• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists, why join a forum for various religions?

Dream Angel

It has been asked a few times why an atheist would join a religious forum. I even gave a reason in a thread about it: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=773766#post773766
This prompted me to ask a similar question.

Why would a theist join a forum with people of different beliefs?

Same with athiests and theists alike - they have their beliefs yes, but they can still have interest in other religions, want to maybe better understand the religion or try to explain to other people about their religion so they understand it better. I find it fascinating to hear everybodies points of view - as no one person is the same!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, I think this thread is a pretty good turnaround
icon14.gif

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Same with athiests and theists alike - they have their beliefs yes, but they can still have interest in other religions, want to maybe better understand the religion or try to explain to other people about their religion so they understand it better. I find it fascinating to hear everybodies points of view - as no one person is the same!

I figured most answers would be pretty much the same. Maybe that was the point of the thread. ;)
Thanks for the reply. It's good to have interest in other viewpoints.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Because it's terribly boring to just talk to people who believe exactly the same way you do. Believe me, living in Salt Lake City, I can talk to another Mormon any time I want to. :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Because all the Pagan forums I've been to are full of nasty people, and I want to learn about religions other than my own.

joeboonda

One lady who was an atheist, after she accepted Christ said that she realized that all the time she was arguing with people who believed in God, she was really trying to find someone who could actually show her that He does indeed exist.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It has been asked a few times why an atheist would join a religious forum. I even gave a reason in a thread about it: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=773766#post773766
This prompted me to ask a similar question.

because I am nosey.:D

Not really, but I am interested in what others believe, and how they think.
I believe that the only true way to comming to a conclusion about one's beliefs (and that is not just to do with religion), is to listen to all the options.

That (as far as I am concerned) is the only way to make an informed decision.

Random

I am a practicing mystic, which is to say cozy dualities and labels such as "theist" and "atheist" are not applicable to my thinking, however since I do not believe in or worship any deities as such, from my essentially non-theist viewpoint RF is simply an excellent place to find a wide range of opinions from differing sources, increase my knowlege, and (hopefully) connect on a less than superficial level with some people who share my ideas and persepctives.

Nanda

Polyanna
One lady who was an atheist, after she accepted Christ said that she realized that all the time she was arguing with people who believed in God, she was really trying to find someone who could actually show her that He does indeed exist.

So by this do you mean to say that the reason you're here is on the off chance of converting people? Because other than that, I don't see how it relates to the OP... :shrug:

joeboonda

:run:
So by this do you mean to say that the reason you're here is on the off chance of converting people? Because other than that, I don't see how it relates to the OP... :shrug:

Lol, I don't think I could ever convert anybody even if I wanted to. I do know that everyone is searching for more and more truth, or if there is truth, or if we can find it. People want to know if there is a God to believe in, or not, or if there is one, which one to believe in, how can they know, or, can they know? People want to know if there is life after death, heaven, nothing, anything, everything. We are all here to share what we have come to believe as true if anything and why, to help each other to find truth if truth can be found or if there is truth, etc., etc. Everyone has something they can contribute, I learn alot from atheists about subjects I am not an expert in, for example. I believe there is truth in every religion, but I believe there is falseness in religions as they have opposing statements about things. This forum is a good place to examine our religions, find the similiarities and the differences, and then see if we can find the truth of which difference if any is true and which is false. This is a good place to really examine what we believe and why, and learn from others who are doing the same, and share truths we feel we have come to find. Sometimes we just tell each other what we believe and leave it at that, sometimes we go into why and what lead us to that. I dunno, I enjoy being here and if someone benefits from that, which, yeah, I hope they do, then good. Have I answered the question by not really answering the question or have I not answered the question or posed questions to answers to answers to questions to answers that might be true or not or if not be true? mumble mumble blah blah blah...ramble ramble....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I like learning about other beliefs different from mine, and learning new things about my own path through discussion and debate :)

Nanda

Polyanna
Have I answered the question by not really answering the question or have I not answered the question or posed questions to answers to answers to questions to answers that might be true or not or if not be true? mumble mumble blah blah blah...ramble ramble....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lol! That seems like a good answer to me.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't think my religious beliefs have changed much by trying to understand what others believe. But some of the dead wood I knew I was carrying about has been pushed further away. resulting in a slightly more slimline meand greater certainty about the central core.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am honestly very interested in other religions. I can learn the basics on google and books but I can learn more from the members of these religions.

rojse

RF Addict
I wish to learn why there are so many differences between religious people and non-religious people, even the differences between various subgroups of each religion. I did not get very much religious education during my schooling, and none outside of it. I would like to learn about the mechanics of religion, too.

Secondly, if God is not real, as I think, why do so many millions, if not billions, of people have visions of god and so forth, and their ideals having lasted, in most cases, for hundreds, if not thousands of years? To dismiss them and their religious experiences out of hand does them all a complete disservice.

So I am here to examine various faiths and learn a bit about their way of thinking. Hope this helps.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Probabluy the same reasons the Athiests do... to learn and in turn to teach.
I would certenly like to think that I've helped a few members to look past the sterotypes of my religion and my people.

And who doesn't like a good debate now and then? :D

wa:do

PureX

Veteran Member
I suspect that I'm probably a lot more interested in HOW people think, than in what they're thinking. When I discuss theology with someone, I'm not really looking to "show them the light", nor am I looking for any great truths to open my eyes. I'm really just looking for a way to connect with other human beings that allows me to interact with them on some kind of intellectual level. Because I really am interested in how the minds of other people work. I don't exactly know why I'm interested in this. I'm just fascinated by the way different people think.