• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are no polytheists in the West.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yes, and that's the beauty of what Jesus introduced

Take note then.

A true God is the first to serve. If you God treats you like a brother, then he is a proper God. Didn´t Jesus told us "love each other the way I loved you" ?

Then by taking example from God we learn to behave. Then God cannot act like a tyrant and send people to hell because they died before asking forgiveness, and decide to never then on hear their forgiveness.

So silly. Rarely I hear a pagan god be that petty.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I bring to the OP's attention once again...

OK

Psalm 82
1 God (elohim) stands in the divine assembly; He judges among the gods (elohim).
2 How long will you judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid [them] out of the hand of the wicked.
5 They (the elohim) know not, neither will they (the elohim) understand; they (the elohim) walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6 I have said, you [are] gods (elohim); and all of you [are] the sons of the most High (bene 'elyon).
7 But you shall die like Adam, and fall like one of the Shining Ones.
8 Arise, O God (elohim), judge the earth: for you shall inherit all nations.

Elohim can be a singular (god), plural (gods) or proper (God) depending on verbs and adjectives.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Perhaps I failed in my attempt at humor in the OP. I didn't intend to gloat. My apologees to all those who were offended by it.
King, just like myself, you are a work in progress. Think about things for a moment, Gentiles have been recruting pagans for all history. Most likely you have attended church somewhere that had stained glass windows or you color eggs at easter or bring a tree into your house at Christmas time. The pagans have affected our lives and our religion as much as we have them. Do you really believe Jesus was born on Dec. 25th?

Practice your religion how you see fit, but if you think about it, if not for the Catholics, we would have not had a religion to branch away from.

How long do you think people who are evangelicals have been practicing their religion? Not that long in the scheme of things. To say that any branch of faith has things right and everyone else is going to burn in hell is not a healthy way of believing.

Myself, I leave it to the Lord to sort out. It's not our job to judge brother Jungle.

I just don't understand why you feel the need to pick other religions apart. It is as if your looking for a reason to condem them to hell fire.

Do I think I have all the answers? Absolutely not! Right now I am worried about your and my diet. Do we really want to eat pork? Are we absolutely sure it is OK?

What allows us to eat pork? Faith right? Maybe just maybe other religions just might have faith as well and just maybe amazing grace will prevail over mans judgement.

I'm so glad I don't have to judge others, which is why I wonder why you are so quick to run to judgement.

I love you brother Jungle, I ask you to pray about this. I hope you find peace and understanding.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
edit: for the purposes of this conversation we're going to have to go with the biblical definition of what a "god" is which is what people's hope and trust is in. We'll go with the true biblical definition of worship which is demonstrating that trust through action

Why?

Why should we go by the biblical definitions of god and worship when discussing religions that don't use or follow the bible?

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Ya I wonder to why one would do that ? As for me I trust in a God but since im Agnostic I dont really know what he/she would be like.

Me Myself

Back to my username
this thread is about who people's TRUST is truly in

People trust their gods, the thing is that trust can also be lost.

I trust my friends, a LOT, they can still lose my trust.

Jesus said we should judge by the fruits. I got out of catholicism because I stopped liking a lot of it´s fruits, and the tree said eat all or nothing of this tree "no cherry picking" allowed .

Likewise, if someone sees something that makes him/her lose the trust on a god, it very well may be his her responsability and duty to stop worshipping that god or to rethink about it.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
this thread is about who people's TRUST is truly in

As riverwolf said that doesn't really answer my question. The idea of a god as "someone you trust" is not unique to the bible nor did the bible invent such a concept. There's more to God as he's defined in the bible than simply "someone you trust" and trust is not exclusive to the gods as me myself said.

So why bring up the bible and say we should focus on a biblical definition when the religions you want to talk about don't use the bible? If you simply want the definition to be "a being you trust" why specify that as THE biblical definition when that can describe any number of things, is not unique to the bible, and not even all bible followers would agree that that is the "proper" definition.

Besides the OP gives the impression that this thread is about how westerners, or more specifically pagans as it seems to be, are not "real" polytheists in your view. If it's supposed to be about "who our trust is truly in", well I think you're going to have to be a bit more specific as I don't really know what you mean or what you're referring to, nor does it give credence to the idea that we must focus on the biblical definition, or at least your biblical definition, for concepts in religions that don't utilize the bible.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
As riverwolf said that doesn't really answer my question. The idea of a god as "someone you trust" is not unique to the bible nor did the bible invent such a concept. There's more to God as he's defined in the bible than simply "someone you trust" and trust is not exclusive to the gods as me myself said.

So why bring up the bible and say we should focus on a biblical definition when the religions you want to talk about don't use the bible? If you simply want the definition to be "a being you trust" why specify that as THE biblical definition when that can describe any number of things, is not unique to the bible, and not even all bible followers would agree that that is the "proper" definition.

Besides the OP gives the impression that this thread is about how westerners, or more specifically pagans as it seems to be, are not "real" polytheists in your view. If it's supposed to be about "who our trust is truly in", well I think you're going to have to be a bit more specific as I don't really know what you mean or what you're referring to, nor does it give credence to the idea that we must focus on the biblical definition, or at least your biblical definition, for concepts in religions that don't utilize the bible.

This thread is about someone or something that we trust most. That could be God or it could be your intellect, your 5 senses, sex, money, or some god like Baal. The biblical definition of "god" is simply "what one trusts most". "Gods" are not necessarily who we pray/talk to or perform spells for. My contention is westerners that claim to be polytheists, generally speaking, are for the most part products of Thomas Paine. They may believe certain dieties exist but rationalism is the dominant influence in their worldview and belief system. This thread is about what truly rules over us and directs our steps. Is it a spiritual entity like a god or God that determines our steps or is it our own sense of what we think is best? Like I said before, the ancients were so convinced that they needed the favor of their gods in order to survive that they went to some of the most extreme measures possible to try to ensure that they gods were happy. Sometimes they'd go so far as to sacrifice their own children so that their gods would smile on them. Obviously such behavior is detestable but it does demonstate who their HOPE was in. If someone who claims to be a polytheist thinks they hear their god tell them to jump, do they say "how high?" or do they say "that's an interesting suggestion"? If it's the later then these are truly not gods in the biblical sense even if their existence and/or power is acknowledged. Of course they say that their gods aren't the type that order them around, then once again we don't have a "god" in the biblical sense, we a "friend".

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
....My contention is westerners that claim to be polytheists, generally speaking, are for the most part products of Thomas Paine. They may believe certain dieties exist but rationalism is the dominant influence in their worldview and belief system....
I think you are confusing polytheism with deism.

jasonwill2

my point with the OP before it was edited was to say that "polytheism" in the West is, generally speaking, simply rationalism and relevatism with some "pagan" trimmings. It bears little resemblance to the polytheism of the ancient world when practitioners truly believed that their gods determined every aspect of their lives. I tried to put a humorous and lighthearted touch in the OP and it came off the wrong way. My apologees. Let's try to continue the discussion however

You HAVE TO either be joking or trolling. I'm a polytheist by definition. There are many lesser gods in my current system, as well as 7/9 Greater Gods (manifestations of The All, which I term: That Which Extends Within and Without).

I personally respect Lilith, but I am mostly concerned with Satan/That Which Extends Within and Without. This makes me a polytheist who recognizes hundreds of gods but chooses to focus instead only on the original god and those lesser gods that I personally resonate with.

So I may be pantheist too with what appears to be soft polytheism, but I am also a henotheistic polytheist. And that is a HARD polytheist mixed with pantheism.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
This thread is about someone or something that we trust most. That could be God or it could be your intellect, your 5 senses, sex, money, or some god like Baal. The biblical definition of "god" is simply "what one trusts most". "Gods" are not necessarily who we pray/talk to or perform spells for. My contention is westerners that claim to be polytheists, generally speaking, are for the most part products of Thomas Paine. They may believe certain dieties exist but rationalism is the dominant influence in their worldview and belief system. This thread is about what truly rules over us and directs our steps. Is it a spiritual entity like a god or God that determines our steps or is it our own sense of what we think is best? Like I said before, the ancients were so convinced that they needed the favor of their gods in order to survive that they went to some of the most extreme measures possible to try to ensure that they gods were happy. Sometimes they'd go so far as to sacrifice their own children so that their gods would smile on them. Obviously such behavior is detestable but it does demonstate who their HOPE was in. If someone who claims to be a polytheist thinks they hear their god tell them to jump, do they say "how high?" or do they say "that's an interesting suggestion"? If it's the later then these are truly not gods in the biblical sense even if their existence and/or power is acknowledged. Of course they say that their gods aren't the type that order them around, then once again we don't have a "god" in the biblical sense, we a "friend".

And again these religions don't follow the bible so why should they be concerned with what god is in the "biblical sense"?

Why should they have to conform to your definition of god in order to be considered polytheist?

"demonstrate who their hope is in?", the examples you give would just as readily demonstrate who these people were terrified of as it would who their hope was in?

Why does viewing the gods as teachers mentors and friends suddenly make them not gods in your view? And for that matter why should that view have any barring on pagans themselves or whether or not they are polytheist?

And what makes you think our trust and hope in our gods is any less potent simply because we view them as friends and teachers rather than masters?

jasonwill2

This thread is about someone or something that we trust most. That could be God or it could be your intellect, your 5 senses, sex, money,
or some god like Baal.

I do not think I can say that I trust X thing the most, just that X or Y thing seems reliable enough to certain degrees. If anything, I think I trust my younger brother more than any god, person, or thing. He's always been there for me and listened to me when no one else would.

The biblical definition of "god" is simply "what one trusts most".

I have never heard this before and do not really trust this definition.

"Gods" are not necessarily who we pray/talk to or perform spells for. My contention is westerners that claim to be polytheists, generally speaking, are for the most part products of Thomas Paine. They may believe certain dieties exist but rationalism is the dominant influence in their worldview and belief system.

Seriously?

This thread is about what truly rules over us and directs our steps. Is it a spiritual entity like a god or God that determines our steps or is it our own sense of what we think is best?

I thought it was about what we trusted most, must that always be what directs us? And why do gods need to determine our steps? Ha-Satan would slap me silly if I wanted him to direct my steps. Really unSatanic and very RHP to want gods to direct my steps.

Like I said before, the ancients were so convinced that they needed the favor of their gods in order to survive that they went to some of the most extreme measures possible to try to ensure that they gods were happy. Sometimes they'd go so far as to sacrifice their own children so that their gods would smile on them. Obviously such behavior is detestable but it does demonstate who their HOPE was in.

I am hesitant to believe that the extent of ancient sacrifice was as prolific as the Hebrews made it out to be in their enemies, given they were, well, enemies. I do not think they would be the most objective source of information.

If someone who claims to be a polytheist thinks they hear their god tell them to jump, do they say "how high?" or do they say "that's an interesting suggestion"? If it's the later then these are truly not gods in the biblical sense even if their existence and/or power is acknowledged.

I don't think that most god-follower relationships are based on such mindless obedience. And wtf is the Biblical sense? As what we trust most? Does that make my aforementioned awesome brother of mine a god? A god is a powerful supernatural entity, or something that is really good at what it does. Like a god (master/expert) of chess, or a literal supernatural god of war.

Of course they say that their gods aren't the type that order them around, then once again we don't have a "god" in the biblical sense, we a "friend".

Oh, how little you understand. Why do you even care to force your definition on people? A "god" is so often such a hollow word, that your efforts are in vain. If the thing talked about is a real, powerful, ancient, non-human entity, why is it not a god? Does it not fit the typical sense of a god?

I don't think that you get that gods, even back in the Greek and Roman times, didn't go around commanding people what to do. At least not the pre-Christian gods. Heck, Yahweh making a covenant like that with the Hebrews was very unusual. There were gods of fate, but most gods were just the force or ruler behind a certain thing. I personally think that when someone died and was powerful enough, they became the god of whatever thing they were all about (though many if not most were surely made up and not real).

Satan doesn't tell me to jump x high, not unless it serves a goal I asked him to help me with. As well, the only pagan god I really am into, Lilith, hasn't so much as ever demanded anything of me (though if she did I would probably be too afraid to refuse, more-so then refusing a request from Ha-Satan who would at least be indifferent if I turned him down).

And again these religions don't follow the bible so why should they be concerned with what god is in the "biblical sense"?

Why should they have to conform to your definition of god in order to be considered polytheist?

"demonstrate who their hope is in?", the examples you give would just as readily demonstrate who these people were terrified of as it would who their hope was in?

Why does viewing the gods as teachers mentors and friends suddenly make them not gods in your view? And for that matter why should that view have any barring on pagans themselves or whether or not they are polytheist?

And what makes you think our trust and hope in our gods is any less potent simply because we view them as friends and teachers rather than masters?

I do not think he understands polytheism at all.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The word "polytheism" means nothing more than "belief in many Gods." Therefore, simple belief in their existence is the only requirement for being one; whether they are actually worshiped is irrelevant.

Shermana

Heretic
we're going to have to go with the biblical definition of what a "god" is which is what people's hope and trust is in.
The Biblical definition of "god" is "Power", the word "El" means "power" like "Powerful being", or "Superior/overpowering being". It can be also used like "In the power of your hand". Angels are often referred to as "Elohim" (gods). The "Most high god" is often distinguished with an article (Ha/Ton/O) for the distinction of not referring to the lesser gods. He is called "god of the gods". When used in the possessive such as "god of" or "his god", the term has a definition somewhat similar to the above, in which its the being that one puts their faith in that they will actualy deliver real-world benefit through miracles in exchange for their ritual service and devotion.

Shermana

Heretic
I would say that the West is remarkably polytheistic if you include Trinitarian Christianity as a type of polytheism, which I generally would.

Indeed, the idea of "God the son" and "God the father" and "God the Spirit" is defacto 3 gods and thus Polytheism, whether they are "three persons of the same being" or not. In this respect, the Modalists and Oneness Pentacostals at least are not as Polytheistic as Trinitarians.

Nonetheless, I should add, the NT does not necessarily support Trinitarian doctrines, it's a matter of interpretations and interpolations, often with controversial Greek passages that they sometimes invent entire grammar rules to support.

Last edited: