheists!" ... as if this means that atheists can't have answers. Of course we can; they're just derived from things other than atheism. No single label is going to completely define anyone, whether it's "atheist", "theist", "secular humanist", "Anglican", or "lapsed Catholic".

One possibility I see is that people tend to stop listening after they hear "I'm an atheist". I think that historically, we've been so wrapped up in God and religion that a person's view on these subjects is considered all-important. "Atheist" generally implies "I reject God and religion", so at that point, the listener has already heard all he needs to hear and doesn't really care about the nuances of that particular atheist's worldview.

Furthermore, the first step to figuring out correct answers is to stop accepting the wrong ones.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

So true, and so irrelevant to the OP.